Hollywood Brown Derby

elizs77

Original Poster
Why does this restaurant require 2 table service meals per person if you are using the plan?

I looked at the menu, and price-wise, I don't see where it would necessarily be more than a lot of the Epcot restaurants like Le Cellier (please, oh please Disney minions who troll this site, do not make Le Cellier 2 meals!).

So why, pray tell, is this one different? Is it just that good?

tigsmom

Its an upscale restaurant, sometimes considered a Signature Restaurant.
Plus it carries the reputation of the original in Hollywood which is where the stars always gathered.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I really don't think it's better than Le Cellier, but it is very good. The grapefruit cake is fantastic. I haven't had it in quite a while. I may look up the recipe and make some in the next week or two. :slurp:

BeanSz

Our first year using the dining plan, the Brown Derby was only 1 credit which we thought was the best deal in WDW, and one of our favorite restaurants. That year, if you used the dining plan, they also added a free lobster tail to your meal. What a deal. Unfortunately, the next year they moved this restaurant to 2 TS credits. Either way, we love this restaurant.

davinakb

HBD is good, but not great. It does have more of a nicer, fine dining atmosphere, old Hollywood theme though it probably is the low end of Signature Dining. Everyone's tastes vary. IMO it's the nicest places at DHS; but if you are looking for a Signature restaurant anywhere (resort or park), there are other places (Jiko, AP, CG, Narcoosees) more worthy of the 2 DDP credits. FWIW.

SchultzFamily

We dined at Derby several years ago (I think it was my DH's 50th birthday trip--so that was five years ago). We did not like it--we were very disappointed. We had a server who acted as if he did not want to be there and was no help at all. The steak I had was terrible; my DH said his meal was okay but he detested the grapefruit cake. We thought of giving it a second chance this year but not for 2TS's. We'll stick with Mama Melrose--we like it and have always had great service and above average food.

DisneyGigi

It is worth the 2 credits, it is really good. I hate that the appetizers are not included now though because they are really good.

I really don't think it's better than Le Cellier, but it is very good. The grapefruit cake is fantastic. I haven't had it in quite a while. I may look up the recipe and make some in the next week or two. :slurp:

I make this cake alot, the recipe is as good. I would suggest making 2 layers instead of slicing the one, just double the recipe.:wave:

elizs77

Original Poster
As far as the grapefruit cake goes, is it white grapefruit or ruby red? I'm like one of five people on earth who likes grapefruit, and ruby red is my favorite.

DisneyGigi

As far as the grapefruit cake goes, is it white grapefruit or ruby red? I'm like one of five people on earth who likes grapefruit, and ruby red is my favorite.

Then you will love this cake it is so fresh tasting and good.
I use the Ruby Red when I make it at home. The recipe just calls for Grapefruit juice and grapefruit sections so you could use either one. I absolutely loved it at the Brown Derby and when I made it at home it tasted just the same so I am pretty sure it was Ruby Red that they use.

H20Babie

Then you will love this cake it is so fresh tasting and good.
I use the Ruby Red when I make it at home. The recipe just calls for Grapefruit juice and grapefruit sections so you could use either one. I absolutely loved it at the Brown Derby and when I made it at home it tasted just the same so I am pretty sure it was Ruby Red that they use.

Would you be willing to PM me the recipe? Please? *begging* :)

GoofyMom2

I have another Brown Derby question:

When you get the Fantasmic Dinner Package at the BD, I know it is a fixed price. It's states appetizer, entree and dessert. Do you get to choose from the regular menu or is there a separate menu for this package? Especially need to know for my kids.....

Thanks for any help on this!

PS Thanks for giving the link for the GF cake recipe....sounds yummy and I look forward to making it! :slurp:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I dont know why it is but most of our bad dinning experiences have been at the studios.

The Food at the Brown Derby was not bad, the service was appalling. Missed appetisers wrong entres, and the table near us had the same issues.

I think theyve doubled the points to put you off going so as not to annoy the staff by giving them pesky guests to deal with all of whom will no doubt be expecting what theyve ordered.

harryk

I dont know why it is but most of our bad dinning experiences have been at the studios.

The Food at the Brown Derby was not bad, the service was appalling. Missed appetisers wrong entres, and the table near us had the same issues.

I think theyve doubled the points to put you off going so as not to annoy the staff by giving them pesky guests to deal with all of whom will no doubt be expecting what theyve ordered.

My family ate there several years ago (lunch time), not on any dining plan, and was very disappointed. Each year we ate there prior to this (back to when the park opened), we noted that the quality and service was on the down track -- I am surprised that it is 2TS on a dining plan now. Great to know and I'll pass it up and cross the street to the buffet.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have eaten there before and the food and service were very good but I agree with you, it would not be worth 2 dinning credits. If I was going to throw down 2 credits for a meal it would be at a place like Jiko's or CG not Brown Derby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom