Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

Hawg G

A number of years ago, there was an incentive for guests - don’t want your room cleaned ? Get rewarded with merchandise credits? To spend on gifts . Probably work with less staffing if fellow guests take the money and refuse cleaning service.

Exactly, I rarely want service even in a week. I don’t change my sheets at home every few days, to say the least. I need towel exchange, and maybe more toiletries. If housekeeping is so overworked, isn't that a huge help for the hotel, and a tip to the housekeeping?

kalel8145

In all my years on this planet, I've found it quite obvious early risers believe the world should revolve around them. If they are up at 8, you should be too. And you better be quiet late at night, you know, like 9 pm.
Have you been talking to my wife?:cautious:

Lilofan

Come on. You know the answer to that. They are doing less work with even less employees. For a while I believed it was staffing shortages now I believe it’s Disney using the pandemic as cover to reset expectations.

The fault rests squarely on Disney management. If it is a staffing issue then they shouldn’t have opened as many rooms as they did. It is all within their control.

They are trying to slide into a new normal with lower expectations and higher profit margins.
Achieving higher profit margins in creative ways especially short term, to impress Wall Street is nothing new. If one wants to know who are overworked ( but well compensated ) are some on Wall Street ( Goldman, JP Morgan etc ) who work 9am-12am 6 days a week. Food is brought in at times to feed the workaholics so no need to leave the office. At times 100 hour work weeks happen when deadlines have to be met. It is not for the weary.

Last edited:

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
They got me again yesterday. I was at the Boardwalk and the knocking began at 9:17am. I was there with my son and his friend who had just graduated college and had been drinking around the world the night before. I was awake but did not answer the door because I wanted to see what the knocker would do. She unlocked the door, saw us and shut it as fast as she could. Luckily the boys, bless their hearts, slept on.

It is a very rude practice. Disney simply does not respect their guests the way they once did.

As for houskeepers being over worked. Ha. They don’t do daily cleanings anymore. They may be short staffed, but they have adjusted by cutting way back on service.

Chi84

Premium Member
They got me again yesterday. I was at the Boardwalk and the knocking began at 9:17am. I was there with my son and his friend who had just graduated college and had been drinking around the world the night before. I was awake but did not answer the door because I wanted to see what the knocker would do. She unlocked the door, saw us and shut it as fast as she could. Luckily the boys, bless their hearts, slept on.

It is a very rude practice. Disney simply does not respect their guests the way they once did.

As for houskeepers being over worked. Ha. They don’t do daily cleanings anymore. They may be short staffed, but they have adjusted by cutting way back on service.
If they knocked and you didn’t answer they thought no one was inside. Of course they unlocked the door. What did you expect them to do?

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
It is a very rude practice.
So they knocked, gave you a chance to let them know the room was occupied, and you still chose to do nothing? Their job is to knock before entering any room, occupied or not. You didn't answer, so they rightly assumed the room was empty.

Hawg G

So they knocked, gave you a chance to let them know the room was occupied, and you still chose to do nothing? Their job is to knock before entering any room, occupied or not. You didn't answer, so they rightly assumed the room was empty.
No, at 8 am they should assume you are sleeping. Especially if the manual deadbolt is in place.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
No, at 8 am they should assume you are sleeping. Especially if the manual deadbolt is in place.
If housekeepers assume everyone was still sleeping at 8:00 am, rooms would never get clean. The post I quoted said they knocked at 9:17 am, that's plenty late in the morning. The majority of people are up and heading to the parks by 8:30-9. It's not a major inconvenience to tell housekeepers to come back later.

Hawg G

If housekeepers assume everyone was still sleeping at 8:00 am, rooms would never get clean. The post I quoted said they knocked at 9:17 am, that's plenty late in the morning. The majority of people are up and heading to the parks by 8:30-9. It's not a major inconvenience to tell housekeepers to come back later.

Yes, getting woken up is no major inconvenience. By then, they should notice plenty of folks leaving, having a good list from bell services, and from folks that do actually check out.

Again, 0% of people with the manual deadbolt with only a latch inside, have checked out.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Do you not use the attached door lock? Doesn't matter if they open the door, they can't get in, and would see right away that someone is obviously in the room.
1652280480815.png

Ayla

On one of our days housekeeping brought towels and took out the garbage at OKW, our Room Occupied sign was on the door because some of our party was still in the condo. Housekeeping wouldn't even knock on the door with the sign out, they called to see if we wanted fresh towels and garbage/recycling removed.

I wonder why such a wide discrepancy?

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
If they knocked and you didn’t answer they thought no one was inside. Of course they unlocked the door. What did you expect them to do?
Not knock at 9:17 when check out is 11:00!
Yep. Boy was she shocked😂

Do you not use the attached door lock? Doesn't matter if they open the door, they can't get in, and would see right away that someone is obviously in the room.
View attachment 637992
The boys were the last ones to bed so I will assume no.

It amazes me how many people are so willing to take Disney’s side. I worked for a large hotel chain for many years, this practice is not ok. If they want to know when we are checking out, make us check out. Right now they send a notification that says there is no need to stop by the front desk. Ask us our approximate check out time while we are checking in. There are many better solutions than waking people on their last morning. (And for those of you who think someone else SHOULD be up at a certain time shame on you.)

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
this practice is not ok.
This happens at every hotel I've ever stayed at and it's never been an issue. We are travelers who stay in our room right up until our check-out time. If they come by and knock at 10:15, we open the door, tell them we're still here and go about our merry way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lilofan

Except it is, you're just being ornery for no reason. This happens at every hotel I've ever stayed at and it's never been an issue. We are travelers who stay in our room right up until our check-out time. If they come by and knock at 10:15, we open the door, tell them we're still here and go about our merry way. People like you are the reason society is going down the drain fast, you don't deserve the guest service you think you do with this vile attitude.
I’d put the do not disturb sign then pull it when we depart.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not knock at 9:17 when check out is 11:00!

Yep. Boy was she shocked😂

The boys were the last ones to bed so I will assume no.

It amazes me how many people are so willing to take Disney’s side. I worked for a large hotel chain for many years, this practice is not ok. If they want to know when we are checking out, make us check out. Right now they send a notification that says there is no need to stop by the front desk. Ask us our approximate check out time while we are checking in. There are many better solutions than waking people on their last morning. (And for those of you who think someone else SHOULD be up at a certain time shame on you.)
Oh, I'm not taking Disney's side on this at all. I was merely asking if that lock was set, so they couldn't just waltz into the room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom