How close together trips have you made?

DisneyPhD

How many of you have made back to back trips close together? (2 or more) This is why I am wondering.

With the new DVC AP discount it is such a deal we are getting one for each of us for our upcoming Feb-25 to March 4th trip (BCV). We are going with another group of friends so there will be 10 in all in our group.

We were thinking since we got the AP let's go again. Well the next best time to go is May since hubby has a break between teaching Winter and Spirng classes. We went to Vero Beach last year 1st week of May and loved it. It was a great trip. We didn't do WDW since we had just been there in Jan 5 months before (and our AP had expired). Well I did find myself wishing we did a few days at WDW while we were in Orlando.

So the plan is return April 29 to May 3 and stay at POR (we got a good deal with an email code, 79 a night) and then head over to VB for 3 nights May 3rd to 7th. Air fare isn't too bad (less then 200 per person,) rental car is around 200 and food isn't too much of an issue since we are DVC and POR now has refreg. I mean hey you have to eat at home too. It will be nice to have a just family trips since we are going with friends and my niece is staying with us on the Feb/March trip.

We have 8 weeks to our next trip, then 8 weeks after coming home we go again. Heck I was thinking about it and if we do this we will be in WDW for at least one day each in Feb, March, April and May. How nuts is that? :p

Is 8 weeks to close together? We will be traveling with a 4 year old and a under 1 year old (7 and 9 months at time of trips.) So far the baby is a really easy going kid, so I am not too worried about it and we know how to travel with kids.

We haven't told family because they are going to think we are just nuts!

Mom's the word

DH and I went the beginning of October - with a lot of family - and are going by ourselves in 2 weeks. The best part was when I booked our room at the end of October. The lady on the phone asked "When was your last trip to WDW?" and I said "October 2004!". She paused for a minute and then said "Let me guess, are you calling from WDW right now?". I wasn't but we both had a good laugh. I guess some people can't understand wanting to go so often but for us WDW is the best place to vacation.

Upvote 0

disgolfer

The biggest trip I have ever done was back when my mother and I worked at two different Disney Stores, so the rates we got were unbelievable. During one summer in the late 1990's we spent a total of 42 days at WDW over the course of two months. We were taking everyome in the family and all of our friends. Our family only came home to pay the bills.

The funny thing about it is that I never once got tired of WDW. I hated to leave. Now I am the biggest freak.:rolleyes: :)

Upvote 0

AEfx

If you can afford it - hey, go whenever you can. :)

Although I live some 1300 miles away, and I'm not wealthy by any means, I make it for 3-5 days every three months or so, with one yearly trip that is a week or two long. I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to do this - as a kid I had many years between trips so I appriciate being able to do so very much.

Then again, I'm not staying at the Boardwalk concierge and buying park hoppers - I've got an AP and usually get the most discounted rate I can at a value resort (Pop is the only one I like). The most I pay for airfare is $150, and 5 nights at a value is about $275, so for just over $400 I've got a six day/five night vacation (I have flexible work hours so I just schedule it between - I work a lot before and after) every couple of months.

I'm also trying to decide on my next trip - I haven't been down since late October, and I have time off from work and ressies at the $49 rate for the second week of January. I made the ressies as soon as I got home from the last trip, but I find myself actually asking the same question - is it too soon? I could use the money for a few other things, and I'm not "itching" to go nearly as bad as I thought I'd be.

But then I'm like...ohmigod. It's Disney World. Of COURSE I wanna go...

Heh, I think I just made my decision. :) I think you will too - I really can't see one having too much Disney World in their life.

AEfx

Upvote 0

ZHoyt

My wife and I were married at the Wedding Pavilion on Jan 5th, 2004 and we stayed from the 4th through the 12th at the GF, BCV, and BWV. We returned in August 2004 for four nights at POFQ. Then in November of 2004 we spent a week in the BCV. Now we are returning this Sunday (1-2-05) for five nights at the BW to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We will then return the first week of March for four nights at the BWV with my parents.

This may not seem much for Floridians, but we're from Iowa. And broke students who save every dime for WDW.

Upvote 0

AEfx

ZHoyt said:
This may not seem much for Floridians, but we're from Iowa. And broke students who save every dime for WDW.
You know, it's similar for me since I started taking frequent trips like yourself. I find myself spending far-less day to day on "extras" - instead of ordering out lunch at work, I bring something I cooked from home. It's just as good - better, since I made it, LOL (I'm a decent cook) - cheaper, just a bit less convenient. But just that alone, say $30 a week I'd spend on lunch - over a month, that pays for two nights at Pop century for me. It's how I look at things now.

Even the little things. I work late nights often (over night, say 10pm-6am), and I don't drink coffee so I drink diet soda for caffine. Instead of going to the machine and spending $1.25 every couple of hours ($4/night), I just spend .89cents at the grocery store, buy a big bottle, and drink it in a mug. There's another $10-$20 bucks a week.

It's funny what you can save when you just plan a little ahead. It's worth it to fly across the country every couple of months to get my fill of the happiest place on earth though. :)

AEfx, who fears he got way off topic ;)

Upvote 0

Pluto Parking

What is it?

DisneyPhD said:
How many of you have made back to back trips close together? (2 or more) This is why I am wondering.

With the new DVC AP discount it is such a deal we are getting one for each of us for our upcoming Feb-25 to March 4th trip (BCV). We are going with another group of friends so there will be 10 in all in our group.

We haven't told family because they are going to think we are just nuts!
What is the DVC discount? Could you explain? I'm a member.

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

Because I live in Illinois it is not so easy to come down as often as I would like. This year we went down for Labor Day for a week and a half. But then Frances hit and we missed out on 2 days so we decided to make them up. We went Dec 15th -19th. We had a great time since we had never been here during the holidays. Unfortunately, it was pretty cold and crowded but definitely better than spending the weekend here!

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

We've done back to back trips more than once. Actually, we just went for Veteran's Day weekend and Thanksgiving weekend. When we were walking around MK the second time around, it felt like we never left :lol:. It was only 2 weeks after all :lol:.

Trust me, it's not nutty to go on back to back trips. And with AP's (or in our case, Seasonal Passes), it lets us pace ourselves more as to what we can see this time and what we can see the next time around :D.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Pluto Parking said:
What is the DVC discount? Could you explain? I'm a member.
Do a search for DVC and AP - I know there is a thread about it somewhere - for the offical announcement. Or check mousesavers.

In short, DVC members as of January will get substantial discounts on AP's - I think it's $100 for regular adult AP's, and like $130 for PAP's. It's pretty nice - not as nice as the old free admission DVC members enjoyed once upon a time, but a nice discount nontheless.

AEfx

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

DisneyPhD said:
I think what I have the mixed emotions about is the fact that I know my brother and his wife would love to take their daughter to WDW but can't aford it, but little PhD has been soo many times. I think I will just keep quiet about the 2nd trip. Green eyed monsters are so ugly.

Regarding green eyed monsters: I agree. We have friends here who love WDW too but haven't had the opportunities to visit as often as us although we've always invited them to join us (we even told them we'd take care of lodging). We just returned from a visit earlier this month and will be traveling again for New Years with perhaps another visit in the spring. It's only about a 7 hour drive from the Atlanta area.

We also went 4 times during a 12 month span not too long ago. Like many, many others here we love the Magic!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wdwjmp239

rosebud's mom said:
I don't think its crazy. I say - if you can afford it and it makes you happy - go for it !

The closest I ever went is slightly different. I went 2 or 3 days at a time every weekend during the slow months in the late 80's. At that time we had Florida resident passes called 4 Season Salute. They were good for 4 months, actually a little more than that, during set dates. I lived about an hour away, so I took my 3 kids and went every chance I got.

I don't belong to DVC, but I can tell you this: I've had 7 back to back trips during 1999-2000.

Since then, I plan ONE BIG Disney trip (around New Years). If I go to Disney any other time, it's because:

1) I live 3 hrs southwest of Orlando in Naples
2) I have an annual pass
3) I'm bored
4) I feel like riding Test Track
5) I want to watch "The Top 7 Things To Do" on the Disney Resort TV ;)

lol

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
wdwhoneymooner said:
Regarding green eyed monsters: I agree. We have friends here who love WDW too but haven't had the opportunities to visit as often as us although we've always invited them to join us (we even told them we'd take care of lodging). We just returned from a visit earlier this month and will be traveling again for New Years with perhaps another visit in the spring. It's only about a 7 hour drive from the Atlanta area.

We also went 4 times during a 12 month span not too long ago. Like many, many others here we love the Magic!! :sohappy:

I wish we lived only 7 hours away. However if you can get cheap airfare it isn't too bad (just a 2 hour flight.) I am consdiering booking the airfare now since it is under 200 a person, but part of me wants to wait until we get back from the 1st trip to be sure it went well. If I wait that long I most might not get as good of deal. The overall cost of the second trip will be around 1,000. Not bad for a weeks vacation for a family of 4 really. :sohappy: I say that is too good of a deal to pass up.

Upvote 0

dvm

love this topic, especially since some people I know think I go too much too often.

Live in Delaware, and went 3 times this year.

I can't get away from the practice much, so we make short trips. Fly into MCO on thursday evening after work, and fly home on sunday afternoon. It makes for a nice quick fix, and leaves many things to do next time.

Always stay deluxe, since it is only for a few days, and go to a new restaurant or two each trip - for example, we have done both Emeril's, and had a great time eating at the GF restaurant (forget name?) that overlooks the water and castle, and got to watch the fireworks between dinner and desert. Always go to a new character breakfast too. My 3 year old son loves it, and has been 4 times now.

Also did dinner with Shamu at seaworld, and this was great. He is only a few feet in front of you and there were only 10 other people there. sorry for off topic straying...

Upvote 0
I went in September 1999 and then in January 2000. I happened to be in Ft. Lauderdale for work and was able to go to WDW for 4 days that January. Otherwise, because I live on the West Coast, it's hard to get out there too often. This year I will be going in January and again in December.......

If I need my Disney fix, I just drive 5 minutes to DL or DCA.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Original Poster
Well it is looking more and more like the 2nd trip is on. I looked again at our air fare for the March trip and it is down to 69 each way, so I changed the ressies and they are giving us a voucher for the difference and we can use that towards the May trip. On top of that I called WDWtravel again and for some reason they have us down for 3 adults in the room, so they were charing us 15 more a night. So our rooms are 100 less then I thought it was. And we just got a good deal on rental car from budget.

Looks like this trip is too good of a deal to pass us.

I found some other interesting things talking to the CM at WDW travel company. I guess their systems are down right now because they are chaning things for the "Magic your way tickets." The new phrase is "The longer you play the less you pay." Trying to get people to take longer trips instead of 3 and 4 days trips. They hired 200 extra staff just to explan the new ticket system to people over the next few weeks.

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

I went in October of 2003 for 8 days, January of 2004 for 8 days, and September of 2004 for 10 days.

I'm also going in February of 2005 for 11 days, and back in May of 2005 for 10 days.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom