How do the majority run the Disney half marathons?

anc33

by using the run 1 walk 1 method, what kind of pace and finish time did you have for the half? I am wondering if i should try that as well.

We finished right at 3 hours. I did it with one of my good friends who was only three weeks out from foot surgery to remove a melanoma (wear your sunscreen!). Under different circumstances we would have been much faster but we took it easy as she was still in a lot of pain from the wound. I have no doubt you will do just fine with the half in Jan.

by using the run 1 walk 1 method, what kind of pace and finish time did you have for the half? I am wondering if i should try that as well.

Erin, I did a 5K doing run 5 min/walk 1 minute and finished in just under 37 minutes (chip time was 36.53). I figure times that by 4 and I'll get a 1/2 marathon time of around 2 hours and 20 minutes approximately. I plan to do the 2012 WDW 1/2.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I think the idea of walk breaks is that you would actually end the race faster with a certain amount of small/short breaks than if you dredged on and started slowing down your pace. Some would not be affected, but for some, it would all even out in the end. I use to be the "you cant walk, it is against the rules".. then a trained in an Alabama summer.

I did a routine 4 miles last month and was just worn out to start. I walked 4 times. I was so mad. I usually only would walk 1 times over 4 miles to take some fluids. I still averaged a 8 minute mile. I was so surprised.

To each his own and what ever works. :wave:

Yeah, I'm being a little extreme. You have to listen to your own body. I'm still adjusting to this whole "run smarter" philosophy rather than my overkill methods :D.

Anyway, run the way you run, and don't compare yourself to others. Have fun!

Phonedave

I think the idea of walk breaks is that you would actually end the race faster with a certain amount of small/short breaks than if you dredged on and started slowing down your pace. Some would not be affected, but for some, it would all even out in the end. I use to be the "you cant walk, it is against the rules".. then a trained in an Alabama summer.

I did a routine 4 miles last month and was just worn out to start. I walked 4 times. I was so mad. I usually only would walk 1 times over 4 miles to take some fluids. I still averaged a 8 minute mile. I was so surprised.

To each his own and what ever works. :wave:

I am slowly coming around to this way of thinking.

Some of the best overall times I have had are when I feel horrible, and then walk a bit. I get home thinking "that was a horrible run" and when I download the data, my overall time turns out being better.

If you can push and keep banging out negative splits over 26 miles, then thats great. I don't have the pacing discipline to do that. (I know, I should) The run walk program seems to keep that pace even.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I am slowly coming around to this way of thinking.

Some of the best overall times I have had are when I feel horrible, and then walk a bit. I get home thinking "that was a horrible run" and when I download the data, my overall time turns out being better.

If you can push and keep banging out negative splits over 26 miles, then thats great. I don't have the pacing discipline to do that. (I know, I should) The run walk program seems to keep that pace even.

-dave
Dave, I think more importantly, it make that intimidating 26.2 turn into smaller goals that seem more manageable for the mind. Run 5 miles, walk 1 minute, run 5 so on and so forth.

mraphael

I run the Galloway program, following a 1:1 interval. My run pace is btwn 10-11 minutes and my walk is brisk, short strides. I did 14 miles this weekend and felt awesome at the end....

I'll do the same for my full in January...

frank2271

I run the Galloway program, following a 1:1 interval. My run pace is btwn 10-11 minutes and my walk is brisk, short strides. I did 14 miles this weekend and felt awesome at the end....

I'll do the same for my full in January...

With that 1:1 pace, how long would it take you to do a half?

Frank

mraphael

With that 1:1 pace, how long would it take you to do a half?

Frank

Frank, I have not run the half with this pace. I have run a 3:1, and completed my WDW half with a 2:50 time. Taking into consideration that it was CROWDED, COLD and I stopped for a few pictures and the bathroom, it was pretty good.

I completed the same distance in another race with the same pace in 2:25 a month later.

With my currrent 1:1 pace, I am aiming to complete the full in around 5 hours. Again, I have to take into consideration the conditions that I'll be running in. The cold was a HUGE factor for me. Since I train in Florida, it's hard to replicate below freezing temperatures before the race. Not that it will be that cold again, but you never know...

frank2271

Those are actually great times. Maybe I should try this? I kinda have a thing in my head that tells me that walking is not an option.... I know, weird.

You're right about the FL weather being a huge factor. I'm from the Tampa Bay area, poor Rays (sob), and we had some really strange temps last winter. When we did the Princess last year it was COLD and my feet were totally numb for the first mile. I can only imagine what it was like in January when it was in the teens.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about that this year, it will be clear skies, low humidity and 60 degrees all day. LOL

Frank

joel_maxwell

I think the region I live in is perfect. We have 2 or 3 months of true winter and really cold weather, 1-2 months in fall and spring that are perfect weather and 3-4 months in the summer where it is hot as hell. We get it all.

Main Street USA

I think the region I live in is perfect. We have 2 or 3 months of true winter and really cold weather, 1-2 months in fall and spring that are perfect weather and 3-4 months in the summer where it is hot as hell. We get it all.
That's how it is here, too. It's so beautiful outside right now, but I have an 8 month old that makes it hard for me to get out and run.

I'm going to have to start to find some time soon if I plan on finishing the full without collapsing!

joel_maxwell

That's how it is here, too. It's so beautiful outside right now, but I have an 8 month old that makes it hard for me to get out and run.

I'm going to have to start to find some time soon if I plan on finishing the full without collapsing!
Zac, we have one due in June with a 2.5 year old at home too. I am practicing this winter running at 5am. Im not sure how that will work next June when Im up helping at night. Oy!

As you know though, so worth it.

lukacseven

I think there are more walkers in the Disney 1/2 than any other race of any distance I've ever run.

Personally, I like to plan out my race and decide anywhere from 1-3 water stations to stop at during a half (based on weather conditions). I like to take a break and walk at least through those water stops. Otherwise, I try to run the whole race. At Disney in particular, there are parts of the course where the pace generally slows down or where the course widens or narrows. I like to take advantage of these areas. I try to increase my pace as I approach the gas station just past mile 3 knowing I'll have to slow down entering MK. I also like to use the stretch just past the same gas station on the way back to again pick up my pace through to the finish. The start is usually more congested and the pace is slower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom