How do people afford Deluxe?

BrerJon

Original Poster
I've just been checking prices, and for the week I was looking at most Deluxe start at $4000 for a week in the Polynesian, rising to over $9000 for the Contemporary, that's over $1000 per night.

Yet so many people here seem to quite casually be able to afford these and don't bat an eyelid. I see threads here with people deciding between the Grand Flo, the Contemporary or the Poly, with no concern whatsoever for price.

How on earth does anyone afford those hotels at all? Are most people who go to Disney millionaires now? I know there are a lot of rich people in the USA, but I'm amazed there are so many people for whom $1000 on a hotel room they'll barely use doesn't even bother them in the slightest.

My hats off to y'all, wish I had that kind of money so I don't mean to come across as jealous, I'm just amazed how many people here have such vast sums of disposable income.

arko

1000$ per night is very high usually a deluxe is in the 400$-500$ a night range. Now suites etc may run that high, but when most people are talking deluxes they are not talking about suites.

I take that back just check GF at Christmas and starting price is 800 for outer building garden view. Its officially ridiculous

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
They are rich or they save for years for the ultimate trip or they scrimp and save all year for their Disney vacation or they are in debt up to their eye balls. Lot's of possibilities.

Personally we could afford a week at a Deluxe but that would mean no other vacations for us. Instead we go value and take other vacations with our kids during the year as well. We are not rich we are middle class at least in the DC Metro Area that is what we are considered.

Last edited:

shipley731

The Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Yacht, Beach & Boardwalk resorts all have conference centers attached to them. When you are staying at one of these hotels for a conference, the room rate is generally WAY lower than the going rack rate. Lots of times, those conferences will take up big blocks of rooms. Last meeting I set up at the Yacht Club, our group rate was $194 per night. (before taxes)

Minthorne

I think at peak seasons at the very prime spots you are dealing with the people who can afford it. Other times with AP discounts and other rack rate reductions you can stay at a Deluxe for around $300 a night. I always did my short stays at Deluxe on a discount, rented points or stayed at the Dolphin. The location made the short stay feel more complete. Now I own DVC so it's not the same. Now it's plan early and watch your booking windows!

arko

They do not always pay full rack rate, they hunt for offers or save just like everyone else.

As arko states, much depends on the room type too.

I recently was at the Yacht Club for a conference and the rate was less than $200/night including tax for a standard room.

yes a lot of times it depends on time of year as well, the busiest time of year will cost the most, and will have the least amount of discounts.

BrerJon

Original Poster
yes a lot of times it depends on time of year as well, the busiest time of year will cost the most, and will have the least amount of discounts.

I was looking at a week in low-season, low crowds, before Spring Break, so if the prices are like then I dread to think how high they climb in busy periods!

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to know I'm not the only person who isn't super rich.

The Mom

Premium Member
They are rich or they save for years for the ultimate trip or they scrimp and save all year for their Disney vacation or they are in debt up to their eye balls. Lot's of possibilities.

Personally we could afford a week at a Deluxe but that would mean no other vacations for us. Instead we go value and take other vacations with our kid during the year as well. We are not rich we are middle class at least in the DC Metro Area that is what we are considered.

I agree. People pay outrageous prices (IMO) for lots of things. Clothing, cars, electronics, etc. We all value different things, and are willing to pay more for something we really want. A trip to WDW is not something that anyone really needs.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I've just been checking prices, and for the week I was looking at most Deluxe start at $4000 for a week in the Polynesian, rising to over $9000 for the Contemporary, that's over $1000 per night.

Yet so many people here seem to quite casually be able to afford these and don't bat an eyelid. I see threads here with people deciding between the Grand Flo, the Contemporary or the Poly, with no concern whatsoever for price.

How on earth does anyone afford those hotels at all? Are most people who go to Disney millionaires now? I know there are a lot of rich people in the USA, but I'm amazed there are so many people for whom $1000 on a hotel room they'll barely use doesn't even bother them in the slightest.

My hats off to y'all, wish I had that kind of money so I don't mean to come across as jealous, I'm just amazed how many people here have such vast sums of disposable income.
People value different things. Many people around here wouldn't dream of staying off-site, and will put off a trip until they can save enough to stay on-site. And some similarly view staying at a deluxe resort as an important part of their trip. To each their own, I suppose.

As for me, whether I can afford a deluxe or not never really becomes the question. I can't justify $500/night for any hotel room when I can rent a whole house or 3 bedroom condo 15 minutes away for less than a third of that.

Last edited:

arko

I was looking at a week in low-season, low crowds, before Spring Break, so if the prices are like then I dread to think how high they climb in busy periods!

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to know I'm not the only person who isn't super rich.

what resort and dates, at low season you should be seeing prices way lower than that

BrerJon

Original Poster
what resort and dates, at low season you should be seeing prices way lower than that

February 8th-16th 2015, Contemporary Resort. $1303 per night rack rate, $1172 with Winter discount. I tried the same dates in March in case there was a conference or something affecting prices, but those rates were even higher.

Like I said, resorts for millionaires only. If you can afford more than twice the cost of an annual pass for a single night in a hotel, you must be seriously wealthy.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
February 8th-16th 2015, Contemporary Resort. $1303 per night rack rate, $1172 with Winter discount. I tried the same dates in March in case there was a conference or something affecting prices, but those rates were even higher.

Like I said, resorts for millionaires only. If you can afford more than twice the cost of an annual pass for a single night in a hotel, you must be seriously wealthy.

The only thing I see available is a Garden Wing Suite for a little over $1300/night. You can probably cut that in half for Bay Lake view when available.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Bay Lake Tower available for $564/night. AKL Villas $422 for studio, $492 1 bedroom. Poly $366.

Still expensive, but you needn't throw out rate for a hospitality suite as your comparison.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member

So the point of this thread is what, to get a reaction out if people? I know that WDW deluxe resorts will cost a lot and I probably won't be able to afford staying there. Just like I know I won't be able to afford a Mercedes. So does that mean I should b$&&! about it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom