How important is dining in Disney to you?

mergatroid

Original Poster
Now obviously we all have to eat to stay alive and so you will have to eat during your visits to Disney. But how important is dining within the world to you when measuring your enjoyment of your visit?

For Mrs M and I we don't really think of eating at Disney as being anything more than a necessity for the most part of our trips. We often will do either just a morning in the parks (having late lunch outside on the way home) or just the afternoon (after having an early lunch outside on the way there). Mainly this is to do with the fact that eating in the parks can be quite expensive, certainly fast food is much cheaper outside so if we're not doing a long day in the parks it makes more sense to eat outside. On the days we spend a full day there we tend to grab a snack there rather than a full service restaurant.

The main exception to this is we nearly always visit the sci-fi dine in for a meal prior to Fantasmic towards the end of our holiday once each trip. Last year we also ate at the Rose & Crown in Epcot just prior to Illuminations and this year we're thinking of trying a Magic Kingdom breakfast buffet for the first time. This is mostly just to get in the park extra early in the hope of getting some good pictures as much as anything else though.

Reading through a lot of posts on here though I get the impression that dining in Disney is a big deal to many, something that helps make the visit special rather than just a means to getting your body refueled. So how important is it for you?

bubbles1812

Not very... The "fine dining" restaurants at Disney aren't really fine dining. The rest of the park food is just not that good compared to signature restaurants, so it seems better. But I could get any of that even in my own hometown at the same quality for a much cheaper price for the most part. So I don't put up a fuss if I don't get a specific ADR. To be sure, I've had good meals but again, for the most part, I don't think you get your money's worth for the price you pay. Some people act like their trip will be ruined without specific dining experiences... I usually don't get that too much. But whatever makes the magic for individuals, I guess.

Cindee75

I would say it is moderately important. Having smaller kids who love the character meals this a trip highlight for them - Chef Mickey makes a mean pasta that I can't seem to live up to. Also, I am just excited when I don't have to plan and put together meals for 5 everyday for a week. So dining is something that is a factor in the magic.

Dwarful

When the girls were really young the character meals were a lot of fun. Now that the girls are older and the menus and prices have changed so much...the dining isn't all that important. This trip will be a two week trip and I think we are going to do 6 or 7 sitdowns and the rest will be counter service.

I do still make one early breakfast reservation at the MK on a NON extra magic morning. This way we are first in the parks, can get all the photos we want walking down Main St. w/o 1,000 rearends in the background. Gives us a good full meal and great photo ops.

Southampton11968

It is a important part of my Disney World experience. Weather it's signature dining or a quick snack I feel Disney does it's best to make it part of a great trip. I live in NYC and the Hamptons so I do not think the food is overpriced like others do. I can't think of another place where you can get such unique dining choices in one place with great themed surroundings, especially EPCOT.

The last time I was at Universal to see the Harry Potter land (very disappointed) I had a burger. It was one of the worst burgers I've ever had, completely tasteless.

Aurora1

With my family and friends, dining isn't a huge deal. We love getting snacks throughout the day (pretzels, Mickey Premiums, etc) and then having a burger or chicken fingers at night on days that we're at the parks. However, I'm a totally foodie, so the last few trips with siblings and best friends we've started to do more sit downs, which I love! The atmosphere is great, even if the price is high!

Glasgow

Really enjoy mealtimes and just taking in the ambiance for a while. There is so much hustle and bustle during the day that its nice to have a bit of a reprieve, as well as some good food! Having said that, we've gotten slightly spoiled by the free dining so now we're going through withdrawals since our last two trips have been during non-discounted times. Lol

HouCuseChickie

Extemely important...but I think there are several reasons for that:

1. We do a number of pre-park opening character meals for the kids so we're not devoting much in the way of park time to M&Gs.
2. My vacays as a kid always revolved around having at least one nice sit down meal a day, regardless of the destination...so TS dining has always been a factor defining the special nature of my trips.
3. To piggyback on #2, I think dining experience is a great way to add new elements to your vacation...otherwise it can start to feel a bit stale for us.
4. We're also big on a TS dinner each day...it's just really nice to sit down in a restaurant and relax after a whole lotta walking.
5. The restaurants at WDW are so varied and often quite interesting or interactive, so your meal is an added attraction.
6. In general...we like food :) While I'm thrilled that WDW offers much more than hot dogs, burgers and pizza for QS...the options are even greater when you start adding on TS meals or venturing off to areas of WDW you've never frequented before.
7. I guess I also associate going out to eat as a nice a treat...and a vacation is one big treat...so that means lots of going out to eat. :D

Fox&Hound

Oh man- a huge part! Disney has some great food (I'm not talking about over-priced chicken fingers) and some really cool experiences you can't find any where. Not to mention the best snack in the world-Mickey ice cream bars (premium bars). Man, I see those suckers and it's like I know I'm home in the happiest place on Earth. Okay, tearing up, gotta go.....

jw24

Wait, shouldn't this be in the dining section?

Anyway, it's important in a sense that well, you're doing a lot of walking so you'll need to time to rest and refuel. There's just no way you can spend an entire day at a Disney park without eating.

Aside from that, it all depends on your eating preferences. If you don't mind eating typical theme park food like burgers, fries, hot dogs, pizza and fried chicken all the time every day, then maybe it doesn't matter. But if you want variety, then it is important. Do remember that WDW has over 300 restaurants and over 6000 different food items in the resort. And don't just think you're strictly limited to the theme parks. You can dine at the hotel restaurants no matter what hotel you stay in! You can try Hawaiian and Polynesian food at Ohana at the Polynesian Resort. You can try foods with an African twist at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Boma or Jiko. I'm just throwing a few places out there but if you do your research, you can find a place that you think you'll enjoy a nice meal and also try new foods you'll never expect find in your hometown. If you like it, fine. If not, that's fine, too.

NX2I85

Food is usually a fun part of a WDW vacation for my family. Since we have last gone though I have changed the way I think about food, so I am wondering how that will affect my eating in the parks. I've dropped 40 pounds over the last several months; but I will eat pretty much anything -just not so much of it. Bottom line for me is that I just don't care so much about food anymore and don't spend a lot of time and energy dwelling on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom