How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

NelleBelle

Curious, for those who have such strong anti-tattoo opinions and have been rather rude in voicing your opinions as freely as you've been in this thread, do you go up to people with visible tattoos and share your opinions about how "trashy and disgusting" that person is and how much "superior" you are?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
My observation -and of course I could be wrong- is that tattoos peaked in their popularity a few years ago. I think fewer young (or old) people are getting tattoos these days. Yes, they're still very common, but I don't think they are trending in such a way that it will be inevitable Disney eases its tattoo policy in the near future.
As a college student in his 20s that has attended multiple different high schools and colleges, I disagree. Literally EVERYbody has a tattoo except for me. I'm currently at North Greenville University, which is a slightly strict christian college, and literally EVERYbody has at LEAST a small tattoo. It is DEFINITELY a trend.

My girlfriend has several big Disney tattoos herself. I'm tattoo free, as my major is theatre + I work in schools, so I really don't feel like covering them with makeup every day in the long run. But I like tattoos. On other people.

MuteSuperstar

I have to say the visible grim reaper tattoos on the Burger King cashier the other day worked as a sort of sobering truth in advertising.

What business wouldn't want the customer to be reminded of the dark spectre of death as they shell out 9 bucks for a combo meal that was 6 not too long ago.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I have to say the visible grim reaper tattoos on the Burger King cashier the other day worked as a sort of sobering truth in advertising.

What business wouldn't want the customer to be reminded of the dark spectre of death as they shell out 9 bucks for a combo meal that was 6 not too long ago.
I'd rather go with the "2 whoppers for $6" promotion.

Phil12

As a college student in his 20s that has attended multiple different high schools and colleges, I disagree. Literally EVERYbody has a tattoo except for me. I'm currently at North Greenville University, which is a slightly strict christian college, and literally EVERYbody has at LEAST a small tattoo. It is DEFINITELY a trend.

My girlfriend has several big Disney tattoos herself. I'm tattoo free, as my major is theatre + I work in schools, so I really don't feel like covering them with makeup every day in the long run. But I like tattoos. On other people.
You're exactly right. Tattoos are currently in vogue and widely accepted in most social circles. However, because they are subject to fashion trends, their popularity will fade as the fashion pendulum swings in the other direction. You don't see very many people wearing bell bottomed trousers or parachute pants today because they're out of fashion. You can change clothes and hair styles but removing ink is expensive.

Alice a

To the individual who thinks tattoos aren't feminine- many breast cancer survivors opt for large chest pieces/tattoos over getting implants that could actually hide cancer reemergence and delay treatment.

I get this may not be as nice for you and other men, visually, so I guess they should all just get implants and risk it so they don't offend your delicate sensibilities- joke is stil on you, since most of these women get nipple tattoos.

Personally, I think there's nothing more beautiful than a double-mastectomy survivor getting inked and wearing her shirt unbuttoned for the world to see.

And yes, I'm tattooed, and it was not long thought-out or well designed. I still love it, 15 years later.

When I was 22, I begged Carl Barat to scrawl 'libertine' on my hipbone. He was notorious for not doing this kind of thing, but I'm guessing since I was venue staff and had known their tour manager for awhile, he did it anyway.

As soon as the local crappy tattoo parlor opened the next day, I got it inked.

Not only does it still look pretty sexy, but now that I'm in corporate america, it's a little hidden piece of the me that spent almost 10 years in the music industry hidden under my clothes.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Curious, for those who have such strong anti-tattoo opinions and have been rather rude in voicing your opinions as freely as you've been in this thread, do you go up to people with visible tattoos and share your opinions about how "trashy and disgusting" that person is and how much "superior" you are?

I think the small minority on this thread who have gone overboard with their comments on tattoos (or been downright rude) have perhaps just been trying to push peoples buttons? Certainly I can't imagine (or would hope) that they're not stupid enough to approach tattoo'd strangers out and about and tell them how much they hate their tattoo's and how superior they are as a none tattoo'd person.

As for those who have merely commented about their like or dislike about tattoo's on a thread relating to tattoo's, I think they're merely relaying an opinion as is their right. For anyone who decides to get a visible tattoo, I would say to them that they surely must know that not everyone is going to like it. I mean many of us have different hairstyles, there's a reason for that which is not everyone likes the hairstyle we have. That's not prejudice against say people with permed hair 80's style, it's just a decision that it's not for them as they don't particularly like that look. I hope and are happy to think that those with tattoos are delighted to have them, they got them for themselves after an informed decision and that's all they need to worry about.

21stamps

Perfect-
64B59903-6A4A-4073-8035-807CE1EA1DEE.jpeg

Maybe not so perfect in these scenarios-
45AE27A3-3FC0-4216-A81A-71FAAFA359DF.jpeg
3862022D-2B84-44DC-89E5-23610CDC4317.jpeg

Not wanting to see visible tattoos on Cast Members or certain professionals doesn’t have to be a battle or trash talking of tattoos... it’s just a certain “look” that a company requires.

It’s kind of weird that some people are taking someone else’s tattoos so personally offensive, in general.

graphite1326

Tattoos are ALWAYS inappropriate at Disney.

If you're someone who's made the poor life choice of covering yourself with them, then YES you can be assured that I'm judging you when I see you at the park and probably concluding that your trashy and disgusting.

I know, the truth hurts, but we're not all equal and some of us truly are superior.
Yeah I went down this rode myself and agree that it is a poor life choice. I got hammered so bad I ended up deleting my post. And I see you already are being attacked. The truth does hurt for these people and all they can do as attack.

graphite1326

And we judge you at least as harshly for your ignorant, disgusting, trashy and outdated obnoxious attitudes.

It’s bizarre reading all these anti-tattoo rants like it’s the ‘50s or something. If you think about it, the only reason you hold any prejudice towards tattoos is because you were told to. Try thinking sometime.

Characters are one thing, and very specific; you don’t want to break the illusion. Someone serving me popcorn who has a little Mickey or Mom tattoo on their arm - I probably wouldn’t notice, and if I did, it probably wouldn’t register. I pity those who would spiral with thoughts of inappropriateness, the need to have or, Heaven forbid, express an opinion about it. Worry about your own issues, visible or not.
Eh I think they are trashy and I wasn't told to.

Dole Whip Happy Hour

I can't help but think in the middle of Florida summer having to wear long sleeves could be a health concern. I come from northern USA and can't imagine it. We only get a few days of high,high temps up here...I know all cast members suffer in the heat, but wouldn't the longs sleeves make it that much worse? Unhealthy work environment? People would rather see many possible helpful cast members suffer more than just see the tat?

Dole Whip Happy Hour

I purposely put my tattoo where it could be seen. I have a caduceus with the letters "IDDM" underneath on my wrist that acts as my medical alert bracelet. I wore a beaded medical alert bracelet for years but broke the wire more times than I could count when it would catch on things at work. I thought gave it many years thought before I finally decided to get it. I wasn't wearing anything to indicate that I was an insulin-dependent diabetic so I finally realized that I needed to have something on my body to indicate that I was. I love my tattoo and that I don't have to wear some clunky bracelet anymore.
I will not explain this well, but have you seen the research they are doing on using some kinds of biochemicals for tattoo dyes that might change colors to certain sugar or sodium levels in your body? Imagine a diabetic not having to prick themselves to test sugar levels, just have to check how dark a tattoo is. Possibly other health conditions could be monitored too....

OneofThree

I lived in NE for 20 years and Florida for about that long. The sleeves work both ways, tbh. Yes, they reduce evaporation (and thus cooling), but it doesn't help much because the humidity here reduces that sort of evaporation -a lot. One huge difference is the sun. Keeping the sun off of your skin with lightweight, breathable, and lightly colored clothing can help keep you cool and keep you from developing serious problems due to the directness of the sun rays here.

TrojanUSC

I think eventually it will be allowed to a certain degree simply because of the popularity of tattoos lately. It will always matter what the tattoos are though (just like you can't wear a t-shirt to the parks with swear words for example). Also, I'm sure characters will never ever be able to display their tattoos for obvious reasons.
Having said that, I really don't like that you compare tattoos to being untidy/dirty. A piece of art on someone's body is not the same as a food stain.

It will be allowed at some point not because of their popularity but because of how hard it is to find labor willing to work for a pittance in Central Florida.

Phil12

I think it would be acceptable and in character for a Disney villain such as Brom Bones or Gaston to have multiple tattoos. However it would not be acceptable for a Disney hero or heroine (such as Snow White) to have tats. Popeye is accepted because he has a very low intellect and social status. He's a sailor and they're expected to have tattoos and other bad habits such as smoking a pipe.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I think it would be acceptable and in character for a Disney villain such as Brom Bones or Gaston to have multiple tattoos. However it would not be acceptable for a Disney hero or heroine (such as Snow White) to have tats. Popeye is accepted because he has a very low intellect and social status. He's a sailor and they're expected to have tattoos and other bad habits such as smoking a pipe.

I disagree. Gaston has no ink in the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom