How many bags do you take on vacation?

eliza61nyc

Ok so if I'm totally honest and you have my feet over hot coals, I'll admit, traveling with me is like riding Cleopatra's barge. I am a chronic overpacker and I really believe women who go to Europe for a week and only take 2 pair of shoes are alien pod people, never to be trusted. ;)

my next trip to the world is mid April and I'm trying to get down to a very light carryon. I'm there for 4 days so I think I can do it.

For a week in the world, how many bags do you usually pack. even if you are driving but especially for those who fly?

CaptainAmerica

Me (28), wife (28), daughter (3), daughter (infant). Between the four of us, we take two large suitcases, the big ones that we struggle to keep under 50 pounds. We usually don't do signature dining so we're not packing "nice" clothes, so it's shorts, t-shirts, and two pairs of good sneakers each. The thing that takes up the most space is the diapers and other baby supplies. We're going down for a short trip next week. Four nights only and we'll be in a unit with washer and dryer so we'll be going with just one bag.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

LOL - if you are a chronic overpacker, you'll think I'm nuts. We travel carryon-only. For my family of four for a trip of 4-8 days, we pack a total of four 21-22" carryon bags and two personal items (that fit under the seats). Fully packed, each carryon weighs about 20-22 lbs. and fits easily into the overhead bins of the plane.

EACH FAMILY MEMBER (DH, me, 11YO son and 9YO daughter) HAS - a single 21-22" carryon rolling bag, containing: (1) 2 pairs of sandals (1 hiking, 1 flip-flop); (2) 2 medium packing cubes holding 5 or 6 warm-weather outfits (shorts and top) with undergarments and socks, PJs, swimsuit and rashguard; (3) for me only, an ebags "Pack-it-Flat" toiletry kit with all of my non-liquid makeup items, the whole family's toiletry items and toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, combs, meds, etc.; and (4) for me and DH only, 3-1-1 bags with liquid makeup items, moisturizer, primer, our preferred shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen, shaving foam and a laundry detergent pod or two (if our visit is going to be longer than 4-5 days, which means we'll schedule a mid-week pool morning and do laundry). Additional items (packed in small packing cubes and spread between the kids' luggage, which due to the smaller size of their clothes are only 75% full after all of their clothes are packed) include cereal, granola bars and Pop Tarts for breakfast, powdered coffee creamer, hand sanitizing wipes, glow sticks, autograph books/pens, a packable beach bag, swim goggles, disposable rain ponchos, clothespins and a cloth laundry bag.

On the way home, we've eaten all the breakfast foods we brought with us, so we have the equivalent of half a bag open for souvenirs. If we still need more room on the return trip, we just use the "beach bag," which one of the kids can adopt as their own "personal item" on the plane.

DH AND I EACH ALSO CARRY - a "personal item" for the plane (tote bag for me, backpack for him), containing our boarding passes, snacks for the flight, IDs, phones, electronics and chargers, earbuds, paperwork, everybody's sunglasses, MagicBands, a pair of shorts for ourselves and each of the kids to change into once we get to Florida. Tucked inside my tote bag is my "park bag," a tiny crossbody purse with all of the important in-park stuff - ID, credit cards, touring plan cards, cash, sunscreen stick, a couple of Band-Aids and some Tylenol, etc..

TO TRAVEL, WE WEAR - all of our bulkiest clothing: sneakers, jeans, T-shirt, ballcap (for DH and the kids) and hoodie. We're usually flying down when it's cold at home and hot in Florida, so we change into shorts on arrival and don't need the jeans again until we fly home. Our hoodies get only sporadic use (late at night, maybe, if the temperature drops too much), so there's no need for any of us to have more than one.

The key to packing light is to make a carefully-curated list ahead of time, and then stick to it ruthlessly. I used to always throw in a few extras at the last minute, "just in case." I learned over time that the "in case" never happens, and that if I'm not sure I'm going to need something, it should stay home. I also try to plan functional "capsule wardrobes" in complementary colors so that all of the clothing each of us brings can be mixed and matched easily.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

LOL - if you are a chronic overpacker, you'll think I'm nuts. For my family of four for a trip of 4-8 days, we pack a total of four 21-22" carryon bags and two personal items (that fit under the seats of the plane). Fully packed, each carryon weighs about 20-22 lbs.

EACH FAMILY MEMBER (DH, me, 11YO son and 9YO daughter) HAS - a single 21-22" carryon rolling bag, containing: (1) 2 pairs of sandals (1 hiking, 1 flip-flop); (2) 2 medium packing cubes containing 5 or 6 warm-weather outfits (shorts and top) with undergarments and socks, PJs, swimsuit and rashguard; (3) for me only, an ebags "Pack-it-Flat" toiletry kit with all of my non-liquid makeup items, the whole family's toiletry items and toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, combs, etc.; and (4) for me and DH only, 3-1-1 bags with liquid makeup items, moisturizer, primer, our preferred shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen, shaving foam and a laundry detergent pod or two (if our visit is going to be longer than 4-5 days, which means we'll schedule a mid-week pool morning and do laundry). Additional items (packed in small packing cubes and spread between the kids' luggage, which due to the smaller size of their clothes are only 75% full after all of their clothes are packed) include cereal, granola bars and Pop Tarts for breakfast, powdered coffee creamer, hand sanitizing wipes, glow sticks, autograph books/pens, a packable beach bag, swim goggles, disposable rain ponchos, clothespins and a cloth laundry bag.

DH AND I EACH ALSO CARRY - a "personal item" for the plane (tote bag for me, backpack for him), containing our boarding passes, snacks for the flight, IDs, phones, electronics and chargers, earbuds, paperwork, everybody's sunglasses, MagicBands, a pair of shorts for ourselves and each of the kids to change into once we get to Florida. Tucked inside my tote bag is my "park bag," a tiny crossbody purse with all of the important stuff - ID, credit cards, etc..

TO TRAVEL, WE WEAR - all of our bulkiest clothing: sneakers, jeans, T-shirt and hoodie. We're usually flying down when it's cold at home and hot in Florida, so we change into shorts on arrival and don't need the jeans again until we fly home.
I take it you don't fly Southwest? That's exactly how I'd pack if I had to pay for baggage fees.

Upvote 0

pug

For 2 adults during the summer time I can usually get away with 2 backpacks and 1-2 suitcases but in winter time I need 2 backpacks and 2 suitcases.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I take it you don't fly Southwest? That's exactly how I'd pack if I had to pay for baggage fees.

We usually fly JetBlue - and JetBlue did recently start charging more for a checked bag. However, we've always traveled this way as a family, even when we could have checked bags for free (both on Southwest, which we have flown a couple of times, and previously on JetBlue). Years before the kids came along, I used to travel frequently for work and after a mishap or two with checked luggage, I just committed myself to packing light and going carryon-only. I found that it made traveling so much more stress-free and convenient that I've never looked back, and my family has gamely followed suit. We're all pretty energetic [read: impatient] people, so the time we save not standing in lines in Baggage Check/Claim, and not needing more than 5 minutes to unpack or repack in our hotel room, is time we appreciate being able to spend doing other things. I feel like bringing less with us helps us focus more on our destination, and each other, rather than be distracted by all the "stuff" from home. (It's also helped "train" DH and me for our more recent jaunts to Europe, where traveling carryon-only pays huge dividends in terms of flight cost and ease of schlepping between hotels).

That being said, I realize that one woman's ease is another woman's nightmare, and that some people would be more stressed by the idea of packing light, rather than more relaxed. YMMV. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crazydisneygirl

For the 3 of us (2 adult and 1 15 year old), we take 2 suitcases which we check. Then a backpack for myself and husband. Child has his own small back pack. We try to travel light but like room in case we buy things.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

We've learned the "less is more" approach to packing, but a lot depends on where we're going and what we're doing. We spent a month in Europe last fall and each had a carry on sized suitcase and a messenger bag. But this was necessary, since we were travelling to multiple cities by train. Still checked our bags for our flights though, so we didn't have to concern ourselves with all the TSA carry on restrictions. When we fly, either we're allowed a checked bag, or we just pay for it. And we do laundry once a week or so.

If we cruise, we pack more, since we need both day and nice evening wear. But even then, we limit ourselves to 1 large suitcase each plus one personal item, like a small backpack or tote. We'll either rinse out a few things in the sink (shorter cruises), or send them out to the laundry for longer ones (we'll be sailing for a month next winter).

We typically drive to WDW, so we could pack really heavy if we wanted to. But we don't. The only thing extra is usually a bag or 2 of groceries for breakfasts in the room and a case of water.

Upvote 0

JD80

Wife and I, 4 yo and 2 yo daughter and son went for 6 days last August. We packed 1 large bag and 1 carry on (not counting a diaper bag). We brought an extra bag to bring up things we bought.

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

We (3 adults) usually end of taking 4 suitcases that weight 32-35 lbs. (on the lighter side) plus everyone has a carry on and I a camera bag. Mother and I both have pillows in our bags and an extra outfit in case of an emergency or stay over. Yea it is a lot and my DF chuckles about it, but toiletries and shoes add a lot of bulk to the bathroom bag. This February we had to bring long sleeves and jeans on top of shorts and t-shirts etc and we ended up with gorgeous weather. We did two loads of laundry to make sure we didn't run out of shorts or socks.

In the early fall when we go, we have laundry at BLT available, but we like to change in the late afternoon before dinner often times or put fresh clothes on after a swim. We do the same style when we go to Arizona as well. You always seem to have a few things extra that you don't wear, but had just in case of wardrobe malfunctions lol. I take the chance with one pair of sneakers-they dry quick hopefully!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

DW and I have learned over the years what is essential and what is excess baggage for a Disney trip. Weve pared it down to one large suitcase for the two of us and a couple of small carry ons. We now drive so we could bring more but I'd rather have room for taking back items we purchase on the trip. Having less clothing items along, somewhere in the trip we do laundry. We also used to bring a huge load of snacks along to save money but found we usually had lots left over because Disney snacks were so much more appealing.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Me (28), wife (28), daughter (3), daughter (infant). Between the four of us, we take two large suitcases, the big ones that we struggle to keep under 50 pounds. We usually don't do signature dining so we're not packing "nice" clothes, so it's shorts, t-shirts, and two pairs of good sneakers each.
We are pretty much the same way for 2 adults and a 13 year old. We also have a roller with 1 days clothes for each of us just incase something gets lost we are not totally scrambling. We also wear jeans and sweatshirts down in cold months (we are in MI) so they don't take up room in the bags.

Upvote 0

Amos1784

We fly southwest and take magical express that takes care of our luggage so we WAY overpack. My husband and I each have our own suitcase that we fill with everything needed. We tend to wear "park clothes" during the day and then change for dinners or evening. We have an additional bag that holds hair care products (mostly mine blowdryer/straightner/curling iron ect) and shoes. We like to bring at least 2 pairs of gym shoes when we go, we find that changing shoes 1/2 way through the trip saves our feet as they are just slightly different. We also at times have packed an additional suitcase with pillows and a large blanket from home. If we are there on long trips it makes the world of difference having good pillows and a familiar blanket from home.

Now, if we had to pay baggage fees OR lug these around the airport probably would change our tune a bit.

Upvote 0

Jahona

Typically I travel with a single 28inch bag for long trips, or a 24 inch bag for shorter trips. For carry on I have my trusty old Swiss Tech backpack and a small camera bag. Usually even the big 28inch bag is too big just for myself. But it makes bringing home souvenirs easier and if I'm traveling with friends I sometimes wind up packing their souvenirs as well since they tend to bring smaller bags.

Now if I'm traveling for work then it's completely different. I swap out my Samsonite for Pelicans and check multiple bags.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
My wife and I both take a full size suitcase that is checked, additionally I take a backpack for my laptop and camera as carryon, and my wife has her carryon bag. My two kids have smaller bags that are able to take carryon but out last trip we checked them for ease of boarding.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

For four of us we do 1 large suitcase that we check, then do our 4 carry ons and 4 personal items. We usually end up gate checking our carry ons so that we don't have to deal with them. I could easily pack way more but I don't want to pay a ton in baggage fees.

Upvote 0

Starlight67

my next trip to the world is mid April and I'm trying to get down to a very light carryon. I'm there for 4 days so I think I can do it.

You can absolutely do it! 4 days is the perfect amount to (comfortably) go carry-on! I used to be an overpacker too-but made the change to minimalist packing a couple years ago. I've found carry-on only to be much less stressful! No dealing with baggage claim or worrying about just WHEN the luggage will actually arrive in my hotel room via Magical Express.

I always fly to Disney. I use a rolling 22" carry-on suitcase. And for my 'personal item' I use a backpack (Under Armour Storm1--it's awesome for travel!) -carry-on goes overhead, backpack under the seat.

Packing cubes (even cheap ones-I got mine at JobLot) are KEY. They really do help make things compact. I throw a bunch of tee shirts and tank tops (rolled) in one. Underwear/socks/bathing suit in another. I include one pair of jeans, a couple shorts, a thin hoodie and two pairs of flip flops. (I wear my sneakers.) And there's still room for a ziploc of soap, sunscreen, shampoo, etc.

Make-up, tablet, chargers, sweatshirt, travel blow dryer and a gallon ziploc of granola bars for the parks go in the backpack.

If I ever start to overpack, I just remember: washers/dryers are available. Common OTC medications/hygiene products can be purchased at the resorts. And I just pare it down again!

Good luck-you'll enjoy traveling light! :happy:

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

Depending on when we go is how much we pack. If it's going to be the hot months at WDW then a carry on each. If it's January like our last trip, we each had a carry on and a checked bag.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom