House of the Future II (III ?)

cpeterstx

I like that they are reviving traditional ideas but putting a modern spin on them. Celebrate the heritage but acknowledge the present and future. I like it. Epcot is a perfect home for this on the East Coast. Thanks for sharing this story.

bennyw01

because orlando had xanadu house of the future on 192, im sure it only got demolished a year or two ago. sad thing about it, it was popular for a little while, then it was just abandoned up for sale for years as it went from house of the future, to house of the present and eventually house of the past. :p

its hard with competition like epcot around

sweetpee_1993

Did it ever specifically state where the house would be built, by this I mean Disneyworld or Disneyland?

The article starts out "Anaheim" and a few words later it says "Disneyland". So, yep, it's going to California's Disneyland. I'd like to see it. I don't like that the house will look traditional from the exterior. I loooove cutting edge, contemporary architecture particularly when alternative materials are used. It's so much more creative. As cool as the house sounds, it seems like they could've incorporated more technology in the construction itself to show alternatives for the future. It's still cool, though, that they are even doing another home of the future. I like the throw-back to the past. :)

jasondiff

In the kitchen, for example, touchpad software on the countertop would be able to identify groceries and produce recipes and meal suggestions.

Who goes into the grocery store, grabs a bunch of random stuff, then comes home and has to figure out a recipe to make with all the random stuff? Don't people usually buy groceries with meal ideas already in mind?

WDWFREAK53

Who goes into the grocery store, grabs a bunch of random stuff, then comes home and has to figure out a recipe to make with all the random stuff? Don't people usually buy groceries with meal ideas already in mind?

I think, what it means is that...

Say you have cinnamon...and you put it on the counter. It will give you a plethora of recipes that will use cinnamon. Then you put another on the counter and it will narrow it down...

Some people, by the end of the week, are wondering what to eat...and they've already made the meals they had in mind when they bought the ingredients...now they have a bunch of ingredients but don't want to eat the same meal...so this will give them suggestions.

CrashNet

The House of Innoventions in Epcot strives to keep up with near-future products. Half of it was recently renovated and updated. The other half will be updated in the next year or so.

rodfarrell00

House of Innoventions

I just saw the House of Innoventions at EPCOT a few weeks back. It was pretty cool....made me think of the House of the Future.

Slowjack

I think the concept art looks cool, but it seems like every article on a new Disney attraction includes some quote that makes me wonder if Disney understands what made their parks popular in the first place. In this case:
"The 1950s home didn't look like anything, anywhere. It was space-age and kind of cold," she said.
Well of course it didn't look like anything, anywhere! That's why people wanted to look at it, because it wasn't something they could see back at home. And it didn't look "kind of cold" to people when it opened, it looked kind of cool!

(To be fair, that quote isn't from a Disney employee. But still.)

But then this is fitting into the Innoventions concept. It's not supposed to be a house that looks like it came fro the future, it's a house of today that includes some technology you can't afford yet.

primetime52

because orlando had xanadu house of the future on 192, im sure it only got demolished a year or two ago. sad thing about it, it was popular for a little while, then it was just abandoned up for sale for years as it went from house of the future, to house of the present and eventually house of the past. :p

its hard with competition like epcot around

It's been years since I drove past that xanadu house, but I remember it looking exactly like Luke Skywalker's house on Tatooine! :lol:

Disney should have bought the Xanadu house and moved it right next to Star Tours.

Joepic

It's not in Epcot because all of Disney and Monsanto projects have always been housed in Tomorrowland.

They were first to appear in Disneyland - which didn't have an Epcot.

I do see your side of the argument, but I feel it would be better placed in TL

Disneykidder

Sounds awesome!! I can't wait to see it. I'd love the countertops/kitchen!! And yeah, it is soooo Disney!! Would be great in Epcot!!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom