How Are the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness?

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
We are thinking of planning a trip in September 2014.
We are trying to get more information about the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness.
If you have stayed there, what is your opinion of the resort?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We loved our stay there, and will definitely return. You have your own little house with a full kitchen. Only drawback was that there is only one bathroom, but we made it work by splitting showers in the evening and morning. People complain that you have to take 2 buses to get anywhere, but we look at it as - we are on vacation, and I don't feel like driving. We get to meet new people, and relax to get everywhere. It's very relaxing after a day in the parks.

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
Sounds great!
We need more relaxing!
We always stay in a room with one bathroom anyway, so that won't be so bad.
We are also driving, so we will have our vehicle to get around.
I hope to hear more good things!

jlsHouston

I've never stayed at the cabins but we have gone to Mickeys Backyard BBQ, the Ft Wilderness Chip & Dale Campfire thing and also dined at Trail's end.
The resort is huge but that is because it is a campground and has the cabins. I think there are 2 large pools. My grandkids loved the grounds because it reminded them of camping and they have fond camping memories (in cabins at Garner State Park I don't really camp ).
I think if you are looking for a more laid back type of feeling (think wilderness) at your resort it is a great concept and themed. And they fit 6 people and you can cook. And there is alot going on at the resort for the kids to do. People rent these little golf carts to drive around. Looked like the pools were decent.

KatMaria

I love the the cabins. Its is really laid back, and huge area. You have a nice spacious cabin too, with a bunk bed and a regular bed. Then a murphy bed in the living room space. It comes with a full kitchen, so you can bring food and not really spend much eating out. Plus your not next to your neighbors, it really feels like your in the middle of nowhere but still at Disney. You do have to rent a golf cart if you want reliable transportation, the buses run around the area but having a golf cart is faster. Plus there is a lot to do, archery, canoeing, horseback riding. You can spend a day just doing the activities around the area. If you don't want to get a golf cart, then you can ask to be near a bus stop and just ride the buses around. The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is relaxing too. I love it because your away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the resorts at Disney. It is a lot of fun staying there. Trails End for dinner, amazing buffet. I sometimes stay at the cabins just to justify eating at Trails End haha

allidog1

My family loves staying at the cabins and it is always one of the first choices of hotels. The cabins have space for enough people to relax without being on top of each other. The kitchen has a nice set up (though we have never really used it) and the table is nice. It is a nice relaxing spot that gives you the Disney feel without all of the crowds. Exploring the grounds is also fun, and if you want to explore I suggest renting a golf cart, which is fun to drive around the area. Plus Trails End has the best breakfast buffet, that my family has to go to even if we don't stay at the cabins.

buseegal

one thing to remember, if you decide to take boat to MK you will have to use bus to boat area. as it is only golf cart parking no car parking. most of cabins are not in walking distance of boat dock. it can also be a hike to the main pool and again no car parking. that being said we love the campground

pcarathers

We are considering a stay there this November with the free dining. I like being able to park right at the cabin. We have stayed in the treehouses at SSR, and LOVED it too being able to park right at the villa. The ONLY drawback I saw with the cabins is no washer/dryer. That would be SO nice if they had them, but not a deal breaker. There will be 5 of us all total. My 73 y/o dad (who SECRETLY LOVES DISNEY)!, my sister and my 7y/o neice and 14 y/o nephew. I think they will LOVE the campfire song/movie nights and petting zoo. Hoping we can get a golf cart rented for that time frame we are looking at as that would be the deal breaker with my dad. he has to use a wheelchair for long distances (retired firefighter who fell thru 1 too many roofs!)..Glad to see so many people speak highly of it!

38053WDW

Enjoyed it there .. Quiet ... We were close enough to the main bus stop that we could walk from our cabin but we also had the "internal" bus stop to take us to the marina area for breakfast/dinner and boats to MK and Contemp ! Enjoyed the deer everyday too ..

pcarathers

we are torn between the cabins and OKW 1 bdrm villa. with the only issues being having to have a golf cart to get around and NO washer/dryer to having a villa with a washer/dryer. We had a 2bdrm at OKW last year and LOVED it, but like staying somewhere we have not stayed at before. so we are torn, money wise, the difference is only around $600.00 (cost of having to rent the golf cart and the price diff of the OKW villa vs. the cabin).

slappy magoo

If I were to stay in the cabins, it would be for a longer-than-usual vacation so we can really enjoy the amenities of FW. We'd definitely take the hitting-the-parks thing a skosch. I'd let the amount of time you have for your vacation factor in to whether or not you opt for cabins.

pcarathers

Booked our golf cart, so got that secured. Now we are set. We have allowed for 2 free days, 1 to do DTD and the other for the campground exploration! Kinda excited...this is MY idea of camping!!! lol....We were not going to do a trip this year until they announced the free dining, and then decided WHY NOT!!!
Being the middle of November, we're hoping for light weather and crowds, but the Festiveness of the season~!

DRC68

I stayed in the cabins back in Nov. '89. Rented a cart for the week (before they had the windshields). After 1 rather chilly ride back to camp, I decided to buy a roll of plastic wrap at the Trading Post to make a makeshift one myself to avoid freezing my hands to the steering wheel every night thereafter.

We stayed at the cabins for a week last year with 6 adults and one toddler. Plenty of space for everyone, but I second the issue with one bathroom. We drove so didn't have any issues with park transportation, and we loved to boat to the Magic Kingdom, even if it meant a very short wait and short bus ride to the boats. Having a car, we loved being parked right next to the cabin and being able to run to Publix for groceries - had to take advantage of that full kitchen! I might not spend the money with fewer people, or of you aren't planning on using the kitchen, but for us it was definitely better than getting two standard rooms.

pixiesteno

I have not stayed in the cabins but have stayed at FWC in our RV. You will love "the Fort" it is very relaxing. Each cabin has a deck and a small grill that you can use so pack the charcoal! All of the comfort stations around the campground have washers & dryers if you need them. Be sure to take an evening and go down to the beach & marina area and see the electric light pageant. You can also see a good part of the Wishes fireworks right from the beach and they are very pretty bursting over the lake. FWC can really be a vacation in and of itself. Be prepared to have a wonderful time! Staying at "the fort" has had a unique result for our family, we no longer want to stay at the other resorts! Enjoy your trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom