Holes In The Magic?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SpectroMan said:
I agree with everything every one has said.

I also can't stand the exit signs in attractions. I hate being in Splash Mountain and seeing "Exit" signs all over the place.

I`ll agree too. Why they can`t be linked to an E Stop I don`t know (regs I guess) or even be on half power unless the ride stops, emmergency lights come on etc...

Even the old style ones illuminated by a bulb were preferable to todays LED illuminated version - much too bright. Its not just Disney though, I`ve seen plenty at USF and Seaworld too (not to mention the visible plain as day smoke detectors in Atlantis`s final scene)

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
<!--StartFragment -->
SpectroMan said:
I also can't stand the exit signs in attractions. I hate being in Splash Mountain and seeing "Exit" signs all over the place.

Yeah I agree but......I'd put a c-note on somebody trying to sue Disney some day if they ever have a serious evac from the mountain. Even with all the exit signs they have in place now, someone will say they couldnt find an exit and it caused "mental trauma".

barnum42

Woody13 said:
With the exception of Rizzo, no I do not wish to see rats running around. As I stated the rat bait stations are both a health and safety issue. I understand the need to poison and/or trap the rats. I have no questions or qualms about that issue. I do wonder why they don't do a better job in concealing or camouflaging these devices. Just as a CM should not prop open a backstage door, the CM's responsible for Integrated Pest Management (IPM) should not leave bait boxes in open public view IMO.
But if they disguised them, the rats would also not see them and thus not end up in the trap ;) :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
SpenceMan01 said:
BINGO BINGO BINGO!!! I was too, in fact I'm surprised we made it to a second page before it was mentioned.

They are just soo obvious and they stick out so bad. I hate them!

You say that now, but I bet in the event of an emergency in there, and you had to evac, you would be very happy to be able to clearly see the way.

Remember these things have to operate in smoke conditions, and are highy regulated by building codes for safety.

They are theming problem, but they are very neccessary. :)

Prof Ecks

On the evening of Dec 28th 2004, we were at the top of Spaceship Earth about 830 pm and it broke down. They turned the lights on and we had to walk down. We are still debating what impact seeing the inside of spaceship earth with the lights on had on our feelings about the ride, but there was definitely a suspension in the magic for those few minutes. Have you seen the inside of it, from the top where the earth appears in the sky on down, with the lights on?

As for going behind the scenes as part of the Fantasmic Dinner package....I didn't feel any suspension of the magic. In that case you feel kind of special, perhaps like when you take one of the special tours (which I would like to take too!)...so it actually made my day...December 31st, even more magical.

PhilosophyMagic

But wait- you didn't tell us what it looks like inside Spaceship Earth with the lights on! What does the planetarium scene look like? Can you see a projector? I'd love to see that! That's probably the most imteresting ride to see the backstage of!

Tom

Beta Return
Ok, a few things here:

1. I love seeing backstage and behind-the-scenes stuff too (I worked as a stagehand for 4 years in college), and I have taken Backstage Magic and Keys to the Kingdom tours, but I DO NOT want to see it when I'm On Stage. They are two worlds, and I want to keep them separated. It is indeed a bummer when you're riding the MKRR and you see the tunnel from the main lot to the parking lot behind TL and Main Street, and the parade driveway, and the overpass that brings the CMs to the main tunnel entrance.

2. Exit Signs: I am a Construction Manager, and have had the "pleasure" of reading the International Building Code. You have to understand that every ride, show or attraction is FIRST a building, then an amusement. In ANY building, you have to be able to clearly see the path of safe egress from anywhere in a public corridor or areaway. These signs must be lit at all times, because the power won't necessarily be out when there is an emergency. The emergency lights come on only in a power outtage. I agree, it's a bummer to see bright red signs when you're floating along in your log, or traveling through a dark ride, but they're required by law - and there for OUR safety. The last thing I want is to be stuck inside the maze of Splash Mountain and a fire break out - and not have any idea how to get out of the warehouse - bad news!

3. Take a look down the canal, west of the MK, when you're on the monorail the next time. You can see ALL the way back to the locks, and see the electrical pageant barges as well as the Parade Storage Facility. Bad show.

4. Eat at Cinderella's Royal Table, in the castle, and sit by the windows. You can clearly see the new Wishes Fantasyland launch points, on the rooves of the neighboring buildings.

5. As for the backstage walk to Fantasmic, I just think of MGM as one giant "backstage" park. That's why they don't have many certain areas where CMs have to walk - their costumes are appropriate anywhere in the park, since they're ON and "OFF" stage there.

6. I've never had a ride or attraction ruined for me, just by seeing it with the lights on, because I know its not real to begin with. However, when I can see roads, and cars, and the sides or tops of warehouses when I'm engrossed with my surroundings in a park, that's when it loses some magic. I bring up the train ride again - I LOVE trains and i LOVE riding MK's, but I only want to see roads, and cooling towers and water pipes and parking lots when I'm on a tour or driving to the park.

Sulley

Woody13 said:
The rat bait stations were indeed within view and within reach of any guest. The queue at Kilimanjaro Safaris had 8 rat stations all within 2 feet of the pavement. The Pangani Forrest Exploration Trail had 10 bait stations again all within easy reach of the public. Maharajah Jungle Trek had 6 rat bait stations within easy public view and reach.

I was not looking for these, they were just that easy to spot! I am sure there were more.

I have to agree with you on this. I was at the Caribbean Beach Resort for new years, and they were laid out all over the place. You could easily reach them (or into them), and I felt they put them anywhere they had free space. I agree it's better that than having rats all over the place, but at least try hiding them with a fake tree or something.

-Sulley

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Cruising through Tomorrowland on my "Highway in the Sky" I have gone into space mountain and was surprised to see the lights on. As the lights are somewhat dim, it gave me more the impression of scaffolding rather than coaster tracks.

I would have to second an item that was mentioned much earlier, when you witness CM's B*tching and moaning about something or someone while on stage, someone finally getting fed up after the 20th or so totally incompetent guest, or some looking like they slept in their costumes seeming to be wantering aimlessly on stage.

dr_teeth90210

File under bad show:

My wife and I were dining at Pizza Planet when a big ole' rat came scurring up a pipe about 10 feet behind me. Needless to say, we lost our appetite.

Goofette

monorail_man said:
IMO I love to see backstage. I like to see how things work.

I Agree! I know I'm strange, but it's so interesting to me to see the ins and outs of things. I know most people it loses the magic for them, but I would love to see some pics of some of the things you all are talking about. We should have a thread where people can post pics of things they find like that (or maybe if some of you have pics of things you can post it in this thread). I want to see one of the rat traps! LOL It is just really interesting to me. When I bought the LOTR movies the extended edition I think I enjoyed the making of the movies more than the movie itself.

If it wouldn't ruin things for you guys, would some of you mind to post some pics here of stuff you notice if you have any. Thanks!! :wave:

KaliSplash

Well, I don't want to see how things work. I've never had any desire to go into the utilidors, or take a behind-the-scenes tour.

I was always pleased to notice, and I did look at this, how those in parades stayed in character after they had cleared the gate. They appeared to march until they were around the corner. Ditto for the fife and drum corps as they head offstage. This is a very good thing!

I did wonder about the Skyway. Because, of course, the actual buildings there in Fantasyland are very plain. And yes, you do see 'unthemed' areas on the train rides and the monorail.

But overall, WDW does a much better job of hiding reality than any other park I've every visited.

Piebald

I don't care about going backstage, but I remember on two occassions I saw a lot of cool stuff.

The first time, on a field trip in 8th grade, we went through a gate on the left of IASW (in between it and the skyway) where we saw the side building of IASW and a bunch of trucks. Then we opened a door and we went downstairs in the HM building where we were in the Dance Ball room scene. We saw all the animatronics but we couldn't pass a certain yellow line otherwise apparently we would have ruined the effect (I think they said we'd show up as ghosts too but I'm not sure).

The other time was Grad Nite. Since we went two hours before everyone else, the park was just closing. Therefore, we had to wait for the normal park guests to exit, so our buses took us through a dirt road where we passed through the back road which is right next to Space Mountain then we went around and saw all the CM backstage areas and then all the way around to Frontierland. We drove by the buildings where Spectromagic floats are stored, saw a bunch of "Character outfits" and saw all the buildings on that side. We entered through the gate where all the parades either start or finish (depending on which direction theyre going)

anb163

I have had one such experience with space mountain. It was the first time I had ever rode it and the lights were on. I could see everything. It was fun but it is ten times better in the dark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom