how far in advance do you plan

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

US? Over 1 year.

DVC, 11 months. AIR about 11 months. Dining 6 months. FP 60 days to trip. TIW under 30 days to next/third visit.
I have a rolling calendar of booking deadlines - all targeted to a smooth vacation every 6 months.

...and I've been doing this for 12 years :).

We are going in APR, 2018. Already booked for NOV 2018, with XMAS PTY tickets :).

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Advertisement
Normally I try about 6 months out, but last year I booked my August 26-Sept 1 trip on August 23 lol. :)

crxbrett

In years past I used to start planning maybe 8 months before and would start booking airfare and hotel room and stuff about 6-7 months before.

This last trip I went on last summer was super spontaneous and I booked it only 3 months before. I had to pay more for a room and didn't get all the times for ADRs I wanted though. Also, airfare was more because it was so close.

The trip I am going on this year? Believe it or not, I had already booked it before I had left for my trip last Sep! LOL It felt good to already have a $500 deposit down before I was even at DW for the current trip. So I went from 3 months before last year to a whopping 13 months for this year's trip! Was worth it though. I got all my ADRs already and will have the trip paid off a good 3 months before I even get there!

I also prefer letting my work know that I am going on a 2-week vacation at least 5-6 months before I go.

Tk0021

Like others a year or so. This year I told my self I would not make the reservation till the 180 day mark then I remembered the park ticket price increase in February and I had to give in.

Tk0021

Like others a year or so. This year I told my self I would not make the reservation till the 180 day mark then I remembered the park ticket price increase in February and I had to give in.

We typically book the trip 6-9 months in advance.

In reality I start planning and pretending I'm booking it a couple of weeks after we get home just to help elevate the post-disney sadness that comes with no longer being there.

Goofy KC

Since we started going a few times a year we are ALWAYS planning. Working on 3 trips right now - June and November '18 and March '19. I only wish we didn't have to wait for airlines to post fares.

We live in Houston, so it's something we have to plan in advance due to PTO, etc.
Our first trip, we stayed 9 days so I planned a year (14 months) in advance and I'm so glad I had the time to do so. Now, we plan about 2-4 months in advance, never less than 180 days (for ADR reasons), based on how long we're going and our budget. But now I know what to do, what interests us, etc. This is just for WDW; for any other parks I would do the same (plan longer in advance for my first time or depending on budget).

NewDizKid

I had been planning going to Disney since 2012. I had been promising my kids since that long. Last year I had it planned for September, but I became pregnant with my third child. So around 40 days out I planned a trip to Disney, infant in tow. We had a blast. We are now planning another trip next year around this time! So for me, it is 40 days, then 365+ days.

Top Bottom