Holidays at the Magic Kingdom 2015

Disone

Is there going to be a Christmas at EPCOT thread where they show the "EPCOT Wreath" being placed on the Coral Reef entrance sign?

Epcot really has begun to feel so minimalist right? Really all of WDW does now. Each park gets a tree, and garland on some buildings, but its really not much more then that anymore.

ToTBellHop

There are some things that should be left alone. I watched the show and its terrible. This is disney world not frozen world I want to see cinderella, fairy god mother, mickey and friends. Tragedy at its best!
And I think it's wonderful and quite the improvement from Cindy's Holiday Wish. The big reveal of the Dream Lights is breathtaking now where it used to be more drawn out. The Frozen version is quite popular.

ToTBellHop

Epcot really has begun to feel so minimalist right? Really all of WDW does now. Each park gets a tree, and garland on some buildings, but its really not much more then that anymore.
That's a bit extreme, I think. While Future World is the place where Christmas went to die, I think World Showcase is well decorated (though the Lights of Winter are obviously still missed). I really like the holiday decorations at the Studios, too. Maybe we will get the Christmas tree back in front of GMR this year? And some of the resorts still go all-out.

Biff215

There was a strange scissor lift which was next to the west turret. I looked like the spot light was sitting on this.

Is that a permanent installation, or do we know?
I also noticed the scissor lift, I assumed this was part of the new setup. Can anyone confirm?

If permanent, I'll admit that lift immediately caught my eye and looked a little out of place. Hopefully it was just the angle the video was taken from, and not visible across the entire hub.

gbruenin

I also noticed the scissor lift, I assumed this was part of the new setup. Can anyone confirm?

If permanent, I'll admit that lift immediately caught my eye and looked a little out of place. Hopefully it was just the angle the video was taken from, and not visible across the entire hub.

The lighting rigs (both the scissor lift and telescope rigs from the new turrets) retract out of sight during the day. When up at night, the spots themselves just seem to be floating in the air. Compared to the rigs/trusses of the past they really are minimalist.

YodaMan

Wasn't there supposed to be something new or exciting or "OMG" about the holidays at MK this year? Didn't some insider post something along those lines or am I totally mistaken?

jrhwdw

Wasn't there supposed to be something new or exciting or "OMG" about the holidays at MK this year? Didn't some insider post something along those lines or am I totally mistaken?
Martin posted something about it this summer, he didn't give any hints in case it didn't happen, doesn't look like it did. I do know from reading on here, rumors about Wishes & DAWM's replacement are still out there but we haven't heard any thing in a while. I just noticed this week, that the strobes on the Castle Stage Arches are either gone or stopped working. Looks like it's been that way since DAWM returned. Anyone have any info on that?

Disone

That's a bit extreme, I think. While Future World is the place where Christmas went to die, I think World Showcase is well decorated (though the Lights of Winter are obviously still missed). I really like the holiday decorations at the Studios, too. Maybe we will get the Christmas tree back in front of GMR this year? And some of the resorts still go all-out.

I was not being extreme??? I don't think its fare to paint my comment as holiday decor being minimalistic as extreme. I honestly think WS is very minimal, and as you point out FW is nearly a non-existent offering of holiday decor. A few trees, non particularly impressive, and some garland, and done. I do not mean to be extreme. But its very minimal, especially for WDW who once had the reputation of absolutely owning Christmas. Visiting WDW during the holidays was a must do! It use to be over the top. Now, not so much.

JohnD

I was not being extreme??? I don't think its fare to paint my comment as holiday decor being minimalistic as extreme. I honestly think WS is very minimal, and as you point out FW is nearly a non-existent offering of holiday decor. A few trees, non particularly impressive, and some garland, and done. I do not mean to be extreme. But its very minimal, especially for WDW who once had the reputation of absolutely owning Christmas. Visiting WDW during the holidays was a must do! It use to be over the top. Now, not so much.

There's a lot to be said for just white lights in the trees surrounding W.S. You don't need the over-the-top Osborne Lights (love them but this wouldn't be the place). In this case, less would be more.

Disone

There's a lot to be said for just white lights in the trees surrounding W.S. You don't need the over-the-top Osborne Lights (love them but this wouldn't be the place). In this case, less would be more.

Oh, I am not proposing Osborne lights type over the top. In fact, I do not really enjoy the osborne lights, I feel they are very much over the top but I get they are suppose to be so I am fine with them, they just are not too night on my to do list. If you have ever seen Sea World Orlando during the holidays, they really are the bench mark here. Its never over the top, but the park is WAY more decorated for the holidays then what Disney is doing, but very much like what Disney use to do.

Another good example would be MK's Town Square, with the toys and the candy canes. Its not over the top, bits like a piece of old Disney Christmas, the WDW parks use to have a LOT more of that kind of decor present during the holidays.

Last edited:

peter11435

Oh, I am not proposing Osborne lights type over the top. In fact, I do not really enjoy the osborne lights, I feel they are very much over the top but I get they are suppose to be so I am fine with them, they just are not too night on my to do list. If you have ever seen Sea World Orlando during the holidays, they really are the bench mark here. Its never over the top, but the park is WAY more decorated for the holidays then what Disney is doing, but very much like what Disney use to do.
What did disney use to do? Besides the lights of winter. What decorations are now missing from WS or FW.

Disone

What did disney use to do? Besides the lights of winter. What decorations are now missing from WS or FW.

Hard to remember it all, as it was little things, not big things like the Lights of Winter. That said, Epcot use to have more holiday topiarys displayed. Studios use to have a lovely model train (G scale) set under its tree. I guess WDW is really too big now to go all out everywhere. But if you go to Disneyland, you will kind of see what I mean. New Orleans square gets deck out in holiday attire, as does Toon Town and even Frontierland. And that's in addition to the attraction overlays of HM, IASW, and JC. Again, not over the top park decor, just way more then what we are seeing here. Seems at WDW is make sure each park as one big tree and one big holiday offering. MK has the Castle lights, Epcot has Candle light AND Holiday tag, Studios as Osborne, and DAK use to have the jingle in the jungle parade. But its really not a park wide treatment.

mikenatcity1

I agree that Disneyland has far more decorations than the WDW resort. The explanation we have been given (on both coasts) is that Disneyland caters 90%+ to annual passholders who want change (hence why multiple attractions have overlays that change the ride) and even complete with Christmas music piped into most of the park all day and night while WDW caters to the persons who may go once in a lifetime or come from all over the world to see. Imagine if you planned a trip for a year to see the Haunted Mansion, only to find Jack Skellington...I would have been sad as a kid. It was hard to get used to the mentality but then I did and I was better :) The only thing I still hate is the lack of garlands on Main St.

Disone

I agree that Disneyland has far more decorations than the WDW resort. The explanation we have been given (on both coasts) is that Disneyland caters 90%+ to annual passholders who want change (hence why multiple attractions have overlays that change the ride) and even complete with Christmas music piped into most of the park all day and night while WDW caters to the persons who may go once in a lifetime or come from all over the world to see. Imagine if you planned a trip for a year to see the Haunted Mansion, only to find Jack Skellington...I would have been sad as a kid. It was hard to get used to the mentality but then I did and I was better :) The only thing I still hate is the lack of garlands on Main St.

This is overstated and over used. I can almost understand it for attraction layovers, almost, but then do you apply this for refurbishments too? Do you not update and keep up with your attractions because you just never close them? WDW just closed Pirates for the SUMMER. Why not now during the off season when it does not so scarys and very merry parties just to pick up attendance more? Didn't family's in mass come during the summer only to discover the Pirates were close??? YES they did, so the reasoning above is invalid. DL may win the annual pass holder head count but which coast has thousands of DVC rooms? DVC members may not be visiting monthly, but they are visiting yearly. Maybe twice yearly if we gave them a reason to come back and see something they have not seen.... say an attraction overlay or two?

Last edited:

COProgressFan

I know this is commonly repeated, and perhaps you might have even heard it from semi-official sources, but that explanation is completely untrue.

peter11435

Hard to remember it all, as it was little things, not big things like the Lights of Winter. That said, Epcot use to have more holiday topiarys displayed. Studios use to have a lovely model train (G scale) set under its tree. I guess WDW is really too big now to go all out everywhere. But if you go to Disneyland, you will kind of see what I mean. New Orleans square gets deck out in holiday attire, as does Toon Town and even Frontierland. And that's in addition to the attraction overlays of HM, IASW, and JC. Again, not over the top park decor, just way more then what we are seeing here. Seems at WDW is make sure each park as one big tree and one big holiday offering. MK has the Castle lights, Epcot has Candle light AND Holiday tag, Studios as Osborne, and DAK use to have the jingle in the jungle parade. But its really not a park wide treatment.
I'm well aware of what Disneyland does for the holidays. And I wish they would bring back the train display from the studios. But my question is really specific to Epcot. Everyone on here always complains about Epcots decor being reduced. Other than the lights of winter I don't know of anything that has been removed from the park. I admit that I didn't visit the park during the holidays in the 80's, but at least for the past 20+ years I've seen largely the same things decorated each year with the only reduction being LOW. Id love to see pics of the missing decor but for now I feel like this is just a case of people remembering things being far better than they ever really were.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom