Home on the Range pre-parade coming to MK

CTXRover

The style of animation is a decision made by animators to fulfill their particular goal. For Atlantis, they went with a more comic book style, for Home on the Range, they went with a traditional animation style, both to show the real beauty of 2-D and because they felt this particular style best suited the movie's look and theme of a western. Much like Lilo and Stitch went back to watercolor backgrounds since they felt it was the best format to display the rich landscape of Hawaii. In the case of Home on the Range, the look was NOT done solely for costs, it was done more for "artistic expression". Whether or not audiences will be receptive to that will be seen shortly. Personally, I'm thrilled to hear they concentrated more on the story with two simple goals: it would be a western and it had to be funny, rather than concentrating on extragavant animation styles. Look at Treasure Planet...arguably the most beautiful (2-D) animated film of all time in terms of animation look and style...yet the story wasn't quite there and it flopped big time. Look at Lilo and Stitch...a film that went back to a more basic animation style, but it had an engaging and funny story which helped propel it to a box office hit...Here's hoping Home on the Range can do the same :)

As for the mini-parade. Good to hear. Obviously those floats have been used before...but it really would be silly to build new floats for a month "pre-parade" when those floats actually will go quite nicely with the Home on the Range movie.

CTXRover

Originally posted by bdhowell
But do the characters sing? Or is it like a Tarzan/Brother Bear?

A little of both. There are some songs that are actually sung by the characters...one by Alameda Slim...the villian in the movie, and I think one other by some of the animals...not 100% sure on the latter. There also some songs that are sung like those in Tarzan/BB as background vocals...one I think is sung by Tim Mcgraw.

The music was written by Alan Menken, who did the music for The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, so here's hoping they are as catchy as some of the tunes in those. The official HOTR site has samples of some of the songs to listen to. Although I can't really judge them until I can hear the entire song, from those samples I can say some sound pretty good...others seem just ok.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by CTXRover
Look at Treasure Planet...arguably the most beautiful (2-D) animated film of all time in terms of animation look and style...yet the story wasn't there and it flopped big time. Look at Lilo and Stitch...a film that went back to a more basic animation style, but it had an engaging and funny story which helped propel it to a box office hit...Here's hoping Home on the Range can do the same :)

I disagree. I think Treasure Planet suffered from the same problem that afflicted The Emperor's New Groove: bad marketing. NONE of its trailers accurately depicted the movie's plot. Treasure Planet is indeed a very good movie on all accounts. I still think it'll become a cult classic, much like Tron or Fantasia, for instance.
As for Atlantis, yeah, they had story problems. If the movie had an extra 20 minutes or so, it'd have been SO much better. That's all they needed for character development.
And I was very happy when I heard HotR was using watercolor backgrounds. Hopefully the audience will respond to the most traditional of traditional animation. :)

iluvstitch

I actually like the traditional animation better than the computer animation. I think the storyline and development of the characters is more important than the $$ spent on the animation. I'm looking forward to HOTR, there's preview for it on a Disney DVD I bought recently, but I can't remember which one... -Stephanie

JLW11Hi

Please don't assume that just because the character animation in a movie is more styalized it is because they are being "cheap". Personally, character desings such as those I have so far seen from Home on the Range are the most fun to watch.

It is cool to see how far some animation can go to depict realism and stuff, but if you are trying to make something look that realistic, why not just film it in live action instead?

Personally, I think the designs for Home on the Range are a much needed break from all the tremendously realistic or "ground-breaking" animation that the animation studios seem to try to do with every movie they make nowadays. That's why I loved Emporer's New Groove so much!

Here's hoping the best for Home on the Range, as it will be one of the last traditinoally animated movies we will see come out of Disney for quite a while, if ever again.....

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Personally, I think the designs for Home on the Range are a much needed break from all the tremendously realistic or "ground-breaking" animation that the animation studios seem to try to do with every movie they make nowadays. That's why I loved Emporer's New Groove so much!

Exactly...It's a breath of fresh air. Animation like HOMTR makes it look like it has no boundrys, everything is right there, big and bold. I think that's why I like it so much. As for the movie, I'm telling you right now, I predict this will be a GIANT movie. It's marketed great. The same friends I have talked to that said they'd wait til Brother Bear "came out on dvd, cause it looked boring to sit in the theater and watch" REALLY want to see this one. I can't wait for this either

Bill

Account Suspended
Notice something else that Disney movies have been lacking recently? A Villain. There finally is one that we're gonna love to hate.:D

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Bill
Notice something else that Disney movies have been lacking recently? A Villain. There finally is one that we're gonna love to hate.:D

I don't think Disney has EVER produced a villain as complex as Long John Silver.

But you're right, it's been a while since we've had lots of great villains like Cruella or Hook.

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by MKCustodial
I don't think Disney has EVER produced a villain as complex as Long John Silver.

But you're right, it's been a while since we've had lots of great villains like Cruella or Hook.

And Scar...Scar is the best...He killed his brother, tried to kill his nephew, and took over a whole kingdom. Thats a villian.

PixyDust

I think Disney could have made a better choice in one of the cow voices than Roseanne. I don't like the thoughts of ANY of my hard earned money going to even buy that woman a slice of bread.

WDWFREAK53

I disagree. I think Treasure Planet suffered from the same problem that afflicted The Emperor's New Groove: bad marketing. NONE of its trailers accurately depicted the movie's plot. Treasure Planet is indeed a very good movie on all accounts. I still think it'll become a cult classic, much like Tron or Fantasia, for instance.

I couldn't agree with your disagreement anymore :D

Treasure Planet is one of my personal favorite Disney movies. Silver is one of the best characters/villains (IMO) to ever appear in a Disney animated feature. A lot of kids go through what Jim went through...a misunderstood kid that wanted to get out of the rut he was in and prove to the world that he was more than what everybody else saw him as. B.E.N. was a riot...Morph was the cute little guy that didn't talk much but when he did, you just have to laugh. The action was there, the sympathy for characters was there (including the VILLAIN!), and the comedic value was there...just not overly done. Granted, the movie lacked the songs...if Jim had actually SUNG the "I'm Still Here" and maybe a song by Silver, then it would've had it all...(oh...a touch of a love story would've helped it a bit too)

Mad Stitch

I think Disney could have made a better choice in one of the cow voices than Roseanne. I don't like the thoughts of ANY of my hard earned money going to even buy that woman a slice of bread.

:lol: I totally agree!

BigNorm

As for Atlantis, yeah, they had story problems. If the movie had an extra 20 minutes or so, it'd have been SO much better. That's all they needed for character development.
And I was very happy when I heard HotR was using watercolor backgrounds. Hopefully the audience will respond to the most traditional of traditional animation. :)

YES! YES! I loved Treasure Planet. I think it's the best animated movie Disney has released in the last five years. Love it.

imagineersrock

Originally posted by mkepcotmgmak
i thought so too, which would be great to me. Emeror's New Groove is one of my favorites!

emperors new groove is comic genius at its best.. the film was awesome, and it's so depressing knowing how huge of a hit it could have been had it only been properly marketed:

many people have never seen, or even heard of ENG, however, i am yet to find one person who has seen it say they disliked it. It's an instant hit with anyone -proving how great of a film this was.

i hope HOTR turns out the same, with the exception being that this time, disney properly markets the film.

bartman454

I have seen the previews for HOTR and i have to say that im praying its just a bad trailer to a great movie because if its not then i am very doubtful that this picture will be a success.

Pixie Duster

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Judging from that concept art in the start of the thread, all they are doing is reusing two of the floats from Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween parade.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
that's almost all they ever do... lol. Reuse existing floats... they just retheme them for what its being used for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom