How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

raven

CMs are allowed to have tattoos. They are just covered with sleeves, pants or makeup while on stage. Or they are in backstage roles.
They are more lenient with CP’s too. I’ve spotted several CP’s with tats on their wrists or ankles that were clearly visible.

I think a time will come when Disney will “allow them” but with review first to see if they are tasteful. They are so common anymore.

raven

They're not supposed to be lenient or seen but unfortunately it does happen. Can't monitor everyone. Wrist tattoos should only be in certain roles, but sometimes labor is shifted around. Some try to cover up with band aids but that's not allowed either.
I just think Disney needs to lighten up a bit about little things like that. I understand they want everything to be “perfect” but if guests are concentrating on the skin of employees then there’s a bigger problem. Universal is much more lenient on personal image and guests don’t seem to mind.

Goofyernmost

Although probably not current totally, I can understand why some, Disney in particular, would associate tattoo's with a carnival that is notorious for dirty, what else am I qualified for, often drug immersed people that operate the rides. To 20th century people that indicated that these people were anti-social, in your face, what you gonna do about it type of people. That, of course, is no longer true and someone mentioned that most of the people that still have that deeply ingrained image will soon be grass fertilizer. That will probably end it, but, then again I thought that bigotry would be dead by now, but, it certainly is alive and well. So... what do I know.

Last edited:

jloucks

To me, Tattoo's are an expression of ones self. This is no different to clothing, hair color (dying), hair style or any off the other thousands of ways people choose to express themselves. I work in a office where we are required to where dress clothes Monday through Thursday, I will never understand this, you should be comfortable in your work. That would probably make you more productive. I feel the same about all other areas of presentation, be comfortable.

Where the line is drawn, I don't know. What is offensive to some is not to others and to those same people the opposite is true. For me, even a nude depicted in a tattoo would not be offensive. As long as you are not hurting (physically) anyone, than be your self. We are taught this through out our lives, that is to be ourselves, that is until someone feels you have fallen out of the box. The problem is this box is always changing depending on who you are.

Just because I don't do something doesn't mean I should force others not to do it.

With all that said, as a company, Disney will set that bar and decide what its workers can do. This will all depend on customer input as to what they will except.

Well, sorta, but I would say tats are way different than clothing and hair. Clothing and hair are easily changed. Tats, not so much.

To me, tats are a big deal. Like buying a car for life, or a house till death. I just don't see it as smart. Would anybody want to buy a painting with the understanding it has to stay on your wall for life? Ok, so now let's up the ante and instead of on the wall, it is on your body. Yikes.

The only tats I get, are the commemorative ones in memory of lost kids or siblings. They are not art. They are something else entirely.

Hayley In Wonderland

I think eventually it will be allowed to a certain degree simply because of the popularity of tattoos lately. It will always matter what the tattoos are though (just like you can't wear a t-shirt to the parks with swear words for example). Also, I'm sure characters will never ever be able to display their tattoos for obvious reasons.
Having said that, I really don't like that you compare tattoos to being untidy/dirty. A piece of art on someone's body is not the same as a food stain.

This.

I'm not sure what rules stand for the US Police, but in the UK police officers can have tattoos so long as they are not on their hands, face and neck and do not cause offence to anyone i.e. something racist.

I consider myself fairly tattooed with the bulk of my legs covered, and tattoos certainly are not dirty or untidy. Tattoos do not stop someone from doing their job or make them any less capable of doing their work.

jloucks

The same two people come to me for a job, I pick the one who is smarter and more capable, regardless of tattoos.
There is no "regardless of tattoos". Tattoos say a lot about a person. Have a giant "f the police" tat on your forehead? Not gonna get hired. How about a nice naked lady on your forearm? Nope, next please. How about a devil with a giant tongue licking a goat? Nope, leave quickly. I could go on and on as I am amusing myself, but you get the point.

Hayley In Wonderland

My point is I questioned their choices for not looking ahead. I said an arm full of tattoos remember?
But you're judging someone based on the fact that they have a tattoo. If this is your stance, would you get every single employee to strip down in front of you to make sure they don't have any tattoos because if they do they can't make "good" decisions for your company?

What if someone's family member has passed away and they have a tattoo to commemorate that? You would turn them away because they have a tattoo and therefore can't make good decisions? What a ridiculous ideology.

OneofThree

But you're judging someone based on the fact that they have a tattoo.

As I've stated, they are a complete turn-off for me, personally. At the same time, there's a big difference IMO, between having one hidden and having one displayed. As an employer, I don't really care whether you have one or not. What I care about is the image you present to my clientele, and the extent to which you value that image. Think about the number of firms which have grooming standards and dress codes. There's a reason.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Ooof. I think what may be upsetting folks here are the broad, sweeping generalizations about those that chose to have tattoos.

Btw: all my siblings and I have tattoos. I would say we’re all fairly intelligent (younger brother and I both are PhD chemists; older brother is a pharmacist; sister is an RN), respectful, good-natured, and they haven’t stopped us from obtaining high level jobs/moving up within our respective fields, making good choices, etc. That doesn’t mean I don’t think there are limitations, for at least myself (I’m not going to get a neck or face tattoo, for example). I think some people have these preconceived (and somewhat old fashioned) notions that all folks with tattoos are merely convicts, hooligans, etc. etc. I understand that it’s not for everyone, and that’s okay. In some cultures, tattoos are prohibited; in other cultures, celebrated. Regardless, I can understand why people have them, and some people don’t. However, the strong opinions/generalizations that tattooed folks are somehow less capable of a job, less feminine, or immature due to a body modification seems a bit one dimensional. I guess I could make the generalization about those whom look down upon inked folks as old farts, white men, and/or maybe too much of a pansy to get a tattoo...but that’s just painting with a broad brush.

righttrack

Tattoos are a personal expression. Disney is anything BUT personal expression. Disney has you playing a role. Does that role contain tattoos? It may or it may not. I imagine we will see some tattoos in the future, we're going to run out of people who don't have them, lol. I do think that the roles will dictate what can and can't be shown.

I know it's not politically correct to say this but tattoos do limit what you can do in life. There is a scale and at one end is personal choice and at the other end is complete conformity and people need to consciously choose where they want to be on that scale. Tattoos can be a permanent decision for people, forever placing them at a point on that scale, unless they can cover that tattoo up easily or afford laser surgery to remove.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Tattoos are a personal expression. Disney is anything BUT personal expression. Disney has you playing a role. Does that role contain tattoos? It may or it may not. I imagine we will see some tattoos in the future, we're going to run out of people who don't have them, lol. I do think that the roles will dictate what can and can't be shown.

I know it's not politically correct to say this but tattoos do limit what you can do in life. There is a scale and at one end is personal choice and at the other end is complete conformity and people need to consciously choose where they want to be on that scale. Tattoos can be a permanent decision for people, forever placing them at a point on that scale, unless they can cover that tattoo up easily or afford laser surgery to remove.
I agree with the first paragraph. The second, not so much. SOME tattoos can limit what you do in life not all tattoos.

Goofyernmost

I agree with the first paragraph. The second, not so much. SOME tattoos can limit what you do in life not all tattoos.
I don't see it as the tattoo itself, it is more location, location, location. There is a guy that works at Walmart. I never see him slacking off, he is always working, he knows every location of every item in his department. I've actually seen him get a great deal of praise from the executives for the way he keeps his department looking and stocked. I immediately feel that he is wasting a great intellect and ability because of his body art. His art consists facial tattoo's, completely filled arm tats, up his neck, man bun, lip and ear piercing along with huge discs in his ear lobs. If he's happy, I guess it's OK, but, having lived as long as I have I feel very strongly that what we wanted in our life changes as time goes by. Later on when it is to late to make decisions that might have helped achieve those later in life goals. It just seems like a total waste just to become a billboard for things that might not be ones passion in later years. It ranks, like buying Graphic T's basically advertising someone else's things and we have paid to do that for them. Not only free advertising, but, we paid them to advertise for them. It seems clever that someone thought of that and then had the gonads to charge people for it. Sometimes the human race completely puzzles me. However, in the long haul it is whatever makes you happy. I just keep my fingers crossed for everyone, because, I'm thinking that there comes a time when those things are nowhere near as cool as they started out being.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I don't see it as the tattoo itself, it is more location, location, location. There is a guy that works at Walmart. I never see him slacking off, he is always working, he knows every location of every item in his department. I've actually seen him get a great deal of praise from the executives for the way he keeps his department looking and stocked. I immediately feel that he is wasting a great intellect and ability because of his body art. His art consists facial tattoo's, completely filled arm tats, up his neck, man bun, lip and ear piercing along with huge discs in his ear lobs. If he's happy, I guess it's OK, but, having lived as long as I have I feel very strongly that what we wanted in our life changes as time goes by. Later on when it is to late to make decisions that might have helped achieve those later in life goals. It just seems like a total waste just to become a billboard for things that might not be ones passion in later years. It ranks, like buying Graphic T's basically advertising someone else's things and we have paid to do that for them. Not only free advertising, but, we paid them to advertise for them. It seems clever that someone thought of that and then had the gonads to charge people for it. Sometimes the human race completely puzzles me. However, in the long haul it is whatever makes you happy. I just keep my fingers cross for everyone, because, I'm thinking that there comes a time when those things are no where near as cool as the started out being.
Totally agree.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
It's my opinion and my choice. For me anyone that would make a decision like altering there appearance that others could find inappropriate is not a wise one. If you want to be a professional person maybe you should think a little before you get an armful of tattoos. I'm not going to hire a salesman/woman that goes out on the road representing my company that looks like that. It may be ok for me and it may be ok for you but what about my customer that I am trying to win over. They may not find it appropriate. So, in my opinion, before you do something like this think first what you want to do in the future. Sorry that is just the way it is no matter what you think.
One name for you
Matt Taylor. Obviously an immature person .

Tony the Tigger

It's my opinion and my choice. For me anyone that would make a decision like altering there appearance that others could find inappropriate is not a wise one. If you want to be a professional person maybe you should think a little before you get an armful of tattoos. I'm not going to hire a salesman/woman that goes out on the road representing my company that looks like that. It may be ok for me and it may be ok for you but what about my customer that I am trying to win over. They may not find it appropriate. So, in my opinion, before you do something like this think first what you want to do in the future. Sorry that is just the way it is no matter what you think.

That's the way it is "for you," no matter what you think.

The fact is there are plenty of people with tattoos with excellent judgment.

The fact is there are plenty of people without tattoos with awful judgment.

You are, of course, within your rights to pass judgment when hiring people with known tattoos. For all you know, you've hired people with hidden ones.

But IMO you are limiting your pool of potential employees over an arbitrary point because it's what you were taught many years ago, and in a whole lot of cases today, it no longer applies. It's an old way of thinking.

Now, poor spelling - that I judge.

OneofThree

It's an old way of thinking.

Sure, just like hiring the most qualified applicant. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!
1521575772318.png

Tony the Tigger

I almost got one once, but, never could find anything that I absolutely felt sure I would still think is great 20 years from then.

Same here. I actually bought a session at a silent auction for charity. I just could never come up with something important enough and at the same time artistic/creative enough that it would be worth permanently etching. (Plus...needles...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom