Horse gets tangled with Balloon

WDW Pro

100 percent props to all CMs, the handlers did a good job trying to calm a panicked animal which is one of the most unpredictable things you could have to deal with. Merida did the very smart thing to do and quickly got out of the path of the horse. This just seemed like one complete freak accident.

Chances of a balloon wrapping around a horse's leg is so small you couldn't even come with that scenario until it occurs. Cast did a perfect job and the horse is extremely well trained.

TrainsOfDisney

It seems like too much of a workload, especially for one horse.

662564-1526317382-wide.jpg

The only time the horse is really working much is starting the streetcar. At Disneyland, where they actually run the cars on a regular basis, they recently relaid the tracks so the cars roll along very easy and they also put in brick so the horses weren’t walking on pavement all day.

Those are huge horses that were bred to plow fields, pulling a streetcar is literally a walk in the park.

Mickey Pride

This could have been a much worse scene if not for the two handlers of the horse and the Cast Member who must have been the horses trainer coming out the calm the horse quickly. They quickly got Merida to safety and calmed the horse. I am glad that no one got injured and the horse did not get hurt as well.

JIMINYCR

Being knowledgable, comfortable and proficient working around horses a lot in my past and having been stepped on and kicked a few times... I know what could have happened. Those handlers were fortunate not to be kicked or stomped on by those panicked, spinning hoofs. CM's toes, feet could have been broken severely. Good there were several handlers able to help one another bring the horse to a stop.

WDW Pro

Being knowledgable, comfortable and proficient working around horses a lot in my past and having been stepped on and kicked a few times... I know what could have happened. Those handlers were fortunate not to be kicked or stomped on by those panicked, spinning hoofs. CM's toes, feet could have been broken severely. Good there were several handlers able to help one another bring the horse to a stop.

And don't forget that's a magnificently trained horse. The fact that it ceased bucking despite something being around its legs (instinctual response) is just flat out impressive.

JIMINYCR

And don't forget that's a magnificently trained horse. The fact that it ceased bucking despite something being around its legs (instinctual response) is just flat out impressive.
Yes... Early in my career I was told by my mentors to always respect and be aware in all situations. No matter how well trained any animal is or how long its been working... Its still an animal with animal instincts and reactions and anything can happen for a situation to go bad. The handlers who get hurt are the ones who relax their attention, forget what they are working with, how dangerous they can be and get complacent to the point of being stupid.

WDW Pro

Yes... Early in my career I was told by my mentors to always respect and be aware in all situations. No matter how well trained any animal is or how long its been working... Its still an animal with animal instincts and reactions and anything can happen for a situation to go bad. The handlers who get hurt are the ones who relax their attention, forget what they are working with, how dangerous they can be and get complacent to the point of being stupid.

You're exactly right. To that horse, bucking when something wraps its legs is as involuntary as blinking if something gets in your eye.

Monorail_Orange

Let me add to this, the fact that the handlers were able to get the horse to stop bucking so quickly also speaks volumes as to how much trust and what a good relationship exists between that horse and those humans.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I saw this in another thread but it truly deserves it’s own discussion. Kudos to the woman riding the horse. I would have messed my pants and been screaming like a little girl if that was me ;). She got the horse under control and then got the heck out of the way. I do feel slightly bad for the horse and the kid that lost their balloon but all’s well that ends well. I hope they got the kid a replacement and tied it to his wrist this time :)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, I can imagine that the horse probably thought whatever was wrapping about his hind leg was likely a snake, or something equally dangerous. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Monorail_Red_77

It was the momentum of force throwing the balloon weight that essentially threw the balloon at the horse’s legs. It was an accident.
Also, looks like thankfully the plastic weight gets ripped off towards the end which helped the horse calm down. I think between the balloon being tied on the leg plus all the rattling of the weight helped scare the horse. Great job all around, except the kid.

Firepath

I am curious about what kind/how much training the CM's have. They definitely kept cool and hung on. I am sure the horse was adequately trained. Just couldn't get the balloon off his foot. I would have like to see how the rest played out. Kudos to CM's
I'm sure they are trained to protect guests at all costs. My first thought was they were not very experienced horse people. No amount of physical strength can contain an out of control horse. Until the leader showed up and put her hand on the horse's neck to calm it, it appears that is what they were trying to do. I would give kudos to her as she did exactly the right thing.

JoeCamel

I'm sure they are trained to protect guests at all costs. My first thought was they were not very experienced horse people. No amount of physical strength can contain an out of control horse. Until the leader showed up and put her hand on the horse's neck to calm it, it appears that is what they were trying to do. I would give kudos to her as she did exactly the right thing.
They kept the horse in the street and turning in circles until help came out then all calmed the horse. Perfect for the horse, the crowd and the cast.

Samthedog

Gotta clarify a bit what happened here, as those that were there have said more about what happened on Twitter that isn’t seen in the video.

The toddler/small child with the balloon started rushing towards the horse, Merida and handler CMs while their parents weren’t fully paying attention. The dad was able to just catch his child with a fast grab, but in doing so, the child lost hold of their balloon, with the momentum flying it towards the horse’s legs. The handlers walked the horse offstage with the balloon still tied around their legs. Haven’t been able to confirm how the horse is doing.

This could have been very bad for all involved. As it is, horses have a rough time walking on pavement and are more prone to slipping as traction is harder. The pavement is already bad on their legs from the shock of striking their hooves down from their immense weight. If the horse had slipped...

Merida was right to get out of the way as promptly as she could. It’s not a laughing matter.

It was a freak accident, but could very easily happen again. Guests are an unpredictable variable - small children even more so. Perhaps Disney could have more CMs walking between the cavalcade and guests, but that wouldn’t exactly work with social distancing.

People are now calling for the ending of using horses in live entertainment in the parks like this, others are saying that Disney should stop selling balloons, or even both. In any case, this was an awful incident coming at a time when the public is already critical of the parks re-opening. Something is going to have to change to make sure that this never happens again.
No parents need to pay attention to there kids. Bottom line

Whippet Mom

I applaud Merida. She looks like she knew how to ride that thing. She was definitely BRAVE.
Yes, she knew how to ride, There is no way they would put someone who had no horse experience on any horse that was going to be out in public & his handlers were great.. They got him to calm down, got the stupid balloon off him & he continued with the parade.. Bravo to them all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom