How important is dining in Disney to you?

draybook

Moderately important. We have certain restaurants that we love and we love being able to take advantage of free dining. However, if that wasn't available then we'd just bring some snacks and pay for a few meals OOP. Sitting waterside at the San Angel Inn is much better than munching on a snack sized bag of Doritos.

copcarguyp71

Well...given that the options are to eat on-site or starve I would say that the food is not quite as important (although could certainly improve) as the ambiance and service at the different venues. Suspension of the real world is paramount for me at Disney so I think it has to all be part of the experience. If I ate counter service for a whole week I would be doubled over with cramps from all the sodium and grease so the sit downs are pretty important. Granted sit downs in the world are not all that they could be they are still very important to the overall experience for us. Not that this has to be everyones opinion...just ours;)

JIMINYCR

Important to us. We enjoy the planning of where we want to dine. It is an additional reason for the savings for our vacation. We look at it as giving ourselves another treat. We have our favorite restaurants that we return to every trip, and depending on the reviews we read about, we will try new things. But as much as we enjoy it, I don't take photos of our meals. I do make notes in our guide books that I share with friends as to what I would recommend to them, and rate them for a reminder to us of what we enjoyed or disliked.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I agree with everyone. Disney dining is more important than breathing, but I don't like to pay the inflated prices or wait for my meals. So, I have a few tips to aid in planning...First, buy three to four times as many meals as you need and store them in a storage locker near WDW. Food prices only goes up with time and when you return, voila, you have a locker full of delectable delights that you can throw in your backpack and dine on throughout the day. Look at those fools heading into Crystal Palace to eat spoon bread, when you already have a big ole chunk of aged spoon bread to eat. Two - make the fixings bar at Cosmic Rays your go to dining option. Bring in a package of hamburger buns and load up on those free fixings! Be sure to bring your refillable mug from a past trip and inquire into the whys and wherefores of filling it up. Three, look for dads carrying way too much food on their tray. Easy pickings, just grab a plate and disappear into the sea of tourists. Four, (this tip only works if you're willing to leave the bubble) cultivate friendships amongst locals and invite yourself over their house for dining on future trips. Five (a little intrepid exploring is needed for this) - find out of the way alcoves to grow your own vegetables and maybe even start a self-sustaining hog farm. I have a few of these scattered throughout WDW and can even teach you the fine art of "surreptitious butchering". For more tips, please read my food blog, "Dining like Henry VIII at WDW for only a nickel a day!"

CP_alum08

Very. Some of the restaurants can get a little pricy but I don't think they're ridiculous. A meal for 2 at a "nice" WDW restaurant is comparable to one in my town and the quality is also comparable. Even the standard theme park fare of burgers and fries is better than most. I'd take a Disney burger over a fast food burger any day, even over a Friday's, Applebees, etc.-level burger.

Lisalyn

Very important! It is part of the Disney experience. I, like others, once there...do not leave Disney property. When I drive and park my car the first day...it is on vacation - just like me for the week! :D It is kind of fun figuring out what parks I am doing on any given day and then picking our the counter service or table service restaurants I'd like to try. I can always count a few oldies but goodies each year but I always try and pick several new ones to taste test! It's part of the whole kitten-kaboodle! This past November I tried The Plaza and Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom. I found The Plaza quite quaint and Be Our Guest....how much time do you have? I LOVED it! :)

real mad hatter

Well it's definitely not the reason I go to WDW. But yes,I like to think that if am spending $200 for the three of us,for an evening meal,it will be an enjoyable experience,and apart from one restaurant ,I haven't been disappointed.But the food thing wouldn't be in my top five reasons for visiting Disney.

AndyS2992

No importance at all. We go to a park at rope drop, leave at 5pm to eat at the resort, always Pop Century and then take a quick break in our room and then head back to the same or different park at about 7 until closing. We only ever eat one meal a day as we are too busy to eat during the day other than drinks and maybe an ice cream and plus it saves tons of money.

Phonedave

I like eating out - so from that standpoint any vacation is enjoyable.

However WDW is not a food destination. Restaruants are good (not great) and are slightly overpriced (and I live 20 miles from NYC, so I am used to higher prices and I STILL think WDW restaruants are overpriced).

I enjoy eating at WDW. but it could be much better.

-dave

JillC LI

It is a important part of my Disney World experience. Weather it's signature dining or a quick snack I feel Disney does it's best to make it part of a great trip. I live in NYC and the Hamptons so I do not think the food is overpriced like others do. I can't think of another place where you can get such unique dining choices in one place with great themed surroundings, especially EPCOT.

The last time I was at Universal to see the Harry Potter land (very disappointed) I had a burger. It was one of the worst burgers I've ever had, completely tasteless.

Me too! It was at Richters and it was awful (loved the WWOHP though). The great Disney restaurants and snacks are an important part of our Disney vacations. (Fellow Long Islander here)

luv

I always enjoyed my meals at Disney, but as time went on and I'd had enough of them, I stopped eating most of my meals there. There are still a few meals I enjoy and will eat at Disney on occasion, but it is rare.

Most of the food there is not better than I get elsewhere, for less cash. :)

Also, most of the Disney food is not very healthy. Of course, most food in most restaurants isn't healthy, so you won't fix that by eating in non-Disney restaurants! But it's the big reason I never eat Disney food right now. Well, I'll get some grapes or Craisins if I'm there longer than I thought I'd be, but I don't eat a meal there.

luv

Me too! It was at Richters and it was awful (loved the WWOHP though). The great Disney restaurants and snacks are an important part of our Disney vacations. (Fellow Long Islander here)
If you want a good burger at Uni, Margaritaville has the best ones. :)

PolynesianPrincess

Dining is a huge part of our trip. We always have at least one TS meal a day. Is dining at Disney expensive? Yes it is. But some people on here make it seem like TS meals are way overpriced for the quality and what you get and that QS meals are priced fairly and that simply is not the case. QS AND TS meals are both way overpriced. So I feel that if I'm going to overpay for some generic chicken nuggets and fries, I'd rather spend a little extra and eat something else at a TS place. Maybe it's cause we don't go into restaurants expecting a 5 star gourmet meal.. maybe it's cause we're easy to please... who knows! But we love dining at Disney :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom