How committed is WDI to the Batuu / Galaxy’s Edge original concepts?

EPCOT-O.G.

Original Poster
I’ve been following this land’s development for some time on here and elsewhere, and have had the fortune to visit both. For a multitude of reasons I don’t think I need to rehash, it seems that original design concepts have never been fully implemented, or abandoned wholesale. It’s clear that the original plans to create this wholly immersive land (e.g., points systems that affect how you’re treated within the land) haven’t been implemented, and the LARPing aspects of the land are a thing of the past. It feels like Disney has (rightly) realized that the future is in The Mandalorian, and some of the cast from their recent films don’t seem to eager to return.

In addition to the interactive aspect of the land, it’s clear that one of the original guiding principles was that it was set in time between TLJ and TROS, causing the famous exclusion of any prequel or original trilogy references not included in the more recent films. I just wonder - given the necessary and understandable recalibration of existing and ongoing projects at the park, is there a chance that the prime directive that this land be set at a specific moment in time could be rethought during this time? An infusion of original trilogy or Mandalorian characters would be welcome additions, and could add some verve to an otherwise beautiful if not lifeless environment.

Wondering if anyone like @WDW Pro or @marni1971 are aware of anything along these lines.

GimpYancIent

I’ve been following this land’s development for some time on here and elsewhere, and have had the fortune to visit both. For a multitude of reasons I don’t think I need to rehash, it seems that original design concepts have never been fully implemented, or abandoned wholesale. It’s clear that the original plans to create this wholly immersive land (e.g., points systems that affect how you’re treated within the land) haven’t been implemented, and the LARPing aspects of the land are a thing of the past. It feels like Disney has (rightly) realized that the future is in The Mandalorian, and some of the cast from their recent films don’t seem to eager to return.

In addition to the interactive aspect of the land, it’s clear that one of the original guiding principles was that it was set in time between TLJ and TROS, causing the famous exclusion of any prequel or original trilogy references not included in the more recent films. I just wonder - given the necessary and understandable recalibration of existing and ongoing projects at the park, is there a chance that the prime directive that this land be set at a specific moment in time could be rethought during this time? An infusion of original trilogy or Mandalorian characters would be welcome additions, and could add some verve to an otherwise beautiful if not lifeless environment.

Wondering if anyone like @WDW Pro or @marni1971 are aware of anything along these lines.
I say what is the hold up on having interactive Droids roaming about? R2D2 was already experimented with the guests and was a hit. Droids will not be breathing on the guests and simpler to fully sanitize than a human. Not having the SAVIES hand built lightsaber experience up and running is a big loss, guests really enjoyed it. Hey! Would it be possible for the imaginEars to create a FEAUX bolt of lightning periodically striking one of the spires? That's kind of reaching, but, why not? Don't really need to see the emperor just hear his voice.

DoleWhipDrea

I’d certainly be surprised if WDI didn’t have a team specifically tasked to come up with ways to incorporate The Mandalorian in Galaxy’s Edge (besides the superimposed Baby Yoda/the Child Photopass option you can get at Hollywood Studios. Disney has fast tracked as much merchandise of the show as possible in the parks, too - Galaxy’s Edge even now has a version of those special land-specific plushies of the little guy.

Several missions were also designed for MF:SR - the original test footage shown to an audience featured visuals from the original trilogy. I think I remember hearing that 4 missions were designed for the ride.

For The Mandalorian alone, I think Disney would be willing to break the timeline limitations. They already did it for Star Tours. Can you imagine the wait times there would be just for a meet and greet with Mando and the Child (when it’s deemed safe to bring meet and greets back, of course)?

As for roaming droids, I’ve unfortunately heard that Disney has no plans to bring them into the land in the future (save for the few times that a CM walks around with R2D2.)

If anything was done to ROTR, I’d be surprised. And yet, it’s so fickle with its day to day operations that it might be an easy excuse for WDI to fix the ride to actually perform reliably...

nickys

Premium Member
I could have sworn I’d read that thee is a Baby Yoda figure sitting in the rock work somewhere in GE already. Could even have been a news article here, maybe Blog Mickey or the DFB. So I think they’ve already broken that design concept.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I’ve been following this land’s development for some time on here and elsewhere, and have had the fortune to visit both. For a multitude of reasons I don’t think I need to rehash, it seems that original design concepts have never been fully implemented, or abandoned wholesale.

Are you actually serious? Everything that's done now is subject to bean counters. It has zero to do with any actors.

erasure fan1

I can't see them not opening up the land to different time periods. Like was said above, it's all on the bean counters. And I see no way that Disney keeps this in the sequels once they have their new star wars movies. They are going to want to push whatever the new plan for star wars is, through all channels. Plus I'm sure they realize being able to celebrate the originals with special events could be huge. So in the end I see the land becoming whatever time period they need it to be.

Heppenheimer

I'm completely satisfied in a Fantasyland where Peter Pan, the Little Mermaid, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Winnie the Pooh, Beauty and the Beast and the Children of the World can co-exist, so I could not give less of a flip if I saw Kylo Ren and Darth Vader roaming the same section of a park.

Then again, I might be in the minority here. Sci-fi fans seem particularly sensitive to canonical consistency (in completely fictional worlds...), so I can imagine the the internet outrage explosion that would erupt if they started mixing time periods.

I daresay the fans will probably apply the same microscope to the upcoming Marvel Campus at Disneyland.

EPCOT-O.G.

Original Poster
Who said anything about actors? The post you quote doesn't mention them.
Was wondering that too. I mentioned “cast” only in the sense that I doubt there’s much of a future in what’s known as the Sequel Trilogy or a continuation of the Skywalker Saga. Boyega (justifiably) has kind of burned a bridge, Isaac has said he has no interest in returning unless he wants to buy a house, and they’d have to nerf Ridley (I think she could carry more movies if they want her to). I wasn’t referring to the absence of “streetmosphere” or the like, just whether the fixed-in-time dictate could be done away with. Seems an easy fix, especially given the perceived popularity of The Mandalorian vs the last two SW films.

Piebald

I always thought itd very easy to incorporate some OT stuff temporarily/seasonally. Like..and I know people hate this...but have like special nights or weekends where they bring out special characters, change MF. Hell, maybe even have an upcharge. The fans will pay. Star Wars fans pay for anything.

Robbiem

This is what Star Wars land should have been all along. A celebration of all things star wars not just the sequels. Most people don’t give a damn on continuity we just want to have fun and see characters like Darths Vader and Maul, yoda, luke skywalker, mando etc. Not including them is like building a Disneyland and not having Mickey Mouse there just woody

HanSoloDolo

You are not going to win either way. That’s the nature of the beast unfortunately. You make it OT and there will be you tubers and podcasters screaming it’s should have been PT. You make it PT the kids will want ST (yes there are younger people that view the ST as “their” Star Wars). They should have split it into 3 mini ones each set in a different timeframe. To capitalize on merch sales. Naboo as PT. Tatooine OT. Maz castle ST.

sedati

I'd love to see a guesstimate of what built areas are not yet utilized. The building next to the garage seems to be one. I believe there's a space next to Doc Ondar's that isn't open and I still think the landing pad overlooking the Falcon is meant to be a flex space where different craft could be placed. Anyone know more?
Most importantly, where is the beast of burden (Wooly Bantha-like creature) that was promised?

trainplane3

I'd love to see a guesstimate of what built areas are not yet utilized. The building next to the garage seems to be one. I believe there's a space next to Doc Ondar's that isn't open and I still think the landing pad overlooking the Falcon is meant to be a flex space where different craft could be placed. Anyone know more?
Most importantly, where is the beast of burden (Wooly Bantha-like creature) that was promised?
I just want the restaurant built. Yet they decided to build everything but the actual restaurant.
foodplz.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom