How do you stay cool?

forbidden donut

The exact brand I used were the BeKoool. The come in a 4 pack for about 3 to 4 dollars. You can pick them up at Wal-Mart, Target, and almost every drug store.

They even make Disney themed ones!

original.jpg

I don't know what airport security will think of these though-they have jel in them.

Jenna

Given that I live in Ireland and am used to freezing my backside off at the best of times I'm finding it quite strange that I've never really given 'keeping cool' much conscious thought.

I wear flip flops, shorts and a vest top to the parks and to be honest that's as far as my planning goes. I do recall times when I have been frying like a piece of bacon due to the sun but I'm pretty sure I just sucked it up :shrug: I can't say we've ever taken a 'pool break' during the day or consciously decided to go indoors because it was warm, I think we just go with it...and deal with the 3rd degree burns later lol!

In saying that, none of that was useful sooo let me try and think of something.
  1. Wear light coloured clothing, nothing too tight.
  2. Try and fit in a water ride when it's warm.
  3. Indoor attractions during the height of the day due to covered queuing and air con.
  4. Freeze bottles of water overnight in your hotel/villa, bring them with you to the parks. They're cold for ages so provide a nice refreshing drink and a 'cool pack' should you need to cool off.

Have fun :wave:

Banksy

I was born this awesome...:cool:

Oh...Ok, erm, i wear shorts and weather appropriate stuff. Get ice cold drinks when sitting down or walking for a long time. :) To be honest, i love heat so it doesn't bother me too much. The ice cold drink usually cools me down.

whitethunder

Epcot - Less popular boat rides - Living with the land or the one in Mexico
MK - People Mover
DHS - Muppet 3D
AK - Good luck - Find a indoor show!!

We hit these things when its time to cool down. Sometimes we hit them several times. We generally avoid AK in the summer.

The key is have water, cold water makes it all better. Any of the indoor shows help with cooling down. Avoid outside wait zones.

Disneydreamer23

Original Poster
So I found a great little thing the last time I went in the summer. You know those stick on gel packs they sell to help fevers in children? You buy those and instead of sticking it to your head you stick it either to the back of your neck right under your hairline of between your shoulder blades. I also thought maybe the small of your back would be a good spot as well. The exact brand I used were the BeKoool. The come in a 4 pack for about 3 to 4 dollars. You can pick them up at Wal-Mart, Target, and almost every drug store.

I used them in our last July trip and never once broke a sweat. At one point everyone else was complaining about the heat and I was like what it isn't that hot. I had forgotten I had the patch on because they work for up to 8 hours. Once I took it off because the sticky was wearing out I got hot and sweaty and decided to put on the back up one I packed for later that day. When you first put it on you can tell how chilly it is.

what a good idea~

Disneydreamer23

Original Poster
Wear light colored (no blacks, dark blue, etc), loose fitting clothing with open shoes and no socks if possible. If you wear athletic shoes go with no show socks (I was surprised at what a difference no show socks makes) Hats are a big plus as well. Do your best to spend as much time indoors as possible during mid day.

what are show socks?

wilkeliza

They even make Disney themed ones!

original.jpg

I don't know what airport security will think of these though-they have jel in them.

HAHA to finding the Disney ones because those are actually the ones I used! They are the kids version and although I am 5'6" I'm a pretty small woman width wise and the adult size didn't fit so well on me when I did a test run before buying enough for the trip.

I've taken them through carry on security three times now with no problems. The way they are packaged I think is different than the type of gel that airport security is worried about. I think in the scans they show up as a mass and not a liquid but I'm not sure. However, I think all three times I did put them in my quart bag just in case but I can't remember.

They don't break open and they only activate once the sticker on the back of each one is activated so you can easy put them in your checked baggage with not worry of them being activated or breaking all over the place.

I did some more research and they even come in adult sizes so you could probably put the adult size ones on the small of your back and even have more time with the chill of the patch.

wilkeliza

Sorry for a double post but I know something else that my running friends swear by and were always popular with the football teams growing up in Texas. They are called Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Towels or the Frogg Toggs Chilly Bandana. The Bandana you just wrap around your neck so it is a little more convenient to park goers than the towel. They work by using either hot or cold water so you can stop at any water fountain or bathroom in the world to "recharge" them. You wring them out before use so they aren't like dripping wet. Like I said my running friends swear by them so I'm sure they would work for a summer in the world as well. In fact if I get the college program for the August to January position I will be buying a few of these to help keep cool at the World in August and September. I gave the link to the retailer below.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/#cooling/

real mad hatter

Bandanas.

Sorry for a double post but I know something else that my running friends swear by and were always popular with the football teams growing up in Texas. They are called Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Towels or the Frogg Toggs Chilly Bandana. The Bandana you just wrap around your neck so it is a little more convenient to park goers than the towel. They work by using either hot or cold water so you can stop at any water fountain or bathroom in the world to "recharge" them. You wring them out before use so they aren't like dripping wet. Like I said my running friends swear by them so I'm sure they would work for a summer in the world as well. In fact if I get the college program for the August to January position I will be buying a few of these to help keep cool at the World in August and September. I gave the link to the retailer below.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/#cooling/
Aye but have they got polymer crystals in them,check out my blog,page two.www.CoolBandanas.com.:wave:

mickeysshoes

Head out early and take advantage of morning EMH. Take a break in the afternoon head back to your resort for a swim and/or nap. Head back out for a long late evening. Drink lots of WATER....stay away from soda. Take in all the show and in door attaractions. Even the ones you would normal pass right way. Eat more TS meals so its time out of the heat and in the A/C. We have been in August for the past 3 years....so we know first hand how the heat is. DH always take a towel with him to wipe his head and face. Even think about take a wash cloth with you and if you start to get too over hearted you can wet with cold water and/or some ice and place it on the back of your neck!!! But the most important thing and your best friend in the heat needs to be WATER!!!!!! Good luck and have a great trip!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom