How intense is Everest?

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
I've never ridden Everest because i'm afraid of it tbh. I need to know how bad is it. I'm most nervous for the drop out of the mountain, and the backwards part a little bit. For comparison, Revenge of the Mummy is my favorite ride at Universal, and I can handle that no problem. I also love Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, and love the Phoenix at Knoebels, which has a 72 foot drop. I know Everest is higher, but it seems to be on a turn which can lessen the stomach feeling. A lot of people say how more intense Everest is to rides like Mummy so I'm worried. I need to know, how bad is it? Also, is the backwards section have a "drop" or is it a turn? I thought it's a turn from videos, but some say it's a "drop." Where also is a good seat to seat for the first time? Thanks.

Archie123

If you enjoy the rides you mentioned then i think you will enjoy Everest but no one will be able to know that until you decide to try it for yourself. And there is no drop on the backward section at all. It just goes around and around until you stop for a brief scene before the big drop.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

For your first ride, I’d recommend asking for the front (or a front row in general). Everest’s drop isn’t that bad, and drops are always less intense further up because the acceleration needs to pick up. In comparison, the back will be quickly lurched forward before the drop even begins.

Ironically, the backward section might feel slightly more intense at the front for the same reason (it’s the ‘back’ during the reverse segment), but this definitely isn’t a drop - just an interesting G-force sensation due to the turning.

Everest is still my favorite experience in the park, broken yeti and all (with the Safari right up there). Have fun!

UNCgolf

I think it's less intense than Revenge of the Mummy, but the backwards section can absolutely cause problems. The last time I rode it I got horrible motion sickness from the backwards part -- I've been on it before without issue, so I think it was due to the combination of riding FoP almost immediately before EE -- but it's a concern.

Pepper's Ghost

If you can handle coasters in general, it's not a bad/intense one. I love coasters, but there are some I have some issues with, mostly at Six Flags. EE is not an intense coaster. It's just a fun one.

I agree with the rest that despite the popularity of the front row on most coasters, the back makes for a faster and more intense experience. Stay near the front, although maybe not the very front row. The back of the coaster gets whipped around every turn, and goes over hills and downhill much faster than the rest of the coaster.

JIMINYCR

Revenge of the Mummy is one of my favs and so is EE. In comparing their motion and thrills, I'd also agree with the others saying you could handle EE.

Minnie Mum

I didn't think EE was too intense (and I have a fear of heights). But the backwards part, with its tight turns, really tumbled my gyros. I had vertigo for a while afterwards.

SoFloMagic

The back gives you a great main drop, the front makes the backwards part intense. Middle makes the base of the backwards drop uncomfortable in my opinion.

Also, the people that ring the bells in the everest queue are the worst kind of people...

Stellajack

Premium Member
I'm glad to see these remarks. The first half dozen times I rode EE were great. The last two times I rode I felt like I was about to pass out on the backwards uphill turn. Would riding near the front help this?

SoFloMagic

I'm glad to see these remarks. The first half dozen times I rode EE were great. The last two times I rode I felt like I was about to pass out on the backwards uphill turn. Would riding near the front help this?
I find that the back (14 and up) make this better. That way youre through the dip before you hit max speed. Just rode it 4 times tonight and row 7 was super uncomfortable when going backwards. 3 was OK. 14 and 15 were smooth sailing.

But the ride feels significantly more intense than pre-covid. In the final tunnel it's been speeding up prior to the break run. I've been wondering if they've turned up the launch/powered areas a bit to cycle faster to match their new load proceedures.

graphite1326

I've never ridden Everest because i'm afraid of it tbh. I need to know how bad is it. I'm most nervous for the drop out of the mountain, and the backwards part a little bit. For comparison, Revenge of the Mummy is my favorite ride at Universal, and I can handle that no problem. I also love Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, and love the Phoenix at Knoebels, which has a 72 foot drop. I know Everest is higher, but it seems to be on a turn which can lessen the stomach feeling. A lot of people say how more intense Everest is to rides like Mummy so I'm worried. I need to know, how bad is it? Also, is the backwards section have a "drop" or is it a turn? I thought it's a turn from videos, but some say it's a "drop." Where also is a good seat to seat for the first time? Thanks.
I've been on the Phoenix many times. It is much more intense than EE. I think like you said the turn seems to lessen the stomach feeling. The backwards section is a tight spiral similar to the other wooden coaster (can't remember the name) at Knoebels but you are going backwords and in the dark. It is intense. I just yell and hang on.

Minnesota disney fan

It's all subjective what you can tolerate.
I ride EE and really like it, BUT the backwards in the dark still makes me queasy. It's not so bad that I don't ride it, and I will continue to ride it. Just be aware that it is coming. I close my eyes (I know a chicken, lol), brace my feet on the front of the car, and it's not so bad. Hope the fear of the backwards part doesn't stop you from experiencing this fun ride. For me, the drop was not that bad, and I am afraid of heights.

PiratesMansion

If you can handle all of those rides, you'll be fine on Everest.

I know it's psychological, but bigger does not necessarily equal more intense/extreme. I'd argue that MK Space Mountain is in many ways more intense than Everest.

carriebeth

My kids are always tall enough to ride at 4 years old. So if it’s ok for a 4 year old to ride it honestly isn’t too terribly intense.

MickeyLuv'r

In my opinion, EE is slightly more intense than Mummy. For me, the part of Mummy I don't like is the hard breaking. It isn't intense, it just causes people to whack the back of their head. Universal should fix that.

On EE, the backwards part has what I would consider to be two short bursts of intensity. So take a deep breath as soon as you start moving backwards, scream, then take a breathe during that little break in intensity. Once you're past that, the forwards parts aren't as bad. The most intense forward part is actually a short uphill section, but it is short.

If you are going in summer, be aware of heat and dehydration. Maybe ride it early in the day. Conversely, it might help to ride it one of the later days of your visit. I find I get desensitized over a visit to WDW/US.

Overall though, if you enjoy the attractions you list, you will likely enjoy EE.

It might help to know:

EE: length: 3884.5feet. Height 112 ft. Drop 80ft, top speed 50mph. duration 2:50, but a good chunk of EE is tame. It is a Vekoma coaster.
(Vekoma made 7D Mine Train, new Tron, and RnRC.)
Mummy: 2,200ft. height 44.4ft. Speed 40mph. duration 2:57 min. LIM launch.It is a Premier Rides coaster (maker).
Phoenix: 3,200 feet. Height 78ft. Drop 72ft. speed 45mph. Duration 2:00. Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters
Knoebel's Twister: 3,900ft. height 101ft. drop 89ft. speed 51mph. duration 2:10min.

Though those stats don't reflect that EE is MUCH smoother. That makes a big difference, especially over a wooden coaster!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom