Hospitality?

PrincessTink

Original Poster
Is anyone here majoring in hospitality and hoping to have a full time career at WDW? I'm almost a senior in high school and plan on doing the careerstart program, college program (maybe twice) and a professional internship. I know what you are thinking, shes only in high school and already knows what she wants to do, she'll probably change her mind. But honestly theres nothing else I would even consider to be something I would want to do. Back to my question, is there anyway I could get a hold of over the phone to some managment people at WDW? I know once I go into the Careerstart there's a lot of networking I could do, but I'm so anxious I just want to get some info now! Thanks you guys are great, I read this board all the time!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I have a tourism degree, and as bad as it sounds, don't let it go to waste at Disney :) Get a job with another company, get an advanced degree, develop your resume, and THEN go to Disney in a position that you want, not what Disney wants for you :)

joanna71985

I am a Recreation and Tourism major. I have done the CP twice. In fact, I want to work FT at Disney. But not in my major, believe it or not.:lol:

wedway71

I have a tourism degree, and as bad as it sounds, don't let it go to waste at Disney :) Get a job with another company, get an advanced degree, develop your resume, and THEN go to Disney in a position that you want, not what Disney wants for you :)

I agree 100%. Use your Degree to get a Management job with a hotel,Restaraunt,Cruise Line,etc.Work there for a couple of years maybe work on advanced degree THEN go to WDW.

Doing that will give you more bargaining power rather then a newbie right out of college.I do know people with Degrees in Hospitality that actually learned more working hands on in their Mgt jobs than they did in School so work experience will be a great tool to have when you are ready to go to WDW.

Good Luck.... and I hope now one day when I want my huge upgrade on my room at WDW I can look you up.:sohappy:

mkt

Premium Member
Yes! Don't be Disney's beeatch! Make Disney your beeatch! :lol:

SFOG

Many of these comments are true. However, working at Disney in something like an Internship will help you with future roles with other organizations as well.

Look at the Rosen College at the University of Central Florida. They have an amazing Hospitality Program--one of the best in the country. Many schools have good hospitality programs, but I would recommend going to UCF since it's in a really big tourist city.

I hear that the University of Nevada-Las Vegas also has a really good program as well. Again, that's a good place to go to school because of all of the hotels and attractions in the Las Vegas area.

I would go to UCF if you are interested in Disney. UNLV might be a little better for hotel operations, but it's probably a toss-up. The same goes for Convention Management: both Orlando and Las Vegas are constantly competing to be the biggest convention towns in the US.

jiminy.cricket

What about internships? Would it still be a good idea to apply to a Disney internship? And then work at a different company for a while? I also want to live and work or teach English in a foreign country and/or join the Peace Corps or Teach for America and try so many different things, but am wondering if maybe it is better to get to work right away because life is so short and I don't want to go broke!

mkt

Premium Member
don't forget Cornell and Johnson & Wales Charleston for Hospitality Programs as well :)

SFOG

What about internships? Would it still be a good idea to apply to a Disney internship? And then work at a different company for a while? I also want to live and work or teach English in a foreign country and/or join the Peace Corps or Teach for America and try so many different things, but am wondering if maybe it is better to get to work right away because life is so short and I don't want to go broke!

What you do is up to you. An Internship at Disney certainly looks good for future job interviews. But, it's up to you to make sure you make the most of your experience by networking as much as possible.

DisneyJMU86

Hey all! I am a hospitality and tourism management major at JMU and I agree with everyone. I plan on doing the college program this up-coming spring of my junior year and possibly a professional internship with disney before i graduate. I am starting to make solid contacts through school and would like to know if anyone has ventured out to Vegas in the beginning of their career. I will eventually want to get my Masters and possibly head back to Disney, but any suggestions with a good place to begin work right after graduation?

mkt

Premium Member
A good friend of mine just made the move from WDW to Vegas actually... not for the fun, but for the fact that he's making 3X as much in Vegas :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom