How badly Leave a Legacy failed!

BrittanyRose428

Not a failure in my opinion. What was to be my moms last trip to WDW was not possible for health reasons that she ultimately died from. I have a tribute tile to her at Leave a Legacy. Definately not a failure.
I agree, last year my cousin died of cancer and we have a tile at Leave a Legacy that says "Erica [last name]- our princess." I'd hate to see Leave a Legacy go.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Mom's LAL Tile said:
For mom Mary, thanks for showing us the magic

Now its not so impersonal for those who think its a little foolish. I can remember going to Disney with my mom when I was a child, when it was only the Magic Kingdom. Many of my favorite memories are from those times. I went on a band trip in the mid 80s and got to go to E.P.C.O.T. soon after it opened. I was so excited to get to go back home, tell my mom about this new park, and visit many times thereafter. My mom loved Disney and I guess thats where I get my love for it as well. My wife and I have a photo at LAL from our honeymoone. It was only fitting that I leave a tribute to my mom there as well.

Will it be there forever, no. Will it probably be moved soon, yes. Did Disney go into this with the thought of profit margin, maybe, but there is a larger profit margin on a soda more than likely. Disney very likely went into this with the idea that LAL would do just what it was advertised to do. Allow people to feel like part of the magic.

Flight Safety

Yea...

Came across this tidbit as a "tip" at disneyworld.com:

Okay.. now let's look at the press information from Legacy's closure...

750,000 - 550,000 = 200,000 unfilled tiles

That's ~26% of the original total. Nearly 8 years and the thing is under 3/4 of the way full.

They would of had to sell them for atleast 2 more years assuming the rate of sale was steady from start to finish. Far more likely then the needed ~256 sales a day, with how unbusy the kiosks had become, they were looking at several years, 4 or maybe 5.

What a complete and utter failure.

no

For someone who has been going to EPCOT since '84, It was awesome getting to put pics up there! My pic is up there 14 times. Also is my name in front of MK in two places. I think it was an awesome idea and I belive that it was created for us die hard fans who think its cool. It wasnt designed with the idea that it was going to get more people in the gate. It was not an advertised attraction, but rather simply something for the EPCOT fans.

jmvd20

Wow. Ok - I can't believe I'm gonna do this as it is out of character but what the heck. I'm quite angry.

Merf - Im talking to you and others here, but primarily you. I have read your posts and usually enjoyed them. It is obvious that you take a sincere interest in the forum community here. That being said Im getting really sick of the attitude on this subject and for this thread you seem to be the ringleader.

There is an unfortunate act of cowardice being displayed by people hiding behind statements that imply that not only was LAL a failure, but that it was cheesy, commercialized, and that someone would have to be a fool to be involved with it but then not actually calling the participants out as idiots. If you think that we were all fools and suckers for being a part of LAL than go ahead and call us out. Im tired of the implications being thrown about with no responsibilty for the statements being made.

There are pictures on those tiles that carry valuable memories to human beings. Some that you can count on being there are those from Make A Wish families - pictures which may bring back some happy final memories of a child lost. Also there are pictures there from families that may have lost a loved one or may be seperated by thousands of miles on the globe, yet there on that little tile, they are together. And for thousands more perhaps it is nothing more than the happiness of knowing that every day they have a part of the magic without even having to be there. Is there something intrisically wrong with any of these conditions?

Creatively bankrupt Merf?.....Making statements about selling the stones off as countertops and using them as stroller parking areas so no person would see them?.....Please. Stop being a jerk. The world is a nasty enough place without that kind of nonsense being brought here.

If you want to make an argument that financially LAL was a failure then fine. If you want to make an argument that artistically the idea was not executed well then that is fine as well. But the tone that LAL threads keep taking is nothing more than some internet bullies attempting to demonstrate their "Superiority" as they were not "suckered" into being involved with LAL. Im not sure what is required at this point. There are some people here who seem intent on just continuing to needle everyone until we either submit a signed statement of apology or personally go and tear LAL down with pitchforks and torches. You will be receiving neither from me.

To summarize my thoughts: Knock it the heck off.

To those who know me, I apologize for having to state things this way - but a couple of weeks of this crap has pushed my button on the issue.

Maybe Steve will kick me out. I hope not - I have enjoyed being a part of this community but I needed to get that off my chest.

Nicely stated. Nothing to apologize for as you have spoken the truth.

Flight Safety

Yes

Nicely stated. Nothing to apologize for as you have spoken the truth.

I agree. I think that for people who are visiting for their first time, they just dont understand. But maybe they will understand.

To be a member of this forum, you should be a fan. Not argue with each other about how much a failure something is. Especially when that something was made by the place we are all here for.

Im insulted by it. My pic is up there 14 times! I am happy that it is too!

raven

I hate them. They are ugly. I made my first trip to Epcot recently and found myself lost amongst the tombstones. I couldn't believe that they had such an eyesore at the enterance! :hurl:

First we complain about the wand and now it's on the way out. Next is the tombstones and all 550,000 of us will have to locate our faces elsewhere on the property because people don't like to look at it.

Would you rather them be in the middle of Epcot? In front of the castle of Mickey hat? I think they are fine where they are now. The formation of the stones actually accents Spaceship Earth. I don't really care for the color of them but it's something that a lot of people baught into and they owe it to them.

ToTBellHop

I stand by my argument that there were many many more tasteful ways to have Leave a Legacy. My personal favorite would have been to use glass prisms instead of tombstones...the current structures simply are not futuristic. Epcot is massive and has tons of open space, though. They could always relocate everything in the park and use a more tasteful representation of the images.

jmvd20

Im insulted by it. My pic is up there 14 times! I am happy that it is too!

As am I. I look forward to seeing our tiles every time we go.

I have 2 tiles there and paid for both of them - neither was free as part of a package. People have a right to complain that they want the Epcot entrance changed, heck I'd have no problem if the tiles were moved to another location. However, the comments about anyone who bought them being gullable, stupid, classless, and sub-human need to stop.

Some people on this board just have their own feelings on things and anyone who disagrees is either not a fan, lower intelligence, lower class etc...

EpcotServo

Uhh...just because it can FIT 750,000 dosen't mean they HAD to fill it up to 750,000. It's like saying Star Tours is an utter failure because the simulators aren't always full. It's just how many images they CAN fit on it, not how many they NEED to fit on it. Plus the term "Failure" is kicked around so often on these boards. A wheel flying off a coaster and causing a giant explosion that send metal shards raining down on the park is a "Failure". If it's anything other than that, it's not a "Failure".

slappy magoo

without ruffling too many feathers :lookaroun I'd suggest that part of the reason some people don't have any appreciation for the LaL tiles is that, aside from being a way for Epcot to make money off an aesthetic concept, there's no real purpose for them to be there. The walkway between Contemporary & MK has a purpose, AND it's a profit center, AND it's a way for people to connect with their memories of trips or people gone by. They might one day have to be paved over or replaced, but it has a SENSE of permanence, something, IMHO, the LaL project does not.

Granted, I understand, many people have fond memories associated with the tiles, and who they bought them with or who they bought them for, and I can't & won't argue against sentimentality. I certainly hope wherever they go, it looks nice and the tiles are always well kept. But I can't help but think, if the project were truly considered a success, they'd keep it operating until all the potential tiles are sold. Even if they had to keep including them in package deals, so it had the illusion that tiles are still selling...even if they started using them as a memoriam to WDC employees who are no longer with us...the fact that they're letting 200K tiles go unsold just smacks of loss-cutting to me. I'd guess the tiles might be rearranged in their new location so the unsold tiles won't be a factor.

FWIW, I thought they looked as cool and futuristic looking as I'm guessing WDW wanted it to look, but they also looked kinda cold and unfestive. As someone else pointed out in a passed-along story, they did look like a monument. Granted they kinda are, but it looked like a mausoleum-monument, not a we-love-Epcot-and-want-to-be-a-part-of-it-forever monument. No offense to the tile lovers and/or tile owners but I'd much rather see something more festive, more-forward-thinking, instead of nostalgia-based (which would be apt for Future World, no?) as I head towards Epcot. But again, I hope WDW considers the feelings of the half-a-million-plus-give-or-take who did decide to leave their legacy, and hope they're placed somewhere that's not completely off the beaten path.

Baums101

May it rest in pieces.
view

WDWFigment

I think everyone drawing analogies between LaL sales and other things needs to remember that not every analogy is a valid one. Objective standards aren't the same across the board.

If this project were undertaken with the expectation that 750,000 sales would be the starting point, to be achieved in two years, with space for additional plots to be added (above 750,000) if demand exceeded expectations, I think it could be considered a failure. Something that fails to live up to expectations can be considered a failure.

If Star Tours or a movie no long packs them in after years in existence (or weeks in the latter's case), but packs them in during peak season (or during the beginning of its BO run), they are a success. Similarly, if the aforementioned two never fill up the theatre, they too can considered be failures.

If LaL was not expected to sell out in two years, or even ten, it's not a failure either. I just wanted to point out that sometimes analogies don't always fit, if you don't know the full story (or if the two things aren't really comparable).

jmvd20

I think all of the parks at WDW are a massive failure because they have never all reached capacity at the same time. Heck only once every few years does MK reach capacity, they should admit it is all a complete failure, close the doors, and tear the whole darn thing down.

What will happen if it comes down? I hope they offer those who paid to put it up a chance to have it shipped to their homes.. That'd be neat to have after it's all said and done.

Epcot82Guy

The tiles will be on display somewhere on Disney property until the contractal term expries (2020, I believe). I will almost guarantee you that simply because the legal and incidental costs otherwise would be huge (not to mention a huge pain).

The part that I Really don't like is that the tiles look aescethically like an afterthought to me. I think that is the only reason the physical presentation looks cheap. The forms are basically big slabs plastered up on curvilinear faces. The lines don't arch. The are basically posters. But, having said that, that is SOLELY an artistic problem (and, because of that, a relatively easy fix if/when they want to).

Imaginationeer

That means it made at least 27.5 million,if not more, is that considered a failure when it cost about at the most 4 or 5 Million to build, i think you should check you're facts again everyone!

bogdig

What will happen if it comes down? I hope they offer those who paid to put it up a chance to have it shipped to their homes.. That'd be neat to have after it's all said and done.

Even if they get rid of it all, I would love to get the tile back on maybe a plaque saying that from 2007 to ? it was on display at Epcot in front of SSE. I would hang it with pride in my home for all to see. And if I'd pass away maybe as a memorial to me to remind my family of my love of Disney.

This is kind of along my thoughts... My family has 3 tiles on those walls, and I think that if Disney was to send out mailers giving us the opportunity to purchase them in a nice frame, with a picture of the current entry area; they would receive a ton of people willing to purchase... They don't have to charge a boatload, but I would say $20 would be reasonable, and it would turn the negative of removing them into another positive for all of those families. I do believe that part of the process was providing a physical as well as email address, so I would think that attempting to contact people would be feasible.

As for the look of the plaza, I’m not a big fan. I do feel that there is probably a way to rearrange the display in a way that would not take away from the scale of SSE. Even if they could incorporate some grass and trees in to the area it would be a vast improvement (my personal feeling is that as hot as FL is, there is far too much concrete in that entry way. When my wife and I get to Epcot, we’ll find our pictures then we keep on moving because of the heat radiated off the concrete and reflected off the metal plates.)

Just my 2 cents…

polarboi

I don't have a LaL tile, but I can definitely sympathize with those of you who do and who have a sentimental attachment to it. I especially sympathize with those of you who bought tiles in honor of loved ones who are no longer with you; what a beautiful way to celebrate that person!

Unfortunately, while it's special to those of you with tiles, the look of the stones and the fact that many of them are dedicated to those who have passed on really does make them feel like a memorial to the dead, which isn't a cheerful way to enter a theme park about the possibilities of the future.

I really think the best solution is what others have suggested: move the structures elsewhere in the park so that the entrance can be greener and more cheerful (I really think Epcot could use a bit more greenery) and, if possible, redesign the stones to look more futuristic and less somber. Something clear, something colorful, whatever - just anything that doesn't look like "tombstones." They could be redesigned into something attractive, rearranging the tiles to use all available space, and turn a negative into something that really enhances Epcot for all visitors, not just those who purchased tiles.

-p.b. :cool:

STGRhost

Unfortunately, while it's special to those of you with tiles, the look of the stones and the fact that many of them are dedicated to those who have passed on really does make them feel like a memorial to the dead, which isn't a cheerful way to enter a theme park about the possibilities of the future.

I really think the best solution is what others have suggested: move the structures elsewhere in the park so that the entrance can be greener and more cheerful (I really think Epcot could use a bit more greenery) and, if possible, redesign the stones to look more futuristic and less somber. Something clear, something colorful, whatever - just anything that doesn't look like "tombstones." They could be redesigned into something attractive, rearranging the tiles to use all available space, and turn a negative into something that really enhances Epcot for all visitors, not just those who purchased tiles.

:sohappy: Very well said! I can understand having a sentimental attachment to the tiles (if I had one) but not the marble slabs. I wish WDCo. would consider a plan like you mentioned, which would hopefully pacify most of us...

It's also nice to see a smart, reasonable reply in the middle of this mess, rather than something like this:
I think all of the parks at WDW are a massive failure because they have never all reached capacity at the same time. Heck only once every few years does MK reach capacity, they should admit it is all a complete failure, close the doors, and tear the whole darn thing down.
...which beside being a poor analogy AND factually wrong, is just kinda silly....
(Unless, maybe, that was the idea? It's late and my sarcasm detector is on the fritz, so if that's the case then bravo!!)

scottnj1966

Came across this tidbit as a "tip" at disneyworld.com:

Okay.. now let's look at the press information from Legacy's closure...

750,000 - 550,000 = 200,000 unfilled tiles

That's ~26% of the original total. Nearly 8 years and the thing is under 3/4 of the way full.

They would of had to sell them for atleast 2 more years assuming the rate of sale was steady from start to finish. Far more likely then the needed ~256 sales a day, with how unbusy the kiosks had become, they were looking at several years, 4 or maybe 5.

What a complete and utter failure.

How in the world do you figure it was a failure? Do you realize how much money it made for them? How can you be so naive. Wow.
Do you realize if it was an avg of 20 bucks for everyone they would have made
11 million, even if it was just half that for profit they did damn good. that is alot of money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom