How do you keep Disney fresh?

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
Howdy! So I'm in a bit of a contemplative mode, as usual. I'm in the middle of a magical trip with my family in Orlando which I'd anticipated for months. My last trip was over two years ago. Yesterday, we visited the Magic Kingdom, which was less crowded and chilly than I had anticipated. I enjoyed myself, and we accomplished pretty much everything that we had set out to by dinnertime.

However, most of us felt indifferent about many attractions. I didn't feel the strong pull that I did as a child toward anything in particular. I'm seeing everything through different, older eyes, and I'm aware of how everything operates--the mechanics and interactions.

Part of me worries that I'm over Disney, and another part senses that I will always be called back. Am I just in love with the idea of Disney but not the reality? Am I just seeking a new type of experience at the Most Magical Place on Earth? I've explored resorts and attractions, and while everything is nice, nothing really wows me anymore. Have I lost the spark of childlike wonder? How do I bring the magic back, if at all? Have I just been spoiled? What do you do to keep the magic fresh? How do you sustain it?

Thanks for any thoughts, reflections, and opinions! Have a magical day!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Howdy! So I'm in a bit of a contemplative mode, as usual. I'm in the middle of a magical trip with my family in Orlando which I'd anticipated for months. My last trip was over two years ago. Yesterday, we visited the Magic Kingdom, which was less crowded and chilly than I had anticipated. I enjoyed myself, and we accomplished pretty much everything that we had set out to by dinnertime.

However, most of us felt indifferent about many attractions. I didn't feel the strong pull that I did as a child toward anything in particular. I'm seeing everything through different, older eyes, and I'm aware of how everything operates--the mechanics and interactions.

Part of me worries that I'm over Disney, and another part senses that I will always be called back. Am I just in love with the idea of Disney but not the reality? Am I just seeking a new type of experience at the Most Magical Place on Earth? I've explored resorts and attractions, and while everything is nice, nothing really wows me anymore. Have I lost the spark of childlike wonder? How do I bring the magic back, if at all? Have I just been spoiled? What do you do to keep the magic fresh? How do you sustain it?

You have to learn to love new things. I'm intrigued by the business and logistical side of things so when I visit I pay closer attention to that stuff.

I completely understand how you feel. I've felt this way a lot recently, and I think my plan is to wait a while until things at WDW start to come together. Right now there's just so much construction and renovating going on that it just ruins it and makes everything seem so...unmagical. In the recent past, we've gone once a year, but I think if I don't get a PI in Orlando this next fall, we are going to probably hold off for a few years (maybe around 5?) and try some other things (Disneyland anyone? :)) in the meantime. I'm sure by the time the next trip rolls around I'll be dying to go, and there will be new things to explore and discover!

Animaniac93-98

saran-wrap-product-detail-page.jpg

copcarguyp71

Ok...so, weird fact. I chose one item of clothing from vacation when unpacking (no...not underwear or socks...ewww) usually a T-shirt and put it my closet. The smell of sunscreen, air conditioning, ocean and general smells of wherever we have vacationed (pleasant ones) that have clung to it stay for quite some time and each time I go into my closet I am reminded of wherever I have vacationed and it just kind of relaxes me as I am rushing to get ready in the morning.

Yes, I know I am odd...I have embraced it and moved on!

juniorthomas

Whenever you doubt WDW, ask yourself this: if someone gave you free tickets tomorrow, would you take them?

May your answer always be yes.

(And if it is a no, that's fine too.)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Ok...so, weird fact. I chose one item of clothing from vacation when unpacking (no...not underwear or socks...ewww) usually a T-shirt and put it my closet. The smell of sunscreen, air conditioning, ocean and general smells of wherever we have vacationed (pleasant ones) that have clung to it stay for quite some time and each time I go into my closet I am reminded of wherever I have vacationed and it just kind of relaxes me as I am rushing to get ready in the morning.

Yes, I know I am odd...I have embraced it and moved on!
I usually put my suitcase in our home office so when I walk in there it smells like our resort room. I occasionally just put my nose into and snort up the smell like a pixie duster attempting to overdose.

wendysue

Gone past my price point... so maybe in a couple years we will think on it again.

EOD K9

To keep things fresh we usually head over to a resort we haven't seen in a while or ever been to. We also discovered the magic of DCL. The wife and I will stay in the bubble on both ends of the trip but don't hit the parks. My next trip will be with my (by then ten month old) twins. Seeing it through their eyes will make a difference.

TXDisney

Honestly it depends what you're into. My wife and I we like to do the rides during the day but relax in the evenings so we do nice dinners and watch the fireworks to finish off the nights. Bc we like to enjoy a few drinks normally we end every night beside the MK days at Epcot to eat dinner and have drinks in WS. But we make sure we so mostly everything when we go for a week. Try new restaurants, hang out in DTD a lil more, try new rides bc there's always a few new ones every trip usually. Walk around the resorts is a new one we've started and we love that.

epcot2004

I actually did not even want to go on our most recent trip which was at least #23 in the past 19 years. The parks seemed stale and realized after all of these years that we are nothing but $ signs to Disney. A funny thing happened, it was probably our best trip to date! We relaxed, quickly realized that FP+ was not going to keep us off attractions if not booked 60 days out, and did not rush thru without taking it all in. I have gone from not caring if we ever went back to planning a trip for spring.
There is always something new to see or do, we still have not seen every show or movie in WS nor have we eaten at many food locations (food is a huge part of the trip for us). We also realized that there is some value to spending time at the resort (we stayed at YC). We figured that if we are paying all of that money for the room we might as well spend some time walking around instead of going crazy running all over the parks every day for 8am-midnight. We also take at least one day off from the parks on a 6 night trip. Going for F&W or F&G is also enjoyable. The trip although about average in length felt much longer which was another plus.
With Disney Springs opening soon followed by Avatar Land (which I hate the idea of but it will probably be cool) and anticipated additions to HS we will keep going. I am one of those people who feels compelled to go see whatever is new as soon as possible.
The bottom line for us is that even though staying on property is severely overpriced and realizing that Disney really does not care if 'you' go or not the immersive experience can only be gotten there (California not practical for us) being a two day drive is still worth it to us after a similar concern as yours.

Bugz

Well I hear this more and more and I have also found myself focusing on the (broken) things but when I feel myself doing that I think back at the first trip and realize there was still things broke then I just looked over that and was in the magic mode of the awesome disney experience and even disney has its bad times and problems I have to look away at flaws and forgive them because I know sooner or later they will fix it , its on their list and I have to give them time to get to it , ......they are humans just like us and it is an awesome place no matter what.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom