Holy Cow room prices have increased for 2011!

durangojim

Looking at the same last two weeks in April 2011 as 2010 at the GF with a MK view room, the price increased from $595 (which was considered regular season) to $750 a night, indicating that all of April is now considered Easter or peak season. The price goes down in May to $610. I'm sure this is due in part to the fact that Easter is late, but to have the whole month increased in price is really something.

tampabrad

Can someone please justify $750 a night. I have stayed at the GF and many luxury resorts around the world and I can not see why the GF is $750 a night. The rooms are not worth it, the beds (even eith the new ones) are not worth it, the ammenities are not worth it and the service is far from worth it.

Upvote 0

Stevek

Can someone please justify $750 a night. I have stayed at the GF and many luxury resorts around the world and I can not see why the GF is $750 a night. The rooms are not worth it, the beds (even eith the new ones) are not worth it, the ammenities are not worth it and the service is far from worth it.

Heck, I'd have a real hard time justifying $595 a night per the OP. We've only been to WDW once and stayed at AKL where our room was less than $200 a night. Realized after that the room, while having a fantastic view of the Savannah, wasn't that important. Hence, we've dropped down to a value resort for our trip in November/December.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
We've stayed in deluxes 95% of the time and have only paid track rates 1 time out of the past 20 times we've been there. There's no way I'd pay track for any deluxe room. Really stinks about the beach club adding new categories per another thread.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Well of course the rack rates have to be obscenely high. That way Disney gets what they really want for the rooms after they "discount" them. Take 40% off those "rack" rates. That's what the price they need is. The folks who are willing to pay the insane rack rate are lagniappe. That's just my take on it. It's Disney jacking up a price so they can discount it. That way they hit their bottom line & guests think they're getting a good buy.

Upvote 0

smk

Well of course the rack rates have to be obscenely high. That way Disney gets what they really want for the rooms after they "discount" them. Take 40% off those "rack" rates. That's what the price they need is. The folks who are willing to pay the insane rack rate are lagniappe. That's just my take on it. It's Disney jacking up a price so they can discount it. That way they hit their bottom line & guests think they're getting a good buy.
I have no idea what this means? :lookaroun :eek: I don't know that I have ever seen this word. Please help!

Upvote 0

smk

lagniappe= something extra? I looked it up and it means something extra thrown in when making a purchase, like the 13th bagel when buying a dozen. Right?

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I have no idea what this means? :lookaroun :eek: I don't know that I have ever seen this word. Please help!

Sorry. :D Here ya go.

n. Chiefly Southern Louisiana & Mississippi
  • A small gift presented by a storeowner to a customer with the customer's purchase.
  • An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.

In layman's terms, it's like a bonus or a little something extra. So if you get all that you need of something then ya get a little more on top of that then the extra is your "lagniappe". It's like the icing on the cake ya didn't know you were gonna get but it sure was nice when it happened. :animwink:

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

lagniappe= something extra? I looked it up and it means something extra thrown in when making a purchase, like the 13th bagel when buying a dozen. Right?

Yes & no. Technically that's kinda the background of where the term came from but when used in conversation where we used to live in Louisiana it can be used a little more loosely. It's a word that came with us when we moved away. :animwink:

I still say other stuff like we used to also. Like if I was asking you would you like a discounted room at the Grand Floridian I might say: "You want that room at Grand Floridian discounted. Yeah?" It's like you tell somebody what it is you're asking then ask if that's right. I don't even think about it, catch myself still doing it, then get a little tickled over it. Sorta like if I catch myself saying something with a southern drawl even though I've not lived around my relatives in Southern Alabama for a looooong time. :D

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In matters like this I tend to default to the position that bean counters at Disney know what they are doing. If they are going to jack up the rates like that it is for one reason.....They have data that shows there are enough people out there who will pay it.

Upvote 0

Mrs.Toad

Before I fall off my office chair for the third time this week, anyone know how high the prices look for Yacht and Beach next summer?

I'm afraid to look.:eek::dazzle:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
Before I fall off my office chair for the third time this week, anyone know how high the prices look for Yacht and Beach next summer?

I'm afraid to look.:eek::dazzle:

Should be the same as the beach club. Just go to disneyworld.com and search for the room only price for your dates and you'll get your answer.

Upvote 0

harveyt0206

I too was totally shocked with the price increases (before any discounts, of course). I did some searching for both our March trip and our October trip and in all honesty I now am not sure we will be able to do either one. The cost may just be a bit too steep for our pockets next year. :shrug: Oh well, I am sure Disney won't miss us but we sure will miss them.

Upvote 0

PixyDust

Could the price increase in late April be due to that being Easter week? Easter is extremely late in 2011. If I'm not mistaken, its April 24.

Sorry, I didn't see that the entire month of April was increased. WOW!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Could the price increase in late April be due to that being Easter week? Easter is extremely late in 2011. If I'm not mistaken, its April 24.

Sorry, I didn't see that the entire month of April was increased. WOW!

Easter is late next year. I was going to book the end of April next year after I had such a great time the end of April this year, but because of Easter I nixed the idea. But pretty much all of April is Spring break for schools.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Sorry. :D Here ya go.

n. Chiefly Southern Louisiana & Mississippi
  • A small gift presented by a storeowner to a customer with the customer's purchase.
  • An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.
In layman's terms, it's like a bonus or a little something extra. So if you get all that you need of something then ya get a little more on top of that then the extra is your "lagniappe". It's like the icing on the cake ya didn't know you were gonna get but it sure was nice when it happened. :animwink:

I had never heard of that word either, but from the context of how you used it, I thought it was just another word to say that these customers who pay full rack rates are crazy, stupid, or insane!:lol:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
Easter is late next year. I was going to book the end of April next year after I had such a great time the end of April this year, but because of Easter I nixed the idea. But pretty much all of April is Spring break for schools.

Exact same thing for us. Looks like we'll be going in May instead (maybe we'll make it for the opening of Star Tours 2).

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster

You are absolutely right. When we were in Hawaii we stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea and at Princeville, both with ocean view rooms and didn't pay that much. I really wish I knew what percentage of guests who stay at deluxes pay rack rates.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom