How do you plan for a friend when they are going at a horrible time?

dopeylover

Good friends of ours are going to WDW for the FIRST TIME next Thanksgiving (a week before us)- Looks like they're doing Wed- Sun. She has asked for my help, and I am more than willing/happy to offer!

However- Is this not a CRAZY time of year to go? She is a school teacher, so I don't think she can take off the whole week and go when we go, which is far less busy. My concern is that the crazy crowds will totally turn them off, but I also don't want to rain on their parade w/ comments about it being to capacity and whatnot. Their plan is to be in MK on Black Friday!

What is the best thing to say/best way to help them make the most of a busy time?

HouCuseChickie

We went just before Thanksgiving last year...checked out the day before Thanksgiving. While you could definitely feel the crowd building by the Tuesday that week, it wasn't horrible either. Maybe that was b/c we are pretty good at utilizing FPs during crowded times, but you may want to suggest a touring plan. I'm assuming the UG still has sample touring plans in the back. Even if they don't stick to an exact plan, the recommendations should give them a better idea of how to wisely tour the park when there are larger crowds. Ultimatley, I still don't think the crowds are as bad as Christmas week and spring break + the whole place is in holiday mode, which can make it seem even more magical- even with the crowds.

If they haven't done so already, they really should focus on ADRs...assuming they are planning on any TS meals. Thanksgiving is going to be a really difficult day for ADRs since more people will book ADRs on a holiday than just a regular busy day.

As for enjoying themselves...some of this just comes down to them. I recall talking to a coworker, who up until this past spring had only been to WDW once, and that one time was Christmas week. So, her only WDW experience was going at the busiest time of year and they went in with little to no planning. I know not everyone is like this, but she said the crowds really didn't phase them...it was just so exciting to be there that it didn't matter.

Upvote 0

Jessica Meier

My first trip was going from Christmas day through New Year's Eve. Crowds were busy, sure. But the magical quality of that trip is what has made me and my husband want to go back and turned me into a nut. My husband HATES crowds and gets super claustraphobic in any kind of crowd. He has seriously barreled over me in an attempt to get OUT! And he handled it beautifully. So, don't put any thoughts into their heads, help them as much as you can, and let them enjoy it. :)

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

We go every year at Thanksgiving and have a great time. The weather is mild so you don't die of heat and the crowds are not that bad. My only advice is make dining reservations now if they are not already made and avoid Magic kingdom on Thanksgiving day.

Great advise!! I have been told the very same thing by some of my friends who go each year.

We are going for our very first Thanksgiving trip this year and I am getting excited!! My ADRs are made and every thing looks like its in place, but we are insane because we will be at the MK for T day! My daughter is going to be in the Thanksgiving Day Parade that day!! Wish us luck!!

Upvote 0

dopeylover

Original Poster
Great advise!! I have been told the very same thing by some of my friends who go each year.

We are going for our very first Thanksgiving trip this year and I am getting excited!! My ADRs are made and every thing looks like its in place, but we are insane because we will be at the MK for T day! My daughter is going to be in the Thanksgiving Day Parade that day!! Wish us luck!!

Congrats to you and your daughter for being in the parade? Is she a CM?

Upvote 0

Littlekitten73

Yeh...So I open up my post and there's a letter from WDW....Congratulations Mr Hatter..We will give you 14 nights accommodation and park hoppers from December 20th ..You just pay for your flights and transport..."Oh Honey,it's gonna be hectic,crowds pushing,etc.Do we have to go." :eek: .." Yeh honey,your right.You just stay at home,I'll phone you when I arrive,now get outta my way." :mad:
Me too!!! :D:D

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Good friends of ours are going to WDW for the FIRST TIME next Thanksgiving (a week before us)- Looks like they're doing Wed- Sun. She has asked for my help, and I am more than willing/happy to offer!

However- Is this not a CRAZY time of year to go? She is a school teacher, so I don't think she can take off the whole week and go when we go, which is far less busy. My concern is that the crazy crowds will totally turn them off, but I also don't want to rain on their parade w/ comments about it being to capacity and whatnot. Their plan is to be in MK on Black Friday!

What is the best thing to say/best way to help them make the most of a busy time?

Its not horrible. It will be busy but not horrible. My DH and I went for this entire week, including Thanksgiving. And it was actually really low crowd level prior to the holiday and then it started to pick up. By Friday, it was busy but still not like summer or Easter busy. It wasn't that bad. If she knows the tricks and good planning and advice from you, she will do fine. :)

Upvote 0

dopeylover

Original Poster
Its not horrible. It will be busy but not horrible. My DH and I went for this entire week, including Thanksgiving. And it was actually really low crowd level prior to the holiday and then it started to pick up. By Friday, it was busy but still not like summer or Easter busy. It wasn't that bad. If she knows the tricks and good planning and advice from you, she will do fine. :)

thanks Hon!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom