How Big is Too Big? Theme Park Resort Design and the Effects of Higher Energy Prices

GizmoDuck

Original Poster
Saw this on ScreamScape (Via BlooLoop.com)

"I was recently visiting with a former Disney executive, writes Chad Emerson, when the topic of oil prices and their seemingly daily increases came up. The conversation centered on how incredibly expensive it is to operate the massive Walt Disney World complex from an energy use perspective. While the resort has made many efforts to go green and reduce its carbon footprint, the fact remains that the more than 20,000 acres that make up the Most Magical Place on Earth require large chunks of energy to keep the whole enterprise running.

For instance, the internal Disney World bus fleet is larger in number and daily miles traveled than many city systems. While some parts of the resort are accessible by monorail or watercraft, filling up these 250 plus busses with fuel is expensive but necessary in order to realistically shuttle guests throughout most of the sprawling complex.

All of this led to another interesting conversation: How big is too big when it comes to operating a theme park resort?

One of the key ways to answer this question revolves around how expensive it is to operate a resort like Disney World and all of the infrastructure that goes with it. When oil, natural gas, and electricity are cheap (which for much of Disney World’s existence, outside of the oil crises in the 1970s, has been the case), operating the massive resort within a reasonable price frame as compared to smaller resorts is possible.

On the other hand, when gas prices skyrocket, the energy-intensive nature of Disney World and its fleet of busses, boats, and related infrastructure places it at a distinct disadvantage as compared to more compact theme park resorts like Disneyland in Anaheim and Universal Orlando.

Both of these resorts offer a wide array of entertainment and on-site lodging options but with a much smaller physical footprint. Disneyland checks in at less than 500 acres while Universal Orlando comes in under 1,000 acres.

Because of these more compact layouts, both resorts are able to dramatically reduce energy consumption as neither requires an extensive internal transportation system. For example, most Disneyland guests park in one of the resort’s parking decks and then take a short tram ride to the parks. Alternatively, some guests walk to the parks or ride a monorail. All in all, the energy costs expended in transporting guests and employees throughout the Disneyland Resort is a miniscule percentage of the costs that its sister resort in Florida incurs.

Similarly, Universal Orlando has very little need for a large internal transportation fleet as most guests either walk from its mammoth parking structure or, if staying at an on-property hotel, ride a small boat or walk along the large network of interconnecting pedestrian pathways.

As energy prices (especially fuel) go up, all of these resorts certainly take an operating expense hit but the ability of Disneyland and Universal Orlando to absorb that hit is significantly better since they do not expend nearly as much as Disney World when it comes to internally transporting guests and employees.

This brings us back to the original question about the optimal size of a theme park resort. From an operating perspective, Disneyland and Universal Orlando seem to have struck the near perfect balance. Build too small and you risk losing guests to off-property hotels and other entertainment options nearby. This is the challenge faced by most Cedar Fair and Six Flags amusement facilities and why they are generally considered to only be one day destinations.

Disneyland and Universal Orlando strike a perfect balance

It’s also why, despite the fact that it offers two different parks and a waterpark, SeaWorld in Orlando is generally not considered a multi-day destination resort (though it does have a large hotel within reasonable walking distance but across a large surface parking lot).

Conversely, you can build big like Disney World and, if energy costs jump, the sprawling distance between most of the parks, hotels, and other resort areas makes it almost impossible to do anything other than eat the cost since on-property guests are not really able to walk among parks and hotels like they can at Disneyland and Universal Orlando.

Indeed, when you look carefully at both Universal and Disneyland, it’s somewhat surprising to see how very similar they are. Consider these similarities:

• Both resorts have two theme parks essentially adjacent to each other (Disneyland, Disney California Adventure/Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios Florida)
  • Both resorts have three on-property hotels within walking distance of the parks (Disney’s Grand Californian, Paradise Pier, and Disneyland Hotel/Universal’s Portofino Bay, Hard Rock, and Royal Pacific)
  • Both resorts have a central shopping/entertainment district near the parks and the hotels (Downtown Disney/CityWalk)
  • Both have massive parking structures that are either within walking distance or a tram ride to the parks and entertainment district

Pretty interesting how their design and layout are so much alike, eh?

One wonders if not just the limited size (between 500 and 1,000 acres vs. Disney World’s 20,000) but the way that the parks, hotels, and entertainment areas were essentially built adjacent to each other with parking on the exterior makes both of these resorts right-sized for the likelihood of energy prices that will continue to remain high and possibly even increase.

As rumors of theme parks like Busch Gardens, Legoland, Dollywood, and others potentially expanding into full service resorts continue to abound, the size and layout of the parks, lodging, and other entertainment venues at Universal Orlando and Disneyland offer an interesting case study in how to design a destination resort without having to install an expensive and extensive internal transportation network.

Your thoughts?

Is Walt Disney World too big for its own good?

I know there has been extensive discussion on these boards about Disney transportation and alternative means (monorail expansion :rolleyes:)

What will Disney's future look like in an age of rising fuel costs?

How will the resort adapt and ultimately evolve?

TP2000

The comparison to Disneyland USA is an apt one. And it's also worth mentioning that every other Disney theme park property around the world has been set up to be the same compact footprint; two parks, a handful of hotels, connected by a Downtown Disney retail/dining district.

Disney World is the hulking monster that is unlike any other Disney property. But I don't think you blame it for that since it is what it is.

But what WDW management could be doing a better job at, and they could use Disneyland USA as the inspiration and role model, is broader and more consistent use of alternative fuels.

Nearly everything that moves now at Disneyland runs on electricity or biofuels or CNG. The only thing left running on gasoline is Autopia, Hosted by Chevron. Seriously.

The Mark Twain Riverboat and Disneyland Railroad fires all of their steam boilers with biodiesel manufactured locally here in SoCal from the used cooking oil from Disneyland restaurants. The Sailing Ship Columbia and Rafts to Pirate's Lair and Jungle Cruise launches all use Compressed Natural Gas. The fleet of dozens of buses to the Toy Story Parking Lot use Compressed Natural Gas (so there goes the excuse that a big Disney bus fleet requires diesel for some reason). The courtesy vans used to shuttle everyone from wheelchair-bound visitors to prospective DVC buyers have a hybrid engine. Disneyland parking trams use Compressed Natural Gas (and they are much quieter and don't emit any fumes or smell, unlike the old diesel-belching monsters at WDW.)

Even the old-fashioned horseless carriages and Omnibuses on Disneyland's Main Street USA were converted to CNG. They still go put-put-put, but they aren't using gasoline and they emit absolutely no fumes or smell.

Heck, the Disneyland Submarine fleet was converted from 1950's diesel technology to a unique underwater linear-induction magnet system to power the new electric motors that propel the submarines. Disneyland even has ride vehicles that use human muscle as their motive energy, at the Davy Crockett Canoes ride! :lol:

There was a big write-up on all of this in the local newspaper last year, and on my most recent visit to WDW I took notice of all the vehicles and transportation systems still using diesel. You could smell most of them in WDW, which is another detrimental angle to those old technologies.

There appears to be a HUGE opportunity for WDW to transition its attraction and transportation fleets away from belching diesel engines from the 20th century, and join the 21st century fleet of Disneyland that no longer depends as heavily on importing oil from countries that really don't like us.

Further reading on the Disneyland situation;

ANAHEIM, Calif., Jan. 30, 2009 /PRNewswire/ — As part of its ongoing commitment to the environment, Disneyland Resort announced two innovative environmental initiatives to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. The Resort has begun using compressed natural gas to fuel its guest trams and recycled cooking oil to power its Disneyland Railroad steam trains and Mark Twain riverboat.
“These initiatives demonstrate Disneyland Resort’s ongoing commitment to balancing environmental stewardship throughout our operations,” said Michael O’Grattan, senior vice president of resort operations. “These are just a few steps in our ongoing journey to reduce Disneyland Resort’s environmental footprint.”

Used Cooking Oil Fuels Disneyland Railroad

Beginning this week, the Disneyland Railroad is being fueled by a special biodiesel made from recycled cooking oil used throughout the Resort. “We have been recycling our used kitchen grease for years, but this innovation takes recycling to another level,” said Frank Dela Vara, Disneyland Resort’s director of environmental affairs and conservation. “Now the oil used to cook French Fries and other foods is processed to power our Disneyland Railroad and our Mark Twain Riverboat. This move allows the Resort to save approximately 200,000 gallons of petroleum diesel per year.”

The Disneyland Railroad’s five trains have been using a soy-based biodiesel since April 2007. The B99.9 used cooking oil-based biodiesel will continue to reduce emissions by up to 80 percent. Disneyland Resort’s Mark Twain Riverboat also will begin using the new biodiesel within the next few weeks.

Trams Fueled by Clean-Burning Compressed Natural Gas

Disneyland_parking_lot_tram.jpg

As of December 2008, all 16 Disneyland Resort trams, which transport guests between the two theme parks and parking facilities, are fueled by clean-burning compressed natural gas (CNG). The switch to CNG from a hybrid engine was made possible through a $1.17 million grant from the Carl Moyer Memorial Air Quality Standards Attainment Program, which paid for nearly half the conversion costs. Using CNG will eliminate the need for approximately 50,000 gallons of diesel per year. For the 10 years prior to the conversion, diesel/hybrid engines powered Disneyland trams.

DLR%20-%20CNG%20Tram%20Chip%20n%20Dale%20-%20Pic%201-30-09.JPG

http://corporate.disney.go.com/news/parks_resorts/DLR - CNG Tram Chip n Dale - Pic 1-30-09.JPG

“We at Disneyland Resort are proud of our commitment to exploring and implementing new technologies for a cleaner environment and furthering the environmental legacy left by Walt Disney,” O’Grattan added.

wolf359

I've often thought that while the massive increase of the resort's size in the 80s and 90s was a good thing in many ways, it also contributed to a lot of the bad things we're now experiencing. This article calls attention to something most guests consider to be "free" is actually a significant expense to Disney.

Overall, while I enjoy all there is to do at Walt Disney World I think that it is too big for its own good. The problem for Disney is that is difficult to scale back without causing criticism in the fanbase. River Country, Discovery Island, Wonders of Life, the Odyssey, and Adventureland Veranda immediately spring to mind as frequently criticized closures, and the ongoing "effects watch" threads that pop up.

From reading most conversations around here it seems the general feeling is that Disney should cost less than it currently does, yet offer something new in every park every year, keep every guest amenity operating at full capacity year-round, and maintain everything with 100% perfection.

I don't think real life is ever going to be able to live up to those kinds of expectations, but I can't help but think if the resort had a little less to have to operate and maintain it might be a little easier to at least get closer to that ideal.

AEfx

From reading most conversations around here it seems the general feeling is that Disney should cost less than it currently does, yet offer something new in every park every year, keep every guest amenity operating at full capacity year-round, and maintain everything with 100% perfection.

I don't think real life is ever going to be able to live up to those kinds of expectations, but I can't help but think if the resort had a little less to have to operate and maintain it might be a little easier to at least get closer to that ideal.

I think part of the problem is that some people feel like they get neither.

They are paying increased prices, and perceive a lack of additions. Many of us are excited about FLE, but aside from that we really have no idea where any major addition will (or if it will) happen in the foreseeable future.

If they said, "Adding an E-ticket and 2 D's to AK" and "LucasLand, with a real E-ticket Star Wars ride, cantina restaurant, and other additions coming to the studios", people would swallow a much higher rate hike and say, "Thank you, may I please have another?"

Tip Top Club

I don't know, for me, it's size is good for a vacation destination. You know when you're on vacation, you have limited time to see everything, so the fact that you spend certain times at certain parks is great because you're not pressured to try to see everything in one day.

As a fan community it works against us. In the way that Disneyland attracts locals, I for example am local, and I find it incredibly annoying that If I want to ride say Expedition Everest and Space Mountain in the same day, I have to drive my car from one end to the other of property, while for example If I'm at Universal and I start out my day with Harry Potter and Spider-Man then the park gets crowded, I can head to Studios and Ride Men in Black, or the Simpsons, or see Terminator.

I think that WDW will certainly be the last Resort of it's kind, and I think that's probably both a good and a bad thing. In this particular case, it's a trade off.

menamechris

My sympathy for the "powers that be" who have to deal with this situation is pretty much zilch. As has been already stated, there are definetly solutions to help with energy costs, that simply have not been tackled and implemented. Why? Because I am assuming that Disney has structured themselves (as many other companies have) where they run their business based on their quarterly reports. Thats fine - but when you have decision makers and executives dragging their heels in making necessary and long-term money saving investments because they are afraid they won't hit their quarterly bonus, there is a problem. It's a classic case of 'pay me now, or pay me later'. I personally would like to see some decisions being made for the resort with the distant future of the resort in mind, not short-term solutions that these executives hope will keep things afloat until they retire...

erasure fan1

If they said, "Adding an E-ticket and 2 D's to AK" and "LucasLand, with a real E-ticket Star Wars ride, cantina restaurant, and other additions coming to the studios", people would swallow a much higher rate hike and say, "Thank you, may I please have another?"

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

Buried20KLeague

When TDO stops throwing away absolutely tens of millions of dollars a year (monster fleets of Escalades, massive amounts of waste in Imagineering as described by former Imagineers themselves, giant expense accounts as reported on by Lutz and others, a management tree that is WAY overdue to be pruned, and other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head), then they can b!@$% about the cost of energy and doing business.

AEfx

When TDO stops throwing away absolutely tens of millions of dollars a year (monster fleets of Escalades, massive amounts of waste in Imagineering as described by former Imagineers themselves, giant expense accounts as reported on by Lutz and others, a management tree that is WAY overdue to be pruned, and other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head), then they can b!@$% about the cost of energy and doing business.

Don't forget "Next-Gen", which to me is really "Let's blow a billion bucks on a bunch of crap that distracts people from the real issues and will ultimately serve to be an annoying venue for advertising".

CP_alum08

I am no expert on alternative energy, not even close. But if DL can convert the majority of it's gas guzzling mobiles, why can't WDW? Or have they already started? I think the size of WDW is great. I actually like that the parks are so separated, it adds to the magic of being there. Sure the busses can be a pain but there are only certain places where you can see other parks from inside one and i think the only place you can see out of property is atop Everest. Thats pretty cool!

As far as the fan base goes, they/we will never be happy. Never. If they opened 3 more gates that would just give people 3x more to complain about. I don't know how much Disney actually cares what we think, but if it were me making the decisions I would be much more concerned about what the first time guest experience is like rather than the 10 year AP holder. Because you know that AP holder is coming back next year for more, but it's up in the air whether that family of first-timers will ever be back.

CountryBearFan

TDO is not as powerful as you think. They don't make all the decisions.

CountryBearFan

Don't forget "Next-Gen", which to me is really "Let's blow a billion bucks on a bunch of crap that distracts people from the real issues and will ultimately serve to be an annoying venue for advertising".

I completely disagree. The Next-Gen stuff has been great so far and has lots of potential to be a huge blessing for the parks.

I think Eisner dropped the ball in the late 80's when he decided it was too expensive to expand the monorail system. It was one of those pay now or continue paying in the future decisions which is now coming back to haunt Disney.

Another mistake IMO was adding a 4th theme park (AK) when they hadn't even begun tapping into the potential of Disney/MGM Studios. Plus there were still expansion opportunities at Epcot and MK.

menamechris

I think Eisner dropped the ball in the late 80's when he decided it was too expensive to expand the monorail system. It was one of those pay now or continue paying in the future decisions which is now coming back to haunt Disney.

Another mistake IMO was adding a 4th theme park (AK) when they hadn't even begun tapping into the potential of Disney/MGM Studios. Plus there were still expansion opportunities at Epcot and MK.

For all his good and bad decisions, Eisner had a huge task to make the resort a vacation destination - to actually compete with huge cities. In that respect, I understand why essentially two half-day parks were built with the anticipation of expansion. Getting people to stay a full week for 2 parks and one waterpark was not doing it in the 80s. This gave people incentive to stay longer and makre more frequent vacations.

On the up-side - those Disney buses have been around probably 20 years now - and you can really tell. They have to have plans to bein replacing them sometime. Hopefully, there is a plan in place for when that happens.

Tip Top Club

^ - The Disney Buses actually rotate out fairly consistently. I know I've seen several 2011 models making the rounds out there, and they do retire old buses when that happens.

menamechris

^ - The Disney Buses actually rotate out fairly consistently. I know I've seen several 2011 models making the rounds out there, and they do retire old buses when that happens.

If thats the case, I have nothing good to say about the situation. AND I could point out quite a few buses that should be rotated out...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom