How far is too far to drive?

celticdog

I live in central Virginia. WDW is about 950 miles and takes about 11 to 13 hours to drive, depending on the weather and traffic. I find this drive to be reasonable, especially considering i only spend about $70 on gas, oneway.

My question is: How is too far before one considers flying?

Thank for your support.

Steve

Wahoo2424

I go to school in Central Virginia, but I'm originally from Northern Virginia and we drive everytime we go down to Florida. I would like to fly once, but my brother enjoys stopping at the welcome centers going down the road. Probably if I were closer to NYC, I would probably fly.

Upvote 0

mickeyfanatics

I drove from Tampa, FL to Anaheim, CA to visit Disneyland. It was about 2700 miles to get there, and about 3200 to get back, we took a different route through Vegas and Colorado. It was worth it. I would drive to DLP, but there is not a bridge long enough. I will fly there someday. I live 45 min from WDW and go there almost every other week.

Upvote 0

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
wow compared to yall i like really close to dw. i live in VERY northern alabama. it takes between 8 - 12 hours to get there... like the first trip we KEPT stopping over and over but on our 4th trip we stopped like 1 or 2 times and it took us about 8.

a disney nut,

Anna elizabeth

Upvote 0

WDWsmith2001

I drove from Atlanta. It took a tad over 8 hours, and I left at 4AM, just so I could get a decent day at MK. It was really fun pulling a road trip like that. A good roadie is all part of the experience.

Upvote 0

MKingdom25

I live in Texas and I think it's too far. I am m one of those people who, unless its within the state, would rather fly. Not only for the speed, but I enjoy airports and the whole experience of flying.

If I have the money, I will always fly to WDW!

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Originally posted by MKingdom25
I live in Texas and I think it's too far. I am m one of those people who, unless its within the state, would rather fly. Not only for the speed, but I enjoy airports and the whole experience of flying.

If I have the money, I will always fly to WDW!

Heck, even inside Texas I fly if I can! The choice between a 6 hour drive or a 45 minute flight to see my parents in Lubbock isn't a tough call.

As for driving or flying to WDW, driving for a day and a half cuts into the time for fun WAY too much for me!

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

I really think you have to like to drive. I look forward to the road trip as part of the excitement. We drove last week from Long Island, New York and it took us about 18 hours.:)

Upvote 0

MKingdom25

Originally posted by gjpjtj
I really think you have to like to drive. I look forward to the road trip as part of the excitement. We drove last week from Long Island, New York and it took us about 18 hours.:)

Good point. I think for some people, including myself, its not a matter of the distance. It just comes down to are you a flying person or a driving person. Like you said, for many the road trip is as integral part of the trip as the actual vacation.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

PArt of my whole Disney experience for me is the flight. I also live in NYC right by New Jersey so I do fly out of Newark. That 2 hour or so flight is my passport to fantasyland and I associate flying with WDW!! Besides I love takeoff and landing!!! Belle

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Well, I live in NE Alabama and it takes DH and I around 10 - 11 hrs to reach the World. We only flew once and actually it was sort of strange for me - the drive to/from the Atlanta airport took a WHOLE lot longer than the actual flight to/from Orlando! :lol:

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by WDWsmith2001
I drove from Atlanta. It took a tad over 8 hours, and I left at 4AM, just so I could get a decent day at MK. It was really fun pulling a road trip like that. A good roadie is all part of the experience.

Gee...compared to you I'm a demon on the highways. From where I live in North Metro Atlanta, it took me 6 and a half hours with leaving at 4am as well. GA400 to downtown, downtown to I-75, I-75 to Florida Turnpike, Florida Turnpike to Orlando. :)

Now...to one day make my avatar a reality... :drevil:

Upvote 0

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
Well, I live in NE Alabama and it takes DH and I around 10 - 11 hrs to reach the World. We only flew once and actually it was sort of strange for me - the drive to/from the Atlanta airport took a WHOLE lot longer than the actual flight to/from Orlando! :lol:

Strange feeling, isn't it? I had a similar effect to me one time. Before I moved to Atlanta, I lived in Tampa Bay. From where I lived, it normally took me about an hour or an hour and twenty minutes to get to Tampa International Airport. And the flight from there to Atlanta is only 45 minutes... By the time I'm settled into my book during the flight, they announce that they are about to begin their approach. LOL

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by JoeZerboy

Gee...compared to you I'm a demon on the highways. From where I live in North Metro Atlanta, it took me 6 and a half hours with leaving at 4am as well. GA400 to downtown, downtown to I-75, I-75 to Florida Turnpike, Florida Turnpike to Orlando. :)

Now...to one day make my avatar a reality... :drevil:

D***! How fast DO you drive???

(mental note...enroll in the JoeZerboy driving school! :lol: )

Upvote 0

Big Pooh

I drove from Beaumont, Tx one time, 17 hours with 2 stops to eat. We went straight through going, but took 2 days coming back. I enjoyed the drive a lot. We're taking Amtrak in Jan...I've always wanted to take a train ride.

Beaumont is about 30 miles west of the La. state line on I-10. I'd drive to Fla anytime, but I would'nt drive across Tx for any reason. I live closer to Talahassee, Fla than El Paso, Tx. :eek: It's 640 miles to Tal and 850 to El Paso. It amazes me just how BIG this state really is.... :lol:

Cheers :wave:

Upvote 0

north

Hey whats 13hours of driving... Go for it. We have cross country in a plane for 13 hours from Anchorage, Alaska overnight but it worth it when you are there. Do it every year.

Upvote 0

Debbie

I don't mind driving anywhere, but it's the time constraints. My husband and I hope to one day drive this whole country and more. I feel if it takes two days or more to get to your destination, then you only have two or three days to enjoy yourself then start driving home. We live 650 miles from WDW and we usually leave at nite around 11pm to 3am, and drive while it's dark, thus the boys are sleeping.

Upvote 0

jeffs10

I love to drive there, I live north of chicago about 1250 mile drive I drove straight threw last week with no problem, next year I will Drive to Disney Land. took about 19 hours it makes the trip alittle better i think than flying and alot cheaper gas in the ten-ga area was only $1.25 compared where i live $1.65

jeff

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom