Rumor Hollywood insiders say there's growing tension at Disney as CEO Bob Chapek chafes at Bob Iger's 'long goodbye'

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Here

Her last sentence: "Reminiscing a lot lately as we gear up to go back for another Guardians adventure! #gotg3"

She is still doing it. RDJ didn't want to do Marvel anymore and wanted a break, possibly to do more producing.

They didn’t want to pay him…not a secret there…

though to be fair to Disney…they got burned by this fool:
1627756975185.jpeg

doctornick

1. Disney sent out a press release that globally from PA they got $60million - that is an attach rate of 1.93%, terrible

Is that terrible? I mean, Devil's advocate, but this is uncharted territory - what is a "good" number for this sort of process? We know that for Black Widow, the subscription number was large enough that they decided to release the information. I don't think it would be reasonable to expect any movie to get a more than a few percentage points of D+ subscribers to purchase.

And we know that whatever number Disney got for Black Widow (and other movies) via Premier Access that's more than (say) AT&T got from all the WB movies that went on HBO Max for free.

I'm firmly of the belief that the Premium Access model was a bad idea for Black Widow (though perhaps reasonable for other titles) because it cut out the legs from the theatrical run. I do think it would have had better holds and more repeat in theater viewers without the availability of premier access. It also lessened the ability to "double dip" - have people pay for the theater viewing and then later pay for an at home copy/download/stream later. I also question as to the impact of piracy which was much easier (and surely better quality) with a streaming release.

Honestly, the biggest issue for Black Widow is probably China - I don't think it has or will be getting a release there, right? That's a big loss for a MCU movie and probably the biggest difference for it and something like F9 or Godzilla vs Kong that have done much better worldwide.

SirLink

So 1.93% attach rate I would be looking at a much higher attach rate considering Marvel is one of the key landing zones for Disney+. Then you have the many issues surrounding PA not being priced per profile, no watermarked IP address so they can track down pirates and far too long access to the content and not more time limited like 36/48 hours.

They should of just paid the backend like WB did for their talent.

And then you have the issue with China and releases, which is a more of a wider Hollywood thing.

SirLink

The lack of China release is a mystery. Disney ain't saying why. Industry watchers don't know why.

It most likely because this is the 100th anniversary of CCP so they have prioritized content to promote that. Deadline had a little note on an article from 25th July:

July has not been a banner month for Chinese movies — propaganda films released for the 100th anniversary of the founding of the communist party underwhelmed — and the market surely needs, and benefits from, its local hits. But, to maintain its growth (Covid or not), it also needs studio muscle.

Link

I would guess it was a test, to see how well local hits along side their anniversary performed but as the Deadline article note states the box office under performed. Maybe they want to try and get to a point where they don't want Hollywood content. 🤷‍♂️

GimpYancIent

The lack of China release is a mystery. Disney ain't saying why. Industry watchers don't know why.
It's complicated! China's big on government control. Tow the party line.
"Films must be submitted to the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) for censorship prior to being cleared for import into China. This entails a three-step process: The filmmakers submit their screenplay or finished film to the Censorship Board for review."

SirLink

It's complicated! China's big on government control. Tow the party line.
"Films must be submitted to the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SARFT) for censorship prior to being cleared for import into China. This entails a three-step process: The filmmakers submit their screenplay or finished film to the Censorship Board for review."
Its been approved for a China for sometime but hasn't been given a release date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom