Housekeeping Tips

corey154

I do. I've tipped them at the end of a trip and also tried each day of the trip and this is what i've found. If you tip them $5-10 a day you have even better of a room when you get back from the parks. Other times I've tipped $20 for a three or four night stay at the end. I really have no idea how much is correct, all I know is I wouldn't want their job so I try to be fair. But the first time I tipped by the day I was so pleasantly suprised to come back to my room to find extra towels, extra towel characters, and even extra shampoo and soaps. I base my tip on how long the stay is for and what my budget will allow.

Upvote 0
I always leave at least a $5 each day - but usually some extra singles with it and a little note - nothing fancy but just a THANK YOU with it so they know that it is for them...otherwise they may not take it.

We leave another $5 for turndown.

I know many people don't tip and it's not required...but those ladies work HARD...I wouldn't want their job. Oh wait...I do have their job...I am a stay at home mom. :ROFLOL:

D

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with tipping housekeeping, but you certainly shouldn't feel obliged to. The amount of money you can spend on tipping during vacation is out of control. Tipping bag handlers, shuttle drivers, bell hops, housekeeping, waitstaff, bartenders....It's kind of crazy. We stay for 2 weeks in the summer, and I only leave about $30.

Last year, we figured we dropped about $800 on tips over 2 weeks. :shrug:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Depends. On the day of our arrival I always call mousekeeping and ask that our room be made up by noon each day. If that gets done, then I'll usually tip about $2-3/day. If they make towel animals or leave extra towels, etc then I'll bump it up to $5/day and I'll leave the total tip at the end. If the mousekeeper goes above and beyond I'll give her a $10 in person the next time I see her.

Upvote 0

chama1

Many years ago I never really got into how much I tip until I learned what these hardworking employees made for a living. I also learned what kind of condition some vacationers left their rooms after checking out...AAAGG. I tip $10.00-$20.00 per day and I've come back to find a "little" extra amenities, etc. Plus when traveling out of state these employee always point us in the right direction when it comes to dining, activities, nightlife, etc where the prices are right so you save in the long run and have a great time. That's a plus. :wave:

Upvote 0

Mystic

We tip $5 a day and we leave it on a daily basis. This ensures that the person who makes up your room that day is the person who gets the tip. If you wait to tip until the end there is no guarantee that the person who picks up the tip that day is the same person who has been cleaning your room all week. For example on our trip in Dec 2009, the mousekeeper who cleaned Monday - Friday was not the person who cleaned on Saturday and Sunday.

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

$2-5 tip per day seems adequate, even nice to me. How many rooms do the housekeepers clean per hour? If everyone tipped even $2 it seems as though they would make a good amount of money on top of their wages.

To the people who tip way more - you're amazing. :wave:

Upvote 0

durangojim

We actually book in such a way as to get "our" housekeeper :) She's been there ever since our honeymoon, years ago. We're now on a first name basis.

We always stay eight nights, twice per year. Every trip, I make sure she has a nice crisp $50 in a personally addresed envelope - complete with the dates we will be back :) You see, she's no longer a housekeeper - she's extened family :)

Please, if you don't tip? Start doing it. These are hardworking PEOPLE, not servants. They have children, bills, everything else. And even when life stinks, they make every effort to make OUR trips special.

I appreciate your sentiment, but if someone doesn't want to or can't leave a tip, its really not a big deal. Especially for what some of the rack rates are. I'd rather see people boycott Disney over low wages for the mousekeepers than feel like a tip was mandatory.

Upvote 0

Raven66

We actually book in such a way as to get "our" housekeeper :) She's been there ever since our honeymoon, years ago. We're now on a first name basis.

We always stay eight nights, twice per year. Every trip, I make sure she has a nice crisp $50 in a personally addresed envelope - complete with the dates we will be back :) You see, she's no longer a housekeeper - she's extened family :)

Please, if you don't tip? Start doing it. These are hardworking PEOPLE, not servants. They have children, bills, everything else. And even when life stinks, they make every effort to make OUR trips special.

That is a really nice story and a lovely way to think of your mousekeeper. :)

We tip 3 dollars a day. We leave it every day with a note thanking them for do such a wonderful job and for making our trip special. I make up our tip envelopes before we leave home. That way I make sure to have the money for tips and make sure to have plenty of singles.

It's not mandatory to leave a tip it's just the right thing to do to show your gratitude. I wouldn't tip for bad service but we have actually never had a bad mousekeeper and they show us how much they appreciate the tip by doing little extra things.

Upvote 0

braq

Hello,
The number one piece of advice I have is don't let it get away from you.Don't let the clutter begin and keeping it tidy is a snap.Put things back where they belong right away.
Toss out/shred junk paperwork as soon as it hits your hands.Straighten up your work area at the end of the day and when you come in the next morning you won't walk in to chaos.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hello,
The number one piece of advice I have is don't let it get away from you.Don't let the clutter begin and keeping it tidy is a snap.Put things back where they belong right away.
Toss out/shred junk paperwork as soon as it hits your hands.Straighten up your work area at the end of the day and when you come in the next morning you won't walk in to chaos.

:lol:

I also, at first, thought this was going to be a thread about tips for keeping your house clean.

Upvote 0
We go twice a year also, we always tip. I do something special I buy colorful envelopes and Disney stickers I place on each envelope for each day we stay and we put in money in each before we leave for the trip. Each day before we go out we leave our envelope there on the envelope we put in nice lettering "MOUSEKEEPING" I think they really appreciate this. Makes them feel like you put some thought into it too. :)
I love Disney and everyone there helps to make your stay comfortable. It wouldn't feel right if we didn't leave them something everyday.
:wave:

Upvote 0
I do the same thing (but no stickers. . .Good idea!). We leave $5 per day, and leave it each day so that if mousekeeping staff change, they all get something for their work.

Upvote 0

karenatwdw

I agree we always tip with a note thanking them and we sign our name. We come to a room that is great they do little special things and if you ask for anything special they are more than glad to do it. Also we have never had anything taken from a room that we leave a tip in they become very loyal very fast. That does not mean if you don't leave a tip they will steal but I just think anything that I can do is good and helps someone have a better day and a little extra money. I also tip everyday instead of at the end because it could be a housekeeper that cleaned your room once at the beginning or end to gets all the money.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom