How far down do the Utilidors go?

jlsHouston

And has anyone been in down in the Utilidors lately/recently ? No issues with the water table ? Structurally it's still very sound ? All of the Utilidors still in use today ?
And what about the other parks...are there Utilidors there too ? At Epcot ? AK and HS ?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Utilidors are still in constant use every day.

Epcot has a few small non-linked tunnels and basements.

Try a search; they've been discussed and documented a lot.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's an image on google http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/wdw/utilidors.shtml, and it looks like the utilidors were built below ground surface....

I don't know how to copy the pic though:geek:

But you are referencing 'ground' as what you see in the photos near the utilidors/tunnels. Much of that is backfill.

@marni1971 's photos show it best as it relates to what was built 'up' from the ground clearing.. vs what was trenched 'down' into the ground clearing.

Tom

Beta Return
And another interesting one:

View attachment 45355

The "building" that makes up the Fantasyland utilidor. The black area is the roof of the Utilidor and the walking area of the guest area. The dirt all around is real ground level, and the dug trench is for the real lower tunnel under the hub waterways.

It's amazing how much of a facility is back there. Nearly all of Fantasyland is on top of an underground building.

jlsHouston

I know that is what I keep thinking looking at these old photos. A whole other world...right below our feet..and the backfill was so much it created a lake...

lazyboy97o

So the Utilidors were actually a Walt Disney the person concept
Yes they were but the 'Florida Project' MK was the only place they could be built, All the other parks used ring roads instead for CM access, There are a few utilidors in EPCOT
The concept likely comes from Victor Gruen. The Heart of Our Cities: The Urban Crisis: Diagnosis and Cure, a book Walt Disney owned, outlines a series of urban design principles that are clearly an inspiration for EPCOT, including the separated, lower level service areas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom