How do people afford Deluxe?

DisneyDaver

So am I right in thinking that most people only pay $200-$300, but you have to book way in advance and use discounts in order to stay at those prices? Is that why I never see anything reasonable online when I look (I'm not one to plan trips more than a couple of months out).

The lower priced rooms at the Deluxes (and especially the Monorail resorts) sell out quickly so it doesn't surprise me that only the very high priced rooms are left when checking a couple months out. Try looking 6 months (or even more) in advance and I suspect you will find more availablility at lower prices. Even better, try looking the first day a 30% room discount is announced. I have seen rooms at the Grand Floridian in the mid $300's per night during the first couple days after such a discount was announced. I've seen rooms at AKL in the $200's.

Mid $300's is still a lot, but nothing like $1,300!

s&k'smom

We have booked a year in advance to get lower prices before they go up again, another poster here hooked me up with a travel agent that will be on the look out for the special that come out through the year to lower the price. And we save save save.

DisneyPrincess5

I work hard and I save hard.
This. DH and I are by no means rich, but we don't spend unnecessarily, frivolously, or go on any other vacations. Every penny counts. In fact, I wore like 5 year old shirts on our trip last week. Our vacations are what we value, so we save for that. You wont catch me with new shoes or expensive hair treatments but you will catch me at a deluxe! Its never been anywhere close to THAT expensive either. Whats this $9000?!?!

zurgandfriend

Please take this the right way, I don't mean to come across as rude or a jealous 'have-not', but I'm curious, what is it about Deluxe hotels that you feel is worth an extra $200-300 per night over a Downtown Disney hotel, or a Moderate?

I have stayed in Deluxe resorts before (GF, AKL and WL) when they were a lot cheaper (and using discounts) as well as Moderates, Values, and several off property and Downtown Disney area, so I know what they're like, but for my tastes I don't see what you get that's much better for the money, so I'm interested to see where others find the value now that prices are so much higher.

@ISTCNavigator57 expressed my feelings very well, a deluxe resort is what I want. I have tried to explain this to a friend that drives a BMW, I drive a ford and just like his BMW my Ford has an engine, seats, heater etc. I am very happy to drive a ford and I tell him I don’t feel any need for a BMW. To which he replies “But the BMW is much more comfortable with heated seat, individual climate control and all the other bells and whistles.” I usually counter with “So your BMW is a deluxe car and my Ford is a moderate?”

DisneyJunkie

We're far from rich, but we know the better resorts to stay at are the deluxe ones. But to be able to afford to stay at them, you have to play it smart.

First, take a little extra time (perhaps another year) to save up $. Then, pay attention to the deals that are available and pick the "off season" times of year to visit....both will save you some $ even for the deluxe resorts. We much prefer the Magic Kingdom area resorts, particularly the Polynesian (because of the monorail), but can't always afford to stay there, so what do we do? We stay at the lowest price deluxe resort in the MK area, which is the Wilderness Lodge. It's a wonderful resort we've stayed at many times and always would return to. Sometimes, by paying attention to the available discounts and deals, you can get a reduced rate stay, or have free dining thrown in (or perhaps a gift card to use during the trip)......all on top of the cheaper rates anyway for going in the off-season.

FrostyNaples

I've just been checking prices, and for the week I was looking at most Deluxe start at $4000 for a week in the Polynesian, rising to over $9000 for the Contemporary, that's over $1000 per night.

Yet so many people here seem to quite casually be able to afford these and don't bat an eyelid. I see threads here with people deciding between the Grand Flo, the Contemporary or the Poly, with no concern whatsoever for price.

How on earth does anyone afford those hotels at all? Are most people who go to Disney millionaires now? I know there are a lot of rich people in the USA, but I'm amazed there are so many people for whom $1000 on a hotel room they'll barely use doesn't even bother them in the slightest.

My hats off to y'all, wish I had that kind of money so I don't mean to come across as jealous, I'm just amazed how many people here have such vast sums of disposable income.

I just have to say, you don't view the world in the 'Big Picture' sense too often :p

Close to 7 Billion, and there are resorts for all kinds, Deluxe down to campsites.

Try staying at a private island overnight, where a nightly stay could be 10's of thousands of dollars.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I didn't realise it was a special hospitality suite, I just saw Garden room, and I know in Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach, that means the cheapest basic parking lot view. I wasn't searching for anything special, just the cheapest room for 2 adults, and that's what they came back with.

Do Garden Suites have multiple bedrooms then, like DVC villas? I guess if there's 3 bedrooms in one, the price isn't so bad.

As for resort choice, I'm not really considering a stay, it was purely looking out of interest, but if I did have a Deluxe I'd like to try out it would be the Contemporary, so that's what I was looking at - although even the cheaper ones still seem very expensive to me for what you get.

So am I right in thinking that most people only pay $200-$300, but you have to book way in advance and use discounts in order to stay at those prices? Is that why I never see anything reasonable online when I look (I'm not one to plan trips more than a couple of months out).

If Walt Disney World isn't full of rich people, then I really must be missing a trick somewhere.
The suite you looked at was a Hospitality Suite in the Garden Wing. It sleeps 7 and has areas for entertaining separate from the bedroom.

I don't think most pay only $200-$300. Even during slow season, it's tough to get a deluxe for $300. As for when to get cheapest rates...I've seen good discounts even a few weeks in advance -- it all depends on how demand is going.

ginny159

Our trip next week will cost us $3515 at the Beach Club for 6 nights--that includes tickets for 2 adults (park hopper option), free dining plan, memory maker and standard room. The rate for that room was $399. Not our typical vacation, but I work hard and save what I can for vacations. The free dining plan saved us way more then the fall discount rate. I am so happy I don't have to worry what we will spend at meals! Just have to cover gratuity!

JIMINYCR

Welll, I got this entry form in the mail that said I could win $10,000 a week in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, the drawing is next week, ...sooooo....
If a bunch of guys show up at my front door with balloons....
I'm going WDW Deluxe

216bruce

My husband and I rent DVC points. Lets us stay deluxe for moderate prices!
Thanks! Yup, DVC is how we afford it. A ton of cash up front and, over time, a deal. A MUCH bigger deal the farther away from the purchase point you get. We are currently paying lower/moderate resort prices for VWL. Like other commenters are saying- everyone has their own idea of what something is worth. For me, paying 30-35k for a car is insane, yet to a lot of folks they buy a new one every couple of years in this range. Some folks HAVE to Have a $500 phone the day it's available or a 72" tv for big cash. None of that means a thing to me and are just silly ways to spend time and money. To each their own.

Courtney6682

1000$ per night is very high usually a deluxe is in the 400$-500$ a night range. Now suites etc may run that high, but when most people are talking deluxes they are not talking about suites.

I take that back just check GF at Christmas and starting price is 800 for outer building garden view. Its officially ridiculous

I just got married 3 months ago...but was a single mom from the time I was 17-31...I have taken my daughter 10 times...and we stayed at poly, GF and contemp here and there...I always just did 5 days and booked thru expedia and paid for it at tax time;) We did 5 days at poly..hopper with water park option and flights for around $3k...back in 2011...for me it was worth to sacrifice a few days to stay deluxe

BigTxEars

This thread could be a good ad for DVC :)

I am happy at mods or deluxe but the deluxe resorts have some prime locations that area huge draw. Staying at the BW and being 5 mins from WS is a heck of a nice thing :) We could never stay off property and be as happy as being on property so that is not an option for us.

We joined DVC this year for this very reason, like the deluxe but not the price of them. We paid around $240 a night this past June for BW, that is fairly high but not crazy IMO.

Next trip we are at a 2 bedroom at AKL for a week using our DVC points. But then I am staying for two more nights at French Quarter myself as I have a business meeting after our family vacation. I will be equally happy at both resorts :)

Bjboobear

I've stayed at the all star movies resort, the room was tiny and dirty, not worth the $ even though it was cheap. I stay at the cabins now. It's like having a private house. I also look for specials and discounted rates, I go during the week because the weekends are crazy! Price is also depending on when you go, it is well worth the money at the cabins.

suburbianj

we travel from the UK every two years for our big holiday,usually stay at port Orleans,but decided we wanted to try AKL for something different,don't know how the price breaks down but we got two weeks stay at AKL with free dining plan,flights,14 day for the price of 7 park tickets,universal two week tickets and transfers,plus a $200 Disney gift card for just under $9000.

laynalee07

I agree. People pay outrageous prices (IMO) for lots of things. Clothing, cars, electronics, etc. We all value different things, and are willing to pay more for something we really want. A trip to WDW is not something that anyone really needs.

I actually do NEED trips to WDW! In fact, if I don't have a trip in the works severe depression sets in. My doctor prescribes me trips to Disney!:p:p:p

DisneyJunkie

Welll, I got this entry form in the mail that said I could win $10,000 a week in the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, the drawing is next week, ...sooooo....
If a bunch of guys show up at my front door with balloons....
I'm going WDW Deluxe

Unfortunately they already have a standing appointment at my front door. But I'll write up a really detailed report of my deluxe resort stay.....sound good?

aw14

We are very fortunate overall and have stayed at all levels of resorts. However, deluxes are where we choose to stay now as the location can't be beat. Being able to walk to MK from CR was a huge plus. It is how we choose to spend our $

draybook

Next year will be our first time staying at a deluxe. As a matter of fact, we have two trips planned and both will be at a deluxe. The first was a bounce back at AKL for late August-early September. The second will be a DVC rental, most likely at either the Beach Club or the Boardwalk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom