How far is too far to drive?

celticdog

I live in central Virginia. WDW is about 950 miles and takes about 11 to 13 hours to drive, depending on the weather and traffic. I find this drive to be reasonable, especially considering i only spend about $70 on gas, oneway.

My question is: How is too far before one considers flying?

Thank for your support.

Steve

hayuk

We drive from Wisconsin. On the way down we usually leave after work and get about 4 hours out of the way and then do the rest in the next day and a half. It has gotten us there in the early afternoon the last two times. On the way home we do it in two days.

Upvote 0

VillianFan

We drove last November from Baltimore to WDW. It took us 16 hours down ( we hit a bad storm in SC) but only 14 and 1/2 to get back home. We drove straight through only stopping for gas and food to eat in the car.

My kids are not the sit still on an airplane type, so it was easier for us to know that if we needed to stop and stretch our legs we could. Turned out that they were great knowing that the better they were the sooner we would get to Disney.

We are planning to drive again next year!

Upvote 0

wdwguru

Living in southeastern Virginia, we have done it all. We have flown (expensive), taken the Amtrak auto train (neat experience but also expensive) and driven. It takes us on the average 12-14 hours to drive and definately worth it. We started out breaking it up into two days. We would leave around 4 or 5 pm after work and drive till we got tired. Usually we would stop in South Carolina, sometimes Georgia. Then we would drive the rest of the way the next day arriving midday refreshed. Now we leave around 3 or 4 am and drive straight through, arriving for dinner and settling into our hotel. The best thing about driving besides being able to bring more stuff there and back: being able to change our schedule and leave earlier, later or staying an extra day. We have extended our vacation more than once. From central Virginia, I would drive!

:wave:

Upvote 0

strutter

When we went at the beginning of September we drove. It took us 19 hours to get down there from Northern Michigan. It took about 22 hours to get home. The drive down wasn't bad because my wife, our 5 year old daughter and myself were looking forward to getting there. But on the way back, we were already tired from the vacation itself. And the boys in blue in Georgia decided to pull me over and say hello. I was driving a wee bit too fast. I think we will fly next year just so we can save time.

Upvote 0

kimrn87

red We have driven and flew both. Were from KS so it takes 24 hours to drive. We can do it in two days. But we usually take 2 nights driving down. The scenery is nice.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We flew this year for the first time since our honeymoon in '95. but our group this year (8--5 kids) was too large for a 18 hour car ride (mid-Illinois, near St.Louis MO) plus we couldn't pass up the $90 roundtrip non stop tickets on Southwest! But we also like to drive..somehow I felt like we were missing something after the trip was over. Although, both my husband and I grew up with Clark Griswold type dads...drove to CA every summer for two weeks vacation! Nothing like 24hrs non stop in a Pinto Wagon with 5 people to make that the Vacation of a Lifetime...after that experience everything seems "perfect"! But I love "road trips" even if its a short 7hr trip to Chicago to see the Blues/Hawks game, somehow it puts me in a different mind set! So to each his own..if we had the $$ I would probably fly more & drive less to Disney and leave the road trips for Baseball & hockey games!

Upvote 0

Big Pooh

quote by cymbaldiva
Oh I would LOVE to take the train! Is it one of the trains that you can take your car with you or a regular train?

It's just a regular train. The Sunset Ltd., to be exact. The only Auto-Train I know of run up and down the East Coast. I can't wait for Jan to get here...lol

Cheers :wave:

Upvote 0

dreamer

It's a matter of how much time you have, how much money and how much you hate to fly.

I just drove from NE Tennessee -- 700 miles with 5 kids and it's waaayyyyy better than flying. Flying with kids even pre 9/11 was a nightmare. Airline employees are some of the nastiest people on earth. I hate to fly.

It's fun to see the climate and terrain change and then finally drive under that Disney World sign.

I might fly if it were 900 miles, though. That's a long way to drive with kids.

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Big Pooh
quote by cymbaldiva

It's just a regular train. The Sunset Ltd., to be exact. The only Auto-Train I know of run up and down the East Coast. I can't wait for Jan to get here...lol

I thought it was...I'd still love to take the train though!

Was the train trip as awesome as one would imagine it to be?

Upvote 0

Big Pooh

quote by cymbaldiva

Was the train trip as awesome as one would imagine it to be?

We're taking Amtrak this coming Jan. From what I hear it's a wonderful way to travel. I hope so. It's a day and a half from Beaumont, Tx to Orlando.:eek: Friends tell me that as long as you go prepared, it's great...if you don't prepare it can be bad. Take your own blanket and Pillow, a cooler with food and drinks(food is VERY expensive on board), and something to keep you busy...a novel, crosswords, a Disney Guidebook(or 2:lol: ), whatever you like...and from what I hear you can sit in seats facing the windows in the Club Car, and watch the world go by.

WOOHOO!!!!:D :sohappy: I can't wait for January.....

Upvote 0

Katherine

I've never taken Amtrak to WDW but I've taken it out west and it is so much fun! It's real peaceful and you just have to keep one hand on a wall to keep from falling over. But it's a ton of fun! Bring a deck of cards and some money(for the snack car and meals) and you'll have a great time!

Upvote 0

Fido

We always drive from northwest Arkansas. Takes a while but we don't mind. It's really the only option since we hate flying (actually it isn't the flying...it's the fear of crashing).

Upvote 0

Jodigrl328

I don't think I could bear the drive from pittsburgh. It's only 18 hours straight through, but when I am leaving I just want to be home as quickly as possible. If I could stay I would but If I can't I just want to get home. I think I long ride back would make me really cranky.

I would consider the auto train though. It leaves out of Lorton Va, right below DC and takes you to Sanford, right above Orlando. But still it is a long ride back and then I'd still have to drive the 4 hours back from DC. I'll stick to flying.

Upvote 0

celticdog

Original Poster
Originally posted by Jodigrl328

I would consider the auto train though. It leaves out of Lorton Va, right below DC and takes you to Sanford, right above Orlando. But still it is a long ride back and then I'd still have to drive the 4 hours back from DC. I'll stick to flying.

The Autotrain is darn expensive. The last time i checked it was around $800 for you and your car. That's crazy, no wonder Amtrack is have problems.:hammer:

Even a passenger ticket is as expensive as an airline ticket.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

To answer the original question: How far is too far to drive?

For me, it is simple.

If it is faster to fly, then fly.

We live in KC.

I always figure 1 hour to the airport
1 hour early for the flight
2 1/2 to 3 hours in the air (although our last flight stopped in Memphis, so it was 6 hours from take-off in KC to touchdown at MCO)
1 hour to the hotel

Total 9 hours.

In 9 hours, going 70 mph, I have gone 630 miles, assuming no stops. That has gotten halfway. It's 1252 miles to Orlando.

For us, it is 2 hard days of driving , 12 meals on the road and 4 nights in hotels.

I imagine that 4 plane tickets at $200 each comes out to be about the same in $, and well worth it for the time saved.

And I agree, that drive back must be a killer!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom