How do you keep Disney fresh?

JungleBumCT

Howdy! So I'm in a bit of a contemplative mode, as usual.

My contemplative mode usually comes after each trip, and, having returned from a WDW trip last week, I'm in it right now. I'm not so fond of my version of contemplative mode, though, since it's usually a sad combo of missing the trip and regret over not experiencing it to the fullest.

The latter is a hard-to-describe feeling that I didn’t take everything in like I could have. Like it all passed so quick, and now I’m back in cold, blah Utah. No matter how much I plan and no matter how much fun I have, a few days after I get home I always feel like my trip somehow escaped me. Anybody else feel that way?

I live way out west and I have an above average-size gaggle of small children. I’m also not independently wealthy, so trips to WDW are rare and special. While the rarity does serve to keep Disney fresh for us, it also intensifies the hangover.

But that’s not necessarily the reason I’m responding. While actual trips to WDW parks are uncommon for us, trips to WDW are not. My wife’s airline job means we do get down to Orlando from time to time for free on standby. Keeping with what I mentioned above about absence making the heart grow fonder (or fresher), we usually take a couple days to explore the resorts, hike around the Fort Wilderness area, loop from the TTC to EPCOT and back on the monorail, and ride the boats between docks.

So we’ve got MK in view a lot of the time. We’ll take the ferry from the TTC and the monorail back—getting so close to the gates but never going in. It’s a tease, I guess, and it’s somewhat torturous. Looping around Spaceship Earth, we peer jealously at the ticketed visitors walking below, pining for the day—maybe soon if we can save our pennies—we’ll be able to return with a key (or wristband) to the kingdom.

Prior to last week, the last time we had actually entered any parks was ~2007. With several of these so-close-we-can-taste-it trips in between. Yeah, it was fresh.

I’m not suggesting this as a practical solution for you, but it’s personally how, out of budget necessity, we keep things fresh. Generally, though, I think absence/rarity/abstinence from the all-out park trip makes the full experience that much sweeter.

surfsupdon

runDisney.

Having a race to prep for, compete in, and celebrate makes for an incredibly fresh, different vacation.

I too was "over" Disney, until I reinvented the vacation with competing. And my yearly trips have been fresh since 2006, my first runDisney event.

Whenever you doubt WDW, ask yourself this: if someone gave you free tickets tomorrow, would you take them?

May your answer always be yes.

(And if it is a no, that's fine too.)

I'd take them if I thought I could resell them. Otherwise, no. We just got back a couple of days ago, was pretty awful. We had a good time on some things but most was pretty less than magical.

space42

I'm not really sure why one would need to force themselves to keep it fresh. If you fall out of love with it, just do something else. When you're ready to come back, you'll get the urge again.

It's not a crime to not enjoy it as much as you used to. I happen to always love it even after 40+ trips, but everyone is different.

I've seen several threads like these and I still can't understand why people don't like admitting Disney is no longer for them. Just take a breather and make it less crowded for me. :) Seriously though, it's normal.

If nothing else, try to do things a little differently each time. Enjoy more walks in the park. Mix up the park/ride order you take. Enjoy the resorts. Enjoy the water parks. Enjoy some different restaurants. Notice the details. If all that doesn't sound appealing, go to the Caymans instead.

Perhaps part of it comes from long time fans that were used to Disney constantly keeping things fresh? Opening new - state of the art attractions - resorts, and entertainment. From the beginning and up through the early 2000's every trip offered something new and worthwhile.

This attitude is a direct result of Disney not trying as hard. It's not up to us to keep Disney fresh.

juniorthomas

Perhaps part of it comes from long time fans that were used to Disney constantly keeping things fresh? Opening new - state of the art attractions - resorts, and entertainment. From the beginning and up through the early 2000's every trip offered something new and worthwhile.

This attitude is a direct result of Disney not trying as hard. It's not up to us to keep Disney fresh.

Or you could argue that "not trying as hard" could actually be "we have more parks now, across the world, and we have to spread the refresh money around so that park guests everywhere have an opportunity to experience new fun."

It certainly is not up to us to keep Disney fresh, but it's not very realistic to expect every park gets new state of the art attractions, resorts, and entertainment every year.

Matt_Black

Or you could argue that "not trying as hard" could actually be "we have more parks now, across the world, and we have to spread the refresh money around so that park guests everywhere have an opportunity to experience new fun."

It certainly is not up to us to keep Disney fresh, but it's not very realistic to expect every park gets new state of the art attractions, resorts, and entertainment every year.

Indeed. And that doesn't even take into account other factors like recessions or travel slumps, which popped up in the 2000s.

space42

The Walt Disney Company is a much larger, more profitable corporation with more available funds then it was in the 70's - 90's. If they could do it then, they certainly have more resources to do it now - they just choose not to. It's not the customers fault for the high level of expectations considering the constantly rising cost of visiting WDW.

mergatroid

Howdy! So I'm in a bit of a contemplative mode, as usual. I'm in the middle of a magical trip with my family in Orlando which I'd anticipated for months. My last trip was over two years ago. Yesterday, we visited the Magic Kingdom, which was less crowded and chilly than I had anticipated. I enjoyed myself, and we accomplished pretty much everything that we had set out to by dinnertime.

However, most of us felt indifferent about many attractions. I didn't feel the strong pull that I did as a child toward anything in particular. I'm seeing everything through different, older eyes, and I'm aware of how everything operates--the mechanics and interactions.

Part of me worries that I'm over Disney, and another part senses that I will always be called back. Am I just in love with the idea of Disney but not the reality? Am I just seeking a new type of experience at the Most Magical Place on Earth? I've explored resorts and attractions, and while everything is nice, nothing really wows me anymore. Have I lost the spark of childlike wonder? How do I bring the magic back, if at all? Have I just been spoiled? What do you do to keep the magic fresh? How do you sustain it?

Thanks for any thoughts, reflections, and opinions! Have a magical day!

I understand what you're saying and I feel the same way about parts of that post myself. The thing is I've realised that I'll never get that childhood feeling that I got visiting Disney back again, at least not to the extent that I did back then. So instead of going looking for it, I just go and enjoy Disney for what it is now and there's still plenty to enjoy in possibly a different way. I still do get memories and feelings of wonderment now, granted they're not as ever present as they were when I was younger but that magical feeling still enters my heart and head at various parts of my trip.

I also try to plan new things to try each year we visit, not just at Disney but in Orlando in general. Next year for instance we're planning on horse riding at Disney along with visiting some Disney hotels, away from Disney we're hoping for a swamp boat ride at sunset.

Aly Grant

I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm dealing with the same EXACT thing. My mother surprised me with a trip to Disney on Christmas morning when I was 6 years old and now I always compare my trips to when I was a child. To me it always helps to remind myself how big Walt Disney world is and how amazing it is that so many others want to go and experience the magic! (Great way to think of the crowds) try not to think about the mechanics of it all, I catch that bothering me too. But if you must think about it, think of all the work it took just to make one doll in its a small world! Where did the wood come from? The outfit? The eyelashes? Stand back and realize that this was Walts dream and so many people believe in his dream and make it happen every day!! I try to imagine that I'm in a dream sometimes and that I can control where I go in my dream in this magical place. Make sure to go with someone who wants to have a blast in Disney! If you must go alone, meet up with other people from the boards!! I hope this helps you!!!!

juniorthomas

The Walt Disney Company is a much larger, more profitable corporation with more available funds then it was in the 70's - 90's. If they could do it then, they certainly have more resources to do it now - they just choose not to. It's not the customers fault for the high level of expectations considering the constantly rising cost of visiting WDW.

So you're saying that Disney could simultaneously upgrade all of their parks worldwide without affecting business operations?

The only thing I really enjoy about Disney nowadays is the art and the food. The deluxe dining plan is the way to go. Without it, I have a hard time coping. I also enjoy the boat ride from the cajun resort to downtown Disney, there is a bar in the resort and you can take a drink with you. Dealing with the parks is just something I have to do for my kids. My enjoyment comes from exploring the resorts and having a decent meal.

This past trip I tried to figure out who was an undercover cop. Disney has a whole army of them, they dress up like tourists and try to blend in. If there is an unruly customer they will come out of the woodwork and take them to the underground tunnels. So, to keep things fresh instead of looking for hidden mickeys I looked for hidden cops.

I used to be into all the landscaping especially at the animal kingdom, it is really nice. the grand floridian is nice too.

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
To everyone on page 3:

Kudos to you for making trips down to WDW with kids! They're expensive enough without kids. I'm sorry about your WDW withdrawal! I just returned home too and am contemplating the trip. It does always seem like the trip whizzed by in an unnoticeable blur, doesn't it? Events seem more fast-paced there. Maybe I need to work on slowing down my perception and activity. It just feels like a place where you are supposed to go out and...do things! I totally feel you on using Disney transportation. It's magical even if you're not entering the parks, and you get glimpses of the parks. We did enjoy riding the monorail between the parks and resorts; I think that's one thing I should continue doing. It was so tempting having the glittering castle and fireworks within sight. I think I should also go at a less busy time.

Thank you! That's not a bad idea. I had this idea to run a few years ago, started, then stopped and abandoned the idea. Maybe I should pick it up again. That's definitely a fresh idea. I'm so glad you were able to revive the freshness through aerobic activity over the last eight years.

True! Maybe I should try that! I do want to remember the magic, though. Maybe if I get a bit tipsy, the mood will be just right.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if I'm just chasing that childhood experience. Maybe I can get it back, though, with new experiences. Maybe not to the same degree, though. I'm glad you still experience those moments, albeit less frequently than before. I like the idea of horseback riding. We do spend a lot of time off-property, and I think what I'm craving is a more immersive Disney experience. It feels more magical on property. I'd lke to explore the rest of Orlando, but that might need to be a separate trip.

That is so exciting! LOL. That is a great way to think about the crowds. I love to see everyone else experiencing the magic and I want to be a part of it. The mechanics are pretty amazing; maybe I should do an exercise to acknowledge the manifestation of Walt's dream. I think that is incredible. Gratitude certainly keeps things fresh. I think going with someone into Disney is key too! I wonder how different my trips would be if I went with other Disney nuts! Thank you!

Mmm. Food trip, transportation, and art. I wish I had time to explore the Art of Disney. Someday, I'll be able to afford an art piece. I do have fantasies about staying at a nice resort and eating at Deluxe restaurants.

I was wondering about the hidden cops! I told my family that I thought that Disney employed undercover security. That's an interesting activity too, and comforting in a way, because you know several eyes are looking out to ensure safety in the parks. Yes, the landscaping! I love the horticulture; I noticed all of the plants this trip; they're so well-maintained and placed!

Much-Pixie-Dust

This is a really good idea! We did Keys to the Kingdom tour a few years ago and it was SO cool. We went before I was a CM, so everything was still new and exciting to me as far as backstage goes. I'd like to do the Seeds tour at the Land!
We loved the Behind the Seeds Tour. We got a discount through AAA too, I do believe. The tour was well worth the money. They also give you handouts to try different things in your own garden, if you are into that sort of thing.

betty rose

Our daughter keeps it fresh for us. We do a family Disney challenge around one park. We have teams, grandma and grandpa, our daughter plus one boy, her hubby plus one boy. We all start at the entrance to a park, go in at the same time. Split into teams....have a given time to be back, usually 2 or 3 hours. The challenges can be varied...one year we had of lists of tasks...like how many flags are outside of Liberty Square, take a picture (with permission , of a cast member), ride small world , eat a cupcake, find a special hidden mickey...you get the idea...we get prizes at the end....first place, might get to choose dinner. Second place dessert and so on. She spends many month's planning this challenge. No one knows what the new challenge will be each year, so for us, and the rest of the family it's always fun and exciting on challenge day. If you want a better explanation, go to Disney World Enthusiast. That sight has lots of tips to make Disney new and fresh. I admit I went through the feeling that I was done with Disney, a few years ago. Now, I look forward to every trip. We also only go into the parks, for one half day....then as other's have said...we play miniature golf, at Disney. Go to beach's and cream get ice cream, walk around the lake while we enjoy our treat. Mainly things that are not park related. We are in our late 60's our daughter and hubby are in their 40's grandsons are 9 and 12.

Seanual757

For myself since my kids are young 7yrs, 5 yrs., and 11mos it’s all about them we it for them. My wife also loves it maybe because she did not go much as a child so she is reliving it with our children. For myself I get the joy out of watching my kids each and every time we go to the parks or resorts it’s like the 1st time they have ever gone. We are local so we go a few times a month and stay 3-4 times a year at the resorts. We have been AP holders since 2012 and purchased our DVC membership at VGF. We will get good use out of both the passes and DVC with them since they are young and with the DVC we can had it down to the kids to enjoy with their families.

ynahtebwdw

We've been 5 times in the last 10 years and are planning our 6th trip, we find that spacing them out helps a lot. we have actively avoided times when the parks etc have been under massive construction which is why we have chosen to go late 2016 instead of this year, and we always plan ahead (fast passes, dining etc) so that we can just go with the flow when we're there and soak up the magic

Andy_0410

Try going different times of year
Easy for me as I love Star Wars and love Halloween so going when different events on is easy
Also search out a new restaurant or do one of the tours
Been to Disney world nearly ten times and there is still loads I want to do there and we go for 2 weeks at a time as well

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom