Horizons for sale.....$350,000

Al

Original Poster
check out.....

http://www.irmpri.com/current.htm

it is a current used ride list of the rides that this company is selling. If you look down a bit....

"EPCOT DARK RIDE - 175 cars PARK EX USA US$ 350,000 "

wow!!!!!!!!!!! could this be horizons? I think it is probably just the ride system....but....wow!!! :)

bearboysnc

Originally posted by Alberrisford
wow!!!!!!!!!!! could this be horizons? I think it is probably just the ride system....but....wow!!! :)

It has to be, the Living Seas didn't have that many vehicles did it?

guwag

Originally posted by mrtoadRIP
it cant be living seas b/c it says 1981...living seas didnt open until after

You're right - it can't be The Living Seas because that didn't open till 1986.

I'm sure that I remember reading somewhere that Horizons started in 1981 with ground preparations but that actual construction began in 1982. Hmmmm, I wonder if it is Horizons and why it seems relatively cheap for such a ride?

patsfan5252

Confirmed

I called the number on the web site and posed as a buyer, sure enough you too can own the Horizons ride system, I think I have room in my basement!

Lord Alfred

One of the great things about Horizons was its innovative, horizontally moving vehicles. As far as I know this was the only ride system of its kind. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. Did Disney design the whole thing or did they buy this off of some other company.

bearboysnc

Originally posted by Lord Alfred
One of the great things about Horizons was its innovative, horizontally moving vehicles. As far as I know this was the only ride system of its kind.

Don't most ride systems move horizontally?

Lord Alfred

Originally posted by bearboysnc

Don't most ride systems move horizontally?

:lol: I guess I should have made myself more clear. It's one of the only ride systems where the passenger constantly moves in a direction that is perpendicular to their viewpoint. The rider sits on an enclosed bench that forces their perspective forward.

Imagine a three dimensional grid with the ride vehicle's "bench" sitting along the X-axis and it's back rest going up the Y-axis. Most ride vehicles then move the vehicle forward along the Z-axis, in the same direction as the rider's point-of-view.

Not so with Horizons! The vehicles move "horizontally" from the rider's left side to his right, perpendicular to his POV. The ride was also designed so that the vehicles could move up and down along the Y-axis as well for changing floors and viewpoints.

Or, you could say it is "like a bench that slides sideways through the ride"

Monorail Lime

A while ago someone posted a picture of a flatbed truck carrying the Horizons ride vehicles. It's nice to finally know the truck wasn't headed for the junkyard!

Invero

I checked with my friend who is somewhat of an expert in ride vehicle systems and whatnot... he told me that this would not be Horizons, but rather World of Motion.

guwag

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
I checked with my friend who is somewhat of an expert in ride vehicle systems and whatnot... he told me that this would not be Horizons, but rather World of Motion.

World of Motion construction was started in 1981 - the same date as on the ride for sale page - whereas Horizons was 1982, slight confusion with dates on my part, Whoops! :)

P.S. Think your avatar is great Fantasia Boi!

Horizons1

I dont really believe that WOM was dark ride although i could be wrong.I think its from either JII,the old SE,or Horizons.

Katherine

I would have to agree it sounds more like WOM to me. I would think that would be so cool to have a ride, exscuse me a DISNEY ride in my basement! that would be awesome!

I love your avator Fantasia boi!:kiss:

Ciar_j

You know that these vehicles can be from Horizons because the Epcot Discovery Center reports that Horizons did have 174 vehicles. World of Motion had 141 and JII had 92 (which are actually are still in operation).

Check for yourself:

http://www.intercot.com/edc/Horizons/hfacts.html

Attachments

• flat bed 1.jpg
    flat bed 1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 352

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Lord Alfred

:lol: I guess I should have made myself more clear. It's one of the only ride systems where the passenger constantly moves in a direction that is perpendicular to their viewpoint. The rider sits on an enclosed bench that forces their perspective forward.

Imagine a three dimensional grid with the ride vehicle's "bench" sitting along the X-axis and it's back rest going up the Y-axis. Most ride vehicles then move the vehicle forward along the Z-axis, in the same direction as the rider's point-of-view.

Not so with Horizons! The vehicles move "horizontally" from the rider's left side to his right, perpendicular to his POV. The ride was also designed so that the vehicles could move up and down along the Y-axis as well for changing floors and viewpoints.

Or, you could say it is "like a bench that slides sideways through the ride"

Actually that is part of the concept of the omni mover vehicles in the Haunted Mansion. They move left and right to focus your attention directly to a certain scene, and it moves sideways in various parts of the ride (the beginning, the ballroom)

cymbaldiva

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is it Disney that is selling off the ride components, or did the dealers procure them elsewhere and are re-selling them? :confused:

I really don't know - if someone else does, please answer! :)

jmarc63

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is it Disney that is selling off the ride components, or did the dealers procure them elsewhere and are re-selling them? :confused:

I really don't know - if someone else does, please answer! :)

I think that in recent years Disney subcontracts with manufactures to either build from WDI design specifacations or creates desings and manufactures Ride systems based on specfic criteria for a specific attraction. Some of the ride vehicles could be modified stock equiptment but some seem unlickly. I don't think Disney Builds from scratch like they did with DL and Phase one of WDW

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom