How do people afford Deluxe?

BigTxEars

Celebrity does this thing with perks. You get to choose one of four perks when you cruise (depending on the promo)

Free regular alcohol package
Free tips
Airfare credit
Onboard credit

We got in on their "choose 2" promo, where you get to choose two perks. My wife and I were like "free alcohol - done, and now what do we choose for the other ....". We went with free tips. We have no airfare, and even though the on board credit was worth about $50 more than the included tips, we were thinking, with free drinks, what are we going to be spending money on?

Honestly, we don't get blitzed, but on vacation we do enjoy wine with dinner, and a couple of drinks here and there throughout the day. Those add up VERY quickly.

Sandals, was even better, totally all inclusive. But every time I ordered a drink, they made it differently. Often they would blend up a banana in it too. Crazy time.

-dave

Sounds like a good plan. I think I would pick the same two "perks" as you did. We have only been on one cruise (DCL on the Magic for a week) so I am not that well versed in cruises. We loved the one we took though :)

Faithann

just booked a trip for next aug the 21st thru 28th, 2 adults 2 children at the Polynesian for 7 nights,, 2,771.04 with base tickets for 6 days. Do your research and scour over every forum you can find and try to be as flexible as possible with your times. There are deals out there you just have to look

TXDisney

Where do you guys find these deals rather then just the disney website. I always thought ticket prices were a flat rate. As for rooms you can catch them in special for construction but outside of that, I thought thise were flat rates too based on season obviously.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
Where do you guys find these deals rather then just the disney website. I always thought ticket prices were a flat rate. As for rooms you can catch them in special for construction but outside of that, I thought thise were flat rates too based on season obviously.
Mousesavers is a pretty good resource as are these message boards and some others.

BigRedDad

Some people are extremely wealthy and can afford. Others forego their futures and spend spend spend. My take on resorts is that I can do everything at the resort a guest can do for the most part. The only real exception is the pool at BC. I will never pay that much for a room. It is simply not worth it. 1.5 night in one of those rooms is a mortgage payment. Could I afford it? Yes. Is it a wise investment? Never. I will hunt for discounts through timeshare rental people. Far better deals. 7-nights, 1BR Suite, Pool view at Boardwalk for $1,200. 7-nights, 2BR Suite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek $500 (yes, 5 hundred for 7 nights starting this Sunday).

Spike-in-Berlin

Back when you could book a stay that began during a discount period and have that price it carry over to your whole vacation, we stayed at Wilderness Lodge Dec 24-26. I was standing in the checking line and was calling to transfer my Dream Dollars to my card when I mentioned in conversation to my DBF that at $129/night I couldn't pass it up that trip. He said the guy behind me had to pick his jaw up off the floor. He probably got a high end room at rack rate.
When we stay deluxe it has usually been offseason in a standard room, with a discount code and using Dream Dollars.

When did they change that pricing policy?

righttrack

I will give out a little hint that helps too. Want to stay at a "deluxe" resort based on size and location rather than themeing? Book via JetBlue Getaways or Orbitz Flight, Hotel, Car and book the Dolphin or Swan. You'll be surprised how cheap it is, and you're on the transportation and right in World Showcase staying at near half the price it is at Boardwalk.

BigRedDad

Vacations period, no matter where you stay, are rarely a wise investment.
Not when you bargain hunt for better than Disney Deluxe accommodations. $500 (I did not miss a 0) for a 2BR Deluxe Suite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs $5,000+ for similar size, less luxurious accommodation on Disney property. The only thing I am giving up is Extra Magic Hours and using the Beach Club Pool. For $4,500+ in accommodation savings, I can deal with missing that 1 hour in the morning or up to 3 hours at night at 1 park per day. With Annual Passes, the room, meals, and everything else, we will be at $3,500 for the 7-night trip. Since we are heading back in February for another week, we save with the APs and we have a 1BR Pool View at Boardwalk for only $1,200 ($5,000 through Disney).

My recommendation to people is bargain hunt. That means not booking through Disney. There are 1000s of timeshare owners that need to rent their points. It costs about half as much to book DVC rooms with RCI points than it does for DVC owners. If you find a reliable RCI business, you can save 50-70% of what the DVC rental sites charge (usually $12 per point).

righttrack

I'm chuckling at the thought of Deluxe resort guests being millionaires. Who know I was hobnobbing with the upper crust when I stayed at BC last month?

I'm sure they would have been horrified to find someone at the low end of a 5 figure salary with no credit card debt was among them. I hope I managed to blend in ok. :cool:

We were lighting cigars out by the pool with 100 dollar bills after our kids went to sleep. Just remember the secret handshake. ;)

brokedad

I've just been checking prices, and for the week I was looking at most Deluxe start at $4000 for a week in the Polynesian, rising to over $9000 for the Contemporary, that's over $1000 per night.

Yet so many people here seem to quite casually be able to afford these and don't bat an eyelid. I see threads here with people deciding between the Grand Flo, the Contemporary or the Poly, with no concern whatsoever for price.

How on earth does anyone afford those hotels at all? Are most people who go to Disney millionaires now? I know there are a lot of rich people in the USA, but I'm amazed there are so many people for whom $1000 on a hotel room they'll barely use doesn't even bother them in the slightest.

My hats off to y'all, wish I had that kind of money so I don't mean to come across as jealous, I'm just amazed how many people here have such vast sums of disposable income.
We usually always stay at a mod, but in October I did splurge and stay at all, the price was 213 a night, never saw it that low so I grabbed it, I'm sure I'll never see it again. I do agree with a lot of people can't decide on a deluxe like its no big deal

Blufusion

Here's my reason for staying off site. Please don't get me wrong I would stay onsite and hope to before I kick the bucket. I have been going to WDW since 1982. Have stayed at The Contemporary in 1992 and the Dixie Landing in 1992 and at FW in 1997. Also have stayed at many of the hotels at Lake Buena Vista from the years of 1985 to 1990. In 2012 I had to retire due to health problems heart,liver and kidneys and I got my SSD don't judge now. I worked 35 years straight from age 13 to age 48 full time all those years and had great career year. I received my back pay of SSD and I got back on my feet. I had the money to do holiday like I have always wanted. Instead of doing WDW I went and stayed at the Marriott Kolina Resort in Oahu Hawaii. It is the last hotel resort right past Disney's Aulani. I stayed for 8 days had a 1 bedroom time share with 2 baths and a rental car for all 8 days plus roundtrip airfare for 2 plus a 45 minute helicopter flight over Oahu for a total cost of $4000.00. Why did I get such a great rate? My partner works for Marriott. We went thru their travel agency and had the best time of our life. The reason I say this. I have always wanted to do WDW and stay at the Contemporary Resort but after looking at their room rates. The room alone would have cost us for what we paid for our whole trip. We go to Orlando we stay at the JW Marriott for a $60.00 a night during December and we drive to WDW. WDW is fun but they are in my opinion overpriced and not worth it as far as what you get. But thats just my opinion. But for our 15th anniversary it will be either a 4 night stay at the Contemporary and a few nights at the JW Marriott. We also can get those rates at The Ritz Carlton as well. Haven't decided yet. Thats in 2016. But if I have my way it will be at the Contemporary Resort or another trip this time to Maui. But it's a dream of staying at the Contemporary Resort. But I got to admit the best time I stayed was when I went camping at FW in 1997 for 10 days at a preferred campsite. I was single then but that was the best trip there for me. BTW we pay for all our trips in cash. We have no credit cards and everything we own in our home was all paid for in cash over the 14 years we have been together this coming May of 2015. We have no kids. Got rid of the car and use the bus system here in Saint Petersburg Florida. If we need a rental car it cost $20.00 a day from Enterprise. .

Last edited:

disney1983

The Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Yacht, Beach & Boardwalk resorts all have conference centers attached to them. When you are staying at one of these hotels for a conference, the room rate is generally WAY lower than the going rack rate. Lots of times, those conferences will take up big blocks of rooms. Last meeting I set up at the Yacht Club, our group rate was $194 per night. (before taxes)

My conference rate at the Yacht Club was $179 per night last year. I believe the rack rate was in the 400's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom