Rumor Hollywood insiders say there's growing tension at Disney as CEO Bob Chapek chafes at Bob Iger's 'long goodbye'

JoeCamel

Ah, TimeWarner Cable, probably the worst utility I have ever dealt with.
I've dealt with three the last month and all are abysmal in performance. Multiple calls required to get accounts squared away and equipment but the silver lining is I get all the CS discounts available. It is endemic to the customer service arena where they have screens and a script but anything out of the ordinary they are unable to deal with. The pressure they must feel with all the surveys and probably a call time average to limit them they are in a tough job.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The article in question is garbage.

Let me get this straight: Chapek is chafing such he can't hold out to take total control until Iger is gone in 5 months? That's the big drama? Eye roll x 100.

The big business scuttlebutt back when the pandemic hit, was that everyone involved was happy with Iger sticking around to help out. (The business takeaway and the Bob-haters have different views over this.)

The next part of the issue in the article is the wisdom of the day and date release of Black Widow. It is a big question mark why Disney couldn't get a China release. But... that's a question mark. Who knows who really made that decision... the article doesn't say, because it doesn't know, but... drama!! The article does fairly lay out the pros and cons of the day and date release, but doesn't really tie it to the clickbait title of Chapek "chafing."

And remember: when someone spills corporate intrigue, it's usually because they want to spin internal conflicts their way. So, yes, maybe there is internal conflict. But can you trust the spin of a leaker to present the facts clearly and fairly?

skypilot2922

To who? And why? I can’t wrap my head around that one at all. Care to explain more?

It's simple to make the members of the BoD rich beyond measure.

Back in the old days this was called 'self dealing' and was illegal, Yes an executive team could sell the company but they were not allowed to profit from the sale in any manner the best they could hope for was to be offered a job at the new combined company.

el_super

Disney wasn’t the 27th largest company on the planet in 2003. Not even close.

Yeah... You're right. Everything Iger has done since becoming CEO was a continuation of Eisner strategy to keep Disney independent. The only key difference between the two is that Iger grew quickly thru acquisitions rather than try to expand internally.

Personally, I would rather see Disney stay the last independent studio, but I still think they will get gobbled up eventually.

willtravel

I've dealt with three the last month and all are abysmal in performance. Multiple calls required to get accounts squared away and equipment but the silver lining is I get all the CS discounts available. It is endemic to the customer service arena where they have screens and a script but anything out of the ordinary they are unable to deal with. The pressure they must feel with all the surveys and probably a call time average to limit them they are in a tough job.
I had better luck with Time Warner than I di with Spectrum. I actually miss Time Warner. They worked with me on pricing. Spectrum doesn't.

UNCgolf

Yeah... You're right. Everything Iger has done since becoming CEO was a continuation of Eisner strategy to keep Disney independent. The only key difference between the two is that Iger grew quickly thru acquisitions rather than try to expand internally.

Personally, I would rather see Disney stay the last independent studio, but I still think they will get gobbled up eventually.

Eisner made some pretty big acquisitions too. He bought ESPN (well, ABC, but ESPN was the most important part of that acquisition), which has been printing money for Disney for decades and by most indications is still massively profitable, if less than it once was.

celluloid

Eisner made some pretty big acquisitions too. He bought ESPN (well, ABC, but ESPN was the most important part of that acquisition), which has been printing money for Disney for decades and by most indications is still massively profitable, if less than it once was.

For me the biggest difference is Eisner loved the idea of the Walt Disney Presents kind of Legacy, and was not afraid to put his face on every intro, as egotistical as it may have come across, he put his face on those intros with some accountability and homage to the legacy.

Another great thing Eisner did was admit not to understanding the theme park side of the business since he came from a film and television studio background. The guy not only visited Imagineering early on, but brought his son with him to get a feel. The story is well documented that Tony Baxter saw Eisner's son with him and figured Star Tours is going to be the project that got pushed ahead over his Zip A Dee Doo Dah mountain theme, and Eisner's son is paraphrased as saying "This Star Wars thing is really neat, but this Mountain ride is awesome"
Tony Baxter thought, Smart kid. That is how we got Splash Mountain and eventually Star Tours anyway.

Examples like those that really speak to me personally.

Ghost93

Let me get this straight: Chapek is chafing such he can't hold out to take total control until Iger is gone in 5 months? That's the big drama? Eye roll x 100.
Yeah I'm in the middle of reading Disney War and whatever feud there is between Iger and Chapek doesn't hold a candle to the Eisner/Katzenberg/Ovitz drama of the mid-90s.

SpoiledBlueMilk

The big business scuttlebutt back when the pandemic hit, was that everyone involved was happy with Iger sticking around to help out. (The business takeaway and the Bob-haters have different views over this.)

The next part of the issue in the article is the wisdom of the day and date release of Black Widow. It is a big question mark why Disney couldn't get a China release. But... that's a question mark. Who knows who really made that decision... the article doesn't say, because it doesn't know, but... drama!! The article does fairly lay out the pros and cons of the day and date release, but doesn't really tie it to the clickbait title of Chapek "chafing."

And remember: when someone spills corporate intrigue, it's usually because they want to spin internal conflicts their way. So, yes, maybe there is internal conflict. But can you trust the spin of a leaker to present the facts clearly and fairly?
The only big takeaway I see is the end - the tumult that will come from reshaping the ELT.

the.dreamfinder

I love strategic planning. It's one of my favorite things to do at work and I've done it long enough to realize that the mindset for good strategic planning doesn't really translate to day-to-day executive leadership.
Then add in Eisner/Wells devaluing expertise within business segments, especially Parks, in favor of StratPlanners, who were primarily investment bankers before coming to Disney.

Beacon Joe

Six Flags has a book value of negative money, where are they going to come up with $400,000,000,000?

The massive profits Six Flags' parent company will surely make from Space Jam 2? :D

(Been a running joke between me and my son about Six Flags acquiring Disney, every time we see something that looks like a cheap, Six Flags-esque "slap a Bighead sticker on it and profit" move at a Disney park or resort. Like the current Art-of-Animationification of the Contemporary. Or like pretty much anything having to do with Marvel.)

Disney wasn’t the 27th largest company on the planet in 2003. Not even close. The list of potential suitors is short: Apple, Microsoft, Google, maybe Amazon or FB? I am not sure the government would approve Amazon, Apple, or Facebook. Certainly they’d block a Chinese or Saudi takeover of a company that large.

It would be the biggest sale of a company in the history of business, even after accounting for inflation.
Yes, I don't think there is another firm out there large enough to buy out Disney without running afoul of antitrust regulation. Although, it's worth remembeing that Iger did write in his memoir that if Steve Jobs had lived he believes Disney and Apple would have merged. But with Apple having expanded into producing content since then, it's hard to see that merger being allowed at this point.

Jae Sea

Had not seen this mentioned yet, take the source with a ton of salt…

Hopefully Chapek will have the spine that Iger didn't and stop with the woke BS and toxic environment BTS at Disney that keeps leaking out. Go back to entertaining, stop with the catering to the fragile leftists on Twitter that have such easy lives that they have nothing better to do than look for things to be offended about, fire Kathleen Kennedy and replace her with Favreau to save Star Wars, among other things.

Animaniac93-98

Warner Bros. sold Six Flags in the 90s. They only had control of the company for two years.

Around the same time Paramount bought Taft's parks, right?

The 90s were truly the peak of themed entertainment. Not in terms of quality, but sheer quantity.

Everybody had to get into the theme park business. Every restaurant had to have a theme or gimmick. Retail was go big or go home.

It was often garish and absurd, but it was at least fun to live through and see the hype played out in real life and on TV.

Now we've swung in the opposite direction and everything is minimalist and boring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom