How do you handle the suspense????

powlessfamily4

Original Poster
At the age of 42 I am about to experience WDW for the first time. My brother, an avid WDW vacationer talked me into going this year. The past 6 months has been a barrage of trivia, Youtube videos, Tivo'd theme park specials and the telling and retelling of magical moments from years past. I am 24 hrs from leaving and I am positively combusting inside!!! My hands are sweaty, I have butterflies in stomach and I can't concentrate on anything but the packed suitcase sitting in my bedroom.

My question to you is how do you handle the 24hr window prior to leaving for Disney? What can one do to take their mind off the departure of such a highly sought after adventure?
:sohappy:

Missymoe4

I do everything that you stated you've been doing. I will go over my schedule, double check that I have everything, look through Disney books, daydream about being there and how the travel will go...

The suspense builds and builds. I can hardly fall asleep I'm so excited about going.

Everyone around me hears about Disney--that's all I talk about, think about...my life is consumed by the upcoming trip.

Basically, I can't contain my excitement. :)
But that's what makes the whole trip more fun.

PurpleDragon

I too am 24 hours away from leaving, and I too am from GA. Basically you have what I like to call "Short-timers". It means you will be leaving in a short time and your brain has already checked out. :lol:

Best thing I can tell you is to just keep yourself busy with small tasks, nothing too big because you will get easily side tracked thinking about your trip. Just do lots of little small stuff, menial tasks, organizing, making a list of things you want to do on your trip, etc.... Like me, I'm spending my day at work today cleaning my office, straightening my desk, and surfing WDW related sites like this one. Anything outside of that you can pretty much forget about. :p

Have fun on your trip, who knows we may pass one another in the parks and not even know it. :wave:

rodserling27

At the age of 42 I am about to experience WDW for the first time. My brother, an avid WDW vacationer talked me into going this year. The past 6 months has been a barrage of trivia, Youtube videos, Tivo'd theme park specials and the telling and retelling of magical moments from years past. I am 24 hrs from leaving and I am positively combusting inside!!! My hands are sweaty, I have butterflies in stomach and I can't concentrate on anything but the packed suitcase sitting in my bedroom.

My question to you is how do you handle the 24hr window prior to leaving for Disney? What can one do to take their mind off the departure of such a highly sought after adventure?
:sohappy:
Your post got ME excited for you!!!

To handle the suspense, I count down the days, then hours. I listen to my massive collection of WDW CDs and attraction soundtracks, watch the Samantha Brown special on Travel Channel, etc. I also make sure i have everything with me prior to leaving!

Oh man, have a blast!!!

Evil Genius

I'm pretty much useless the 24 hrs before I leave for the World. Mentally I've already hit the road and I'm halfway to Dole Whips and Space Mountain and anything to do with the "real" world simply ceases to mean much of anything.

So I force myself to focus and just make it through the day knowing that the next morning I'll be packed and on the highway speeding towards my destination!

bgraham34

I try to do as little as possible and just prepare myself to go. Best way to handle it is to just accept that you are running around with your head cutoff.

PurpleDragon

I'm pretty much useless the 24 hrs before I leave for the World. Mentally I've already hit the road and I'm halfway to Dole Whips and Space Mountain and anything to do with the "real" world simply ceases to mean much of anything.

So I force myself to focus and just make it through the day knowing that the next morning I'll be packed and on the highway speeding towards my destination!

Ditto!! I often struggle to find enough focus to make it thru the day due to me having "Short-timers" so bad. I get excited before vacations anyway, but when I'm on the eve of a Disney vacation my excitement is increased 10 fold. Even though I've been there hundreds of times in my lifetime, each time I go I feel like a kid again. :D

Evil Genius

Ditto!! I often struggle to find enough focus to make it thru the day due to me having "Short-timers" so bad. I get excited before vacations anyway, but when I'm on the eve of a Disney vacation my excitement is increased 10 fold. Even though I've been there hundreds of times in my lifetime, each time I go I feel like a kid again. :D

I'm right there with you.

I normally put up a countdown in my office the day I book my trip and start scratching off each day as it passes as if I'm counting down days in a prison cell.

My friends as a general rule thing I lost it a long ago and this sort of activity really seals the deal.

PurpleDragon

I'm right there with you.

I normally put up a countdown in my office the day I book my trip and start scratching off each day as it passes as if I'm counting down days in a prison cell.

My friends as a general rule thing I lost it a long ago and this sort of activity really seals the deal.

LOL!! I tend to keep my WDW fanaticism under wraps, I just save stuff to my PC and no one ever sees it. The only people who know I'm a WDW fanatic are my family and really close friends, most of my co-workers have no idea. :p

powlessfamily4

Original Poster
I too am 24 hours away from leaving, and I too am from GA. Basically you have what I like to call "Short-timers". It means you will be leaving in a short time and your brain has already QUOTE]

Yeah I am pretty much useless.... I barely slept last night and I have been putting together Disney puzzles via an app on my phone for the last 36 hours. Everyone in my office keeps asking if I am excited. Heck yeah I am excited!!!

PurpleDragon

Yeah I am pretty much useless.... I barely slept last night and I have been putting together Disney puzzles via an app on my phone for the last 36 hours. Everyone in my office keeps asking if I am excited. Heck yeah I am excited!!!

Yeah I'll pretty much be on here all day just trying to pass the time quicker. I've done all the busy work I can find here, I'm not starting any projects cause I know I'll get nowhere on them. So I'm just gonna surf WDW sites all day until its time to go.

Evil Genius

LOL!! I tend to keep my WDW fanaticism under wraps, I just save stuff to my PC and no one ever sees it. The only people who know I'm a WDW fanatic are my family and really close friends, most of my co-workers have no idea. :p

Not I! I came out of the Disney closest years ago and have never regretted it!

In fact my friends come to me now to help them plan their trips down. Which right now is the closest I'm getting to the parks because I have no clue when I'll be able to afford to go in the future.

See...I owe the IRS a metric ton of cash...puts a crimp in the vacation plans...

So I go vicariously through other people's trips...sad ain't it?

toetheline29

Good to see that the consensus is that there is NO way to handle it, lol. We're all useless before a trip, I guess. :ROFLOL:

Trip reports are a good way to pass the time (either read other people's, or start your own!). Looking at WDW photos on Flickr, watching Youtube videos (which you mentioned), listen to Mouse World Radio... Oh, and of course, rewatching your favorite Disney movies (or having it on in the background while you finish up last-minute tasks :) )!

PurpleDragon

Good to see that the consensus is that there is NO way to handle it, lol. We're all useless before a trip, I guess. :ROFLOL:

Trip reports are a good way to pass the time (either read other people's, or start your own!). Looking at WDW photos on Flickr, watching Youtube videos (which you mentioned), listen to Mouse World Radio... Oh, and of course, rewatching your favorite Disney movies (or having it on in the background while you finish up last-minute tasks :) )!

Live365 is my best friend. There are about 2 or 3 dozen Disney Park related stations. They all play BGM, attraction audio, stage shows, etc... I'm listening to it right now. I bought a VIP membership just for the Disney related stations. Whats even cooler is I have the Live365 app on my iPhone so I can listen to it in my car too. :D

Buried20KLeague

Feeling that way at age 42 is GREAT... And it tells me you probably should have been visiting the World for decades by now. It sounds like it'll be right up your alley. :wave:

Have a GREAT trip, but more importantly... Come back here and post about it afterward!! I'd love to read what you think... Taking your first trip as an adult, etc... It's a different perspective we don't often see around here.

And it helps us remember why we have these crazed obsessions for the place, as well. :lol:

LoriMistress

DH and I do laundry, clean the house, go to the store and pick up last minute items, finish packing, etc. Afterwards, we'll relax by watching Disney DVDs, Travel Channel shows, etc. Though, you could always listen to Disney Radio, but that may not be recommended.

128818667343915621.jpg

Dads 2 Boys

:lol: :lol: :lol: This really made me laugh at loud. Ur first sentence is absolutely classic.

I am virtually the exact same way and I think I get more excited than my kids. The only tip I would give you is to succumb to the obsession. Virtually all of the nice folks on this board are the exact same way.

Have a great trip and take the time to absorb everything around you without wasting time. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom