How has Disney tried to encourage healthy eating?

I've found that at the quick service locations within the parks they've actually reduced their 'healthier' options. Not everyone wants Caesar salad as their salad choice. They used to have really great salads offered at all of their quick services through out the parks but I've noticed over the years, those have either disappeared completely or been switched over of a generic chicken Caesar salad. While I can eat a chicken Caesar at home, I can't eat it anywhere else. I can only eat it if I've had control over what's been put into it as I've had trouble in numerous different locations eating Caesars prepared by restaurants. With the exception of maybe Restaurantausaus, I'm pretty much back to nuggets and fries or apple slices since I can't get a decent salad anywhere.

belle_1022

I usually head into a WDW trip with healthy snacks in my bag as I head to the airport. But by the time the plane lands, I am ready for bad stuff - think it is the air change:ROFLOL:. I tend to get salads and lighter fare especially when we are at the parks. I do crave a good ice cream sundae or pastry now and then on the trip. Since we have ADRs, I look ahead at the menus and choose what I am going to have. This gives me some control and allows to "plan" more of my day.

erasure fan1

To some extent I think they try a bit to hard to be healthy. I have always felt that if you wanted to find something healthy you always could. It might not have been right up in the forefront, but it was there.

wizards8507

Side note: McDonald's has terminated their relationship with Disney. They will continue to operate the restaurant near Animal Kingdom, but the Downtown Disney and in-park locations are all either closed or closing. These developments stem, in part, from souring of the once-strong relationship between the two companies that included exclusive Happy Meal rights (1995-2005), joint ventures, etc. When McDonald's signed an exclusive Happy Meal contract with DreamWorks in 2006(?), Disney execs weren't too happy. Furthermore, Disney wanted to distance themselves from a company that was facing pressure regarding childhood obesity, etc. etc.

Do they have healthy choices available? Yes. But I don't think they encourage healthy eating either. At least as of now they have desserts on the dining plan which many people, like myself, feel like if I'm paying for it why not get it. Garden salads are great to offer but they have one type of light dressing available and the majority of salad are filled with high fat cheeses, fried chicken tender pieces etc. So fat/kcal-wise you are better off getting a burger. The kids meals (especially the quick services) may have healthy side choices but the main meal Is something like processed nuggets, pizza or macaroni and cheese. All are what kids like but nutritionally very poor choices. However, Disney does what most other American restaurants do, offer a variety of foods/snacks most not so healthy, but a few healthy choices if you look hard enough or ask for some changes in preparation and leave the choice up to you.

devoy1701

I don't know about how much WDW has encouraged me to eat healthier....but they have definitely upped my tastes in terms of quality foods (ie: Le Cellier filets). Unfortunately for me and my wallet. :shrug:

disneyny

I agree with whoever said it is not Disney's job to encourage people to eat healthy! This world is ridiculous anymore- take some responsibility for your own life. Do they have healthy options available? Yes, and that is all that should matter. Do they need a costumed Mickey in front of the fruit stand yelling "come eat fruit all you fatties?" I can not stand all the stuff about how it is Disney or McDonalds responsibility to make people healthy. If I want to eat ice cream and french fries on my vacation I should be able to just as someone who wants to eat fruit should be able to- and we don't need a corporation to tell us that. I think the blame put on companies is pathetic. Gi enjoy your vacation and stop worrying about whether or not Disney is encouraging the rest of the world to be healthy.

Tater48

I go on vacation to relax and have fun, not to worry about if I'm going to be able to find something healthy to eat. I can do that the other 50 weeks of the year. I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat fruits and vegetables, especially when I'm on vacation. :cool:

DoleWhipDiva

I love having healthy fruit options. I wish they would have fresh smoothie stands and frozen yogurt around (Like TCBY)....I think that would bring in lots of business!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm sure that almost all of the food at Disney is healthier than fast food chains like Mcdonalds and Burger King.

Would'nt bet on it research showed that despite the rhetoric McDs want as bad as was made out since they changed the menu and practices and some of the other chains promoting themselves as healthy alternatives were actually worse. Interesting to note a report released a few months ago showed that organic produce had no nutritional advantage and in many cases no taste benefit (though obviously the latter is subjective)

Not a fan of McDs or any of that stuff but thats more to do with taste than any notion of health factors. And I rather alll corporations left the decisions on what food I should eat to me.

GoofyRacer11

And I rather alll corporations left the decisions on what food I should eat to me.
I totally agree with you that people should be able to decide what they eat. IMO Disney does a good job of giving guests plenty of different choices. They knew that people were becoming more health conscious so they came up with many healthier alternatives. It's not like they changed everything on the menus.

Mr. Morrow

You are on vacation don't worry about what you eat for a week :brick:

The last thing I want is for Disney to become like NYC and try to tell me not to usesalt.

RiversideBunny

It would seem, just from observation of restaurant popularity, that the most commonly eaten food items at WDW are hamburgers and fries (Pecos Bills, Electric Umbrella), fried fish and fried chicken strips (UK pavillion, Columbia Harbor House), and versions of steak (e.g. Le Cellier and other places).

Fried foods and red meat.
:)

marcriss

I would say that Disney offers far more healthy options than they used to. You can eat healthy if you want to and Disney is accommodating with requests at TS places if you want to make those options better.

The main goal was to improve children's options. It's nice that they get fruit or carrots now, the only drawback is that most TS restaurants only offer the standard options. This is unfortunate in Epcot. Our kids will frequently get plain pasta instead of the mac & cheese or nuggets.

We eat fairly healthy most of the year. I try not to worry about it too much at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom