how difficult is it with a 3-4 month old

nicole3874

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I have a curiosity question. we had to cancel our dec2009 trip b/c i am pregnant with my third child (surprise!!!) and am due Nov 30 2009. Any way, we have been throwing around new dates and settled on Nov 2010 when my oldest is in KDG during "Jersey week". I however am wanted to go back much sooner. We have brought both of our boys at the age of one, that is why we chose Nov 2010 (baby will be one), but not earlier. If we decide to go in March or April 2010, how difficult is it to go with a 3-4 month old. Or is it easier b/c they stay in the stroller or carrier without a fight? And if we do decide to go then, what is the best weeks crowd and weather wise. We have always gone in the off season where there are few crowds and little or no heat.

Sorry for the long winded question, but I really want to get back soon!

trr1

Hi everyone,

I have a curiosity question. we had to cancel our dec2009 trip b/c i am pregnant with my third child (surprise!!!) and am due Nov 30 2009. Any way, we have been throwing around new dates and settled on Nov 2010 when my oldest is in KDG during "Jersey week". I however am wanted to go back much sooner. We have brought both of our boys at the age of one, that is why we chose Nov 2010 (baby will be one), but not earlier. If we decide to go in March or April 2010, how difficult is it to go with a 3-4 month old. Or is it easier b/c they stay in the stroller or carrier without a fight? And if we do decide to go then, what is the best weeks crowd and weather wise. We have always gone in the off season where there are few crowds and little or no heat.

Sorry for the long winded question, but I really want to get back soon!

I think taking a 3-4 month old would be alot of work and not very much fun. Just think of the diapers you must bring and alll their food and just think of their sensative skin in the florida sun. Maybe you could ask grammy and grandpa to watch them or one of your siblings

sjead

We have travelled with my children at various ages. One trip our son was 4 months old and honestly, it was a great trip. Yes, you need to change a lot of diapers and do some trading off for some of the bigger rides, etc. but he had a great time and particularly loved the shows (especially FOLK). I say go for it. . . just keep in mind that you may need to slow down and tend to the baby's needs. Of course, you know that already!!! :animwink:

LoriSue

Well, I dont' think it's ever too early to introduce them to the magic... Just take your cue from the baby, they'll let you know when it's time to take breather. The great thing about Disney transportation is that heading to the hotel in the middle of the day if necessary isn't as much trouble.. IMHO anyway

MyLittleAngels

My youngest was 4 months for her first trip. It was a 10 day trip, and was peaceful and easy. I wore her in a carrier for most of the trip - it was easier than the stroller, which my other kids were sitting in, anyway. She faced me when she was sleeping, and faced out when she was awake, so she could see everything. She laughed at everything she saw and really enjoyed playing around with me so close.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I don't have kids so I can't speak from experience but why would you want to? They won't remember it :shrug: It'll be way more work than it's worth (IMO)

IF (big IF) I ever have kids, they're not going to Disney until they can walk, and go to the bathroom on their own :lol:

Nemo14

I actually found it easier in some ways to take an infant than a toddler. Once thay are potty trained, you have to plan everything around bathroom locations, since you don't get much more than a minute's notice, they tend to be pickier eaters at that stage, and they fight napping then too. :shrug:

JMHO.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Now that I'm expecting my first, my next trip to WDW has been something I've thought about. My BF has only been to WDW twice with his last trip over a decade ago. It's always been a dream of mine to show the BF a phenomenal time at The World through my eyes, and now adding a baby in makes it even more fun to look forward to!

If I were taking my child, I'd stay on property, make sure it was slow season and reasonably manageable weather-wise. If I could pick the time, it would be the quiet time between Thanksgiving and Christmas or the time everything dies after Christmas/New Years.

KZevchik

We have just returned from WDW with our 5 month old. It was a blast! You have to go with the understanding that this is not your past trips where you got to hop from ride to ride. You will need to take it slow and you may only make it on a few rides a day.

With that said, time your attractions with his/her feedings and try to keep your planning around the baby center. Speaking of, these are wonderful additions many other parks don't offer. Air conditioned, changing tables, feeding rooms, a TV with Disney movies, and a full kitchen for your needs. Plus they have food, diapers, medicine, formula, and everything you may need or forget.

I planned ahead and installed two custom fans in our stroller with a re-chargeable battery (it lasted the entire day on a single charge) for the heat and my daughter was comfortable in the upper 90's heat. Keeping them hydrated is key so keep a bottle of water handy. We even bought a nice wash clothe and kept it in the stroller wet and she could suck on it.

Finally, in lieu of all the posters who argue "what is the point" and who obviously don't have kids, the memories are yours. Sure she won't remember it, but you will. Take lots of video and photos throughout the day you will not want to miss his/her expression the first time he/she does an attraction or sees the castle lit up. They do notice these things, my daughter just went nuts for the Tiki Room, Small World, and Haunted Mansion. (Tip: Don't do Universe of Energy, too loud and not enough to keep the attention.) You will be surprised how many attractions you keep take a lap held infant on.

I absolutely loved sharing this with my daughter and I am even considering taking her back down again later this summer.

happymom52003

To those who argue you should not take a baby....why should the rest of the family have to put vacations on hold just because the baby won't remember it? Live your life! Families should not put life on hold just because they have a baby.

Believe me...when you have kids, life is busy and crazy even while you are at home! Especially when you have multiple children...you are always on the go anyway (I joke that I am a "stay at home" mom who is hardly ever actually home!). It would actually be EASIER to be at Disney with a baby and two older children than to be at home. No cooking, cleaning, etc, and constant entertainment for everyone!

MyLittleAngels

Really, why even bother responding with such a negative attitude? If you don't have children, you clearly can't contribute with BTDT assistance.

IF you ever do have children, you'll find your reasonings change .... I often find that the people with the most advice are the ones who know NOTHING about having or living with kids.

daliseurat

Well, I do have a child. And personally, I would not take a child to WDW (or anywhere else similar) at 3-4 months. I wouldn't want to expose a child that young to all the germs on an airplane, or the parks, the heat, the sun, and the tremendous amount of stimuli in the parks. And I wouldn't want to have to plan my day around the needs of a child that young. But that's me. And I am definitely over protective.

Many people do it, have no issues and love it. I'm sure you know exactly what it takes for your family to have a 3-4 month hold to take care of. So you are really the best source of info for this question.

Is it tough to have a 3-4 month old at Disney? Depends on you and the child. Disney has baby facilities in every park to help you. You will go slower. You won't get to do as much as you would with an older child. And you need to consider how having the 3-4 month old will impact the other children's time as well. Because if it's negative, they will make it even worse. Make an honest assessment of your family and how they like to vacation. The make your decision. And have a great trip whenever you go!

The Mom

Premium Member
March and April are iffy months, due to Spring breaks and Easter breaks. The end of April, or early March might be better. If you try to coordinate with a school break, you'll be doing the same as other families.

Both November and March are similar as far as temperature - they can both have chilly days, or can still be warm. (but not unbearably hot)

But as far as age is concerned, you'll be facing the same challenges. Except a 3 month old is lighter to tote around, and easier to feed. :lol:

MouseMadness

I agree with Mom, timing of trip as far as crowds goes would influence me more than age of baby :lol: When we went at spring break our youngest was just shy of 6 months old, and it was a breeze, and very enjoyable. I didn't take her for her benefit, but for mine. :ROFLOL: And if you are nursing, the nursing mother's rooms at the baby care centers are very nice... quiet and private. :)

thrupaytonseyes

We took DS2 when he was 3 months old and DS1 was 4 1/2. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The expressions on his face were priceless. He had a blast. And it was one of the easier trips we have taken. We went when DS2 was 18 months and not wanting to be in his stroller. We were either carrying him or chasing him around. At 3 months old, even though we carried him in a sling or carrier a lot of times, it was easier b/c he was lighter and not trying to wiggle himself down. With a 4 year old you are going at a slower pace anyway. And since you said your oldest is going in to kindergarten next year and you have one in between baby to be and oldest obviously you have a little one and will be going at their pace anyway as well.

I would chose May over March or April if I were you. Good weather and a lot less crowds. But that is just my opinion. Most of the schools in the Northeast have the 3rd week in April off. And I think that is the end of spring breaks, so the last week in April would probably be good too.

By the way, I suggest finding a good sling rather than a carrier like a bjorn. It was a lot more comfortable, easier on my back, and if you are breastfeeding you can breastfeed in a sling while walking around and nobody will know and baby will be comfy.

Good luck, congrats on the pregnancy, and let us know what you decide:wave:

slappy magoo

I don't have kids so I can't speak from experience but why would you want to? They won't remember it :shrug: It'll be way more work than it's worth (IMO)

IF (big IF) I ever have kids, they're not going to Disney until they can walk, and go to the bathroom on their own :lol:

It's not about wanting to take the baby to WDW per se. It's about wanting to go to WDW when you happen to have a baby. I've made the same argument with people who claimed they wanted to go to WDW "for the baby." My argument is "If YOU want to go, and you understand the work it involves, then go and have fun. But if you're going for the benefit of your baby, then wait until the child is old enough that he/she will get some memories out of it."

Slappette & I brought li'l Slapperina to WDW last December. She turned 5 months old during the trip. We went because it will probably be the only time we can go in December (without going during the crazy holiday break) until we both retire. Slappette is a NJ teacher, and she's off on a break for a while raising Slapperina; once she goes back to work, she's not the sort who will take time off beyond the time teachers get just to go on a trip. So this was our chance to see the holiday decorations, do the MVMCP, all of that.

I won't lie to you, it was hard. Much like daliseurat, we were worried about her being exposed to airplace germs, but we were also worried about trying to drive like we usually did before Slapperina. The idea of driving during nap times and stopping whenever she got upset to soothe her would result in a 3 day drive each way. So we took the Amtrak Auto Train from Virginia to Sanford, FL. I won't lie, a lot of the trip was difficult. Slappaerina didn't like the train, and would only sleep if I held her (which I did, sitting up alllll night long). She was out of sorts during much of the trip. All meals were wolfed down, as she found the uncanny timing necessary to wake up just as we were usually within minutes of getting our entrees. She cried a lot, sually feeling more at peace in our room, around familiar toys and music. And she suddenly developed a case of the jumpies; any sudden motion would bring her to tears. If I said "HI!" too quick or too loud, it scared her. And the one "adult" night we had (my sister, her family & our mom went at the same time, and one night mom agreed to watch her grandkids), we had to run back home for a crying jag nothing but the presence of mom and dad could cure. One of my most UN-P.C. moments came when we had to leave the Candlelight Processional when she woke up in the middle of it and started crying. I told my wife "Well at least she didn't throw the celebrity narrator." Oh, it was un-P.C because the narrator was Marlee Matlin.

Now having said all that, I do think it was a pretty special bonding experience for all of us. She got in the swing of things...eventually. And there were some genuinely "ooooooh"-ish moments from the wee one. Like when she woke up in the middle of Finding Nemo: The Musical. We were completely ready for a "WHAT THE F*@! IS ALL OF THIS INSANITY" kind of baby cry, but instead, she soaked it all in, eyes wide, mouth agape, and it was truly magical for us. Likewise, she seemed to dig Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story Mania, and Haunted Mansion. The afternoons I spent playing with Slapperina in our SSR suits whilst Slappette lounged poolside are moments I would not have had were I working during those two weeks. Slappette was also kind enough to occasionally let me run off and play when they were ready for naps but I wasn't. And we did get a few pics of Slapperina with characters (usually when she was asleep, but hey, you can't win 'em all...)

My feeling would be the same as it was years ago, before I had a bambino: you need to really REALLY lower expectations as to the level of "fun" and "magic" you will experience taking an infant to WDW, and what you expect to see and do. But if you really want to go, and you know what those limitations would be, go for it. Don't go because you want the baby to meet Mickey. Go because you want to go, and you understand those limitations. If you decide to go, have a blast. (And try to go when it's cooler, so heat rash is one less thing to worry about).
EDIT: I remembered one other kinda cool moment. While waiting for the parade during MVMCP, Slapperina started to get a little grumbly. I had a repertoire of songs I usually sing and still do) to help her chill out, starting with Doo Wah Diddy Diddy, followed by Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going Out With Him, Marhsall Crenshaw's Someday, Someway & Billy Joel's She's Got A Way. I was singing these songs to Slapperina as quietly as I could, but naturaly, it had to be loud enough to be heard over the din. So my family started singing along, and quite a few people tried to join in, though they got in the spirit of things and sang (shhhh) quietly, to keep the baby from being overhwlemed. And Slapperina fell asleep, big ol' smile on her face, and everyone silently cheered: Yayyyyyyy...

nicole3874

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the info. The consensus seems to be yes, go to WDW with a 3-4 month old. And I will consider the beginning of may. Never even thought of that one.

For those of you who said no, the baby won't remember it, etc. If you read my original post, this is my 3rd child. I have two boys ages 4 1/2 & 2 1/2. My 4 1/2 year old starts KDG in Sept. 2010 so if we waited I would have to take him out of school. We would not be going to WDW for the baby, but for the boys. My 4 1/2 year old wants to know when we are going again. I was just feeling out how difficult it would be with a wee one. As it is, with 2 small boys already, we go slow and take mid day nap/pool breaks during the day. And yes, I have found and love the Baby care centers even for my 2 boys. We always use them to take a 15 minute break for potty and to just sit, color, read, and/or watch tv.

I think we will consider taking the little on in May. That would make my children 5 yrs, 3 yrs, & 5 months.

figmentmom

It's not about wanting to take the baby to WDW per se. It's about wanting to go to WDW when you happen to have a baby. I've made the same argument with people who claimed they wanted to go to WDW "for the baby." My argument is "If YOU want to go, and you understand the work it involves, then go and have fun. But if you're going for the benefit of your baby, then wait until the child is old enough that he/she will get some memories out of it."

Slappette & I brought li'l Slapperina to WDW last December. She turned 5 months old during the trip. We went because it will probably be the only time we can go in December (without going during the crazy holiday break) until we both retire. Slappette is a NJ teacher, and she's off on a break for a while raising Slapperina; once she goes back to work, she's not the sort who will take time off beyond the time teachers get just to go on a trip. So this was our chance to see the holiday decorations, do the MVMCP, all of that.

I won't lie to you, it was hard. Much like daliseurat, we were worried about her being exposed to airplace germs, but we were also worried about trying to drive like we usually did before Slapperina. The idea of driving during nap times and stopping whenever she got upset to soothe her would result in a 3 day drive each way. So we took the Amtrak Auto Train from Virginia to Sanford, FL. I won't lie, a lot of the trip was difficult. Slappaerina didn't like the train, and would only sleep if I held her (which I did, sitting up alllll night long). She was out of sorts during much of the trip. All meals were wolfed down, as she found the uncanny timing necessary to wake up just as we were usually within minutes of getting our entrees. She cried a lot, sually feeling more at peace in our room, around familiar toys and music. And she suddenly developed a case of the jumpies; any sudden motion would bring her to tears. If I said "HI!" too quick or too loud, it scared her. And the one "adult" night we had (my sister, her family & our mom went at the same time, and one night mom agreed to watch her grandkids), we had to run back home for a crying jag nothing but the presence of mom and dad could cure. One of my most UN-P.C. moments came when we had to leave the Candlelight Processional when she woke up in the middle of it and started crying. I told my wife "Well at least she didn't throw the celebrity narrator." Oh, it was un-P.C because the narrator was Marlee Matlin.

Now having said all that, I do think it was a pretty special bonding experience for all of us. She got in the swing of things...eventually. And there were some genuinely "ooooooh"-ish moments from the wee one. Like when she woke up in the middle of Finding Nemo: The Musical. We were completely ready for a "WHAT THE F*@! IS ALL OF THIS INSANITY" kind of baby cry, but instead, she soaked it all in, eyes wide, mouth agape, and it was truly magical for us. Likewise, she seemed to dig Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story Mania, and Haunted Mansion. The afternoons I spent playing with Slapperina in our SSR suits whilst Slappette lounged poolside are moments I would not have had were I working during those two weeks. Slappette was also kind enough to occasionally let me run off and play when they were ready for naps but I wasn't. And we did get a few pics of Slapperina with characters (usually when she was asleep, but hey, you can't win 'em all...)

My feeling would be the same as it was years ago, before I had a bambino: you need to really REALLY lower expectations as to the level of "fun" and "magic" you will experience taking an infant to WDW, and what you expect to see and do. But if you really want to go, and you know what those limitations would be, go for it. Don't go because you want the baby to meet Mickey. Go because you want to go, and you understand those limitations. If you decide to go, have a blast. (And try to go when it's cooler, so heat rash is one less thing to worry about).
EDIT: I remembered one other kinda cool moment. While waiting for the parade during MVMCP, Slapperina started to get a little grumbly. I had a repertoire of songs I usually sing and still do) to help her chill out, starting with Doo Wah Diddy Diddy, followed by Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going Out With Him, Marhsall Crenshaw's Someday, Someway & Billy Joel's She's Got A Way. I was singing these songs to Slapperina as quietly as I could, but naturaly, it had to be loud enough to be heard over the din. So my family started singing along, and quite a few people tried to join in, though they got in the spirit of things and sang (shhhh) quietly, to keep the baby from being overhwlemed. And Slapperina fell asleep, big ol' smile on her face, and everyone silently cheered: Yayyyyyyy...

The best post I've read all day.
thumbup6ly.gif

thrupaytonseyes

Agreed!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom