Holding seats at QS restaurants

jaklgreen

Is this one of those self fulfilling prophecy type scenarios?

People don't want to be walking around with food searching for a table, so they hold a table. If no one held tables, there would be better availability.

The Universal approach was great. They held the food line-up back if tables weren't available. Once I had food I was seated almost immediately.

There is obviously some debate on whether or not people should hold tables, but the Universal approach eliminates that issue perfectly.

It might be harder to implement at Disney due to a higher guest volume, but it's really a no-brainer in my eyes.

I know they have used this policy during busy times at Pecos Bills. They way they set up the restaurants with so many ways in and out makes it hard for them to monitor the area. Plus I can imagine how many times the cast members get yelled at trying to enforce this. Let's face it, a good chunk of WDW visitors are self centered jerks. The only thing that might work is they queue the line outside and let people in as tables open up. Plus a little courtesy from guests would be nice like during the rush time, eat and get out. Don't sit there forever to "rest" after you finish your meal.

Weather_Lady

While table-saving during high-volume times isn't something we've done (we purposely avoid high-volume times so it's not been an issue), I've never looked askance at anyone else for saving a table. Unless there's a rule being posted and enforced that they can't sit down until they have food in hand, I don't see table-saving as rude or improper (so long as you're actually buying food at the restaurant, and are not saving more seats than your party will require).

I suppose I'll continue to feel this way until the day I AM in a crowded restaurant and can't find a seat because food-less persons are saving tables... at which point I'll summon the necessary chutzpah to plunk down with my tray at a food-less table anyway, and stare awkwardly at the person "saving" it, until they feel compelled to leave...

breesus

This is why, despite some people's claim that it's overpriced, etc. I don't mind making reservations at like Sci Fi, or using my Landry's card to butt everyone at Yak & Yeti/Rainforest, just to be able to sit comfortably and not have to hassle w anything.

And sorry, even (or especially?) if you have young kids, I don't really think that matters, especially when awful mom takes up two 4-tops so her kids can make condiment finger-paints on one while she IM's the guy she's having an affair with at the other table.

That said, as much as I hate seeing people w/o food locking down those tables when I am carrying a full tray, it's equally as bad when you have to do that yourself. Honestly some days, especially at like Harambe market, I've had to hunt down a table, and then spend the next however long until my wife gets back guarding it from everyone else giving me dirty looks (also without food, so whatever) its awful and I've still had people take one of the TWO chairs at my table to add to their 11 seat collection at their own.

TLDR I know. But I agree w the way Universal does it at the Harry Potter restaurants (the restaurants themselves suck, but that's another story)

We are like you. QS for lunch at 11am then table service for dinner. We also try to hit spots like Columbia at MK, Flame Tree at Ak, and Sunshine Season at Epcot for QS. I rarely have an issue finding a table at those. Pecos is the biggest nightmare with Backlot express running a distant second.

slipperalwaysfits

It's entertaining to read this thread as I've lived in Japan for several years. Space is at such a premium there (and in Europe) that if you're at a restaurant and need a place to sit, the etiquette is actually to sit down next to a stranger if that's the only seat that's open. In many places in Japan, they have long tables to encourage communal gatherings. You don't have to talk to the people next to you but it sure saves space and time. People are more flexible about personal space over there (something I miss when in line at WDW, occasionally). It's not like people are trying to evesdrop on conversations, they just want to sit down and take a break. America would be a better place if this was common practice here.

blizzbeachbum

Original Poster
I think this situation will improve as mobile ordering becomes more widely used.
I don't know... I think it may get worse. I could see people going in and grabbing a table. Then placing their mobile order and waiting for it to be ready... thus taking a table out of rotation for a longer amount of time. What's funny is that I used mobile ordering at both locations (pecos bill / pandora canteen) thinking that I would go through the line quicker and have a better shot at getting a table. I made it through the line quicker but as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread... had to search high and low for an open table. :(

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't know... I think it may get worse. I could see people going in and grabbing a table. Then placing their mobile order and waiting for it to be ready... thus taking a table out of rotation for a longer amount of time. What's funny is that I used mobile ordering at both locations (pecos bill / pandora canteen) thinking that I would go through the line quicker and have a better shot at getting a table. I made it through the line quicker but as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread... had to search high and low for an open table. :(
I can’t imagine why anyone would order that way since it defeats the whole purpose of mobile ordering.

jaklgreen

I can’t imagine why anyone would order that way since it defeats the whole purpose of mobile ordering.

I know that is weird. I order when we are not even close to the restaurant and then on our way hit the make our order button. So we only have a few minutes to wait once we get to the restaurant. As it was intended to do.

blizzbeachbum

Original Poster
I'm not saying I would do this; however, the whole purpose of mobile ordering is to allow you to order your food when/where you like which in turn could allow you to avoid the long lines. I think it's very plausible that people may use mobile ordering to avoid the long register lines. As I mentioned, some people might rather sit and wait at the table until they are summoned to pick up their food as opposed to waiting/standing in line. Just because Disney may offer this service to fulfill a specific "purpose" doesn't mean the general public won't find new ways to use this same service in a way that Disney wasn't expecting.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm not saying I would do this; however, the whole purpose of mobile ordering is to allow you to order your food when/where you like which in turn could allow you to avoid the long lines. I think it's very plausible that people may use mobile ordering to avoid the long register lines. As I mentioned, some people might rather sit and wait at the table until they are summoned to pick up their food as opposed to waiting/standing in line. Just because Disney may offer this service to fulfill a specific "purpose" doesn't mean the general public won't find new ways to use this same service in a way that Disney wasn't expecting.
I don’t doubt someone, someday may do this. I believe it would be so rare as to not cause a problem. Also, what difference would it make if people are tying up a table ordering as opposed to holding a table while the rest of the party is standing in line? Either way, a table is being occupied by people who are not eating.

blizzbeachbum

Original Poster
I don’t doubt someone, someday may do this. I believe it would be so rare as to not cause a problem. Also, what difference would it make if people are tying up a table ordering as opposed to holding a table while the rest of the party is standing in line? Either way, a table is being occupied by people who are not eating.
I was just commenting on your original statement that said, "I think this situation will improve as mobile ordering becomes more widely used." I was just pointing out that it 'could' get worse. And there is no difference between tying up a table while ordering or holding a table while the rest of the family is in line... I don't like either of those options. I hope that in the near future Disney will lock down the seating areas (at least during the busy lunch/dinner time frame) and only allow people with food a table.

blizzbeachbum

Original Poster
I know that is weird. I order when we are not even close to the restaurant and then on our way hit the make our order button. So we only have a few minutes to wait once we get to the restaurant. As it was intended to do.
Weird to those of us who know how Disney expects us to use the service. Not so weird for the uninitiated. People will find all kinds of ways to use a service that were never thought of or anticipated by the services creator.

Chi84

Premium Member
I was just commenting on your original statement that said, "I think this situation will improve as mobile ordering becomes more widely used." I was just pointing out that it 'could' get worse. And there is no difference between tying up a table while ordering or holding a table while the rest of the family is in line... I don't like either of those options. I hope that in the near future Disney will lock down the seating areas (at least during the busy lunch/dinner time frame) and only allow people with food a table.
I agree 100% that this would be a better system, especially if there were CMs helping people find seats.

daisyduckie

They have done that before, and I thought it made everything flow much more smoothly. Wonder why they stopped?

jaklgreen

They have done that before, and I thought it made everything flow much more smoothly. Wonder why they stopped?

Probably because the cast members got yelled at by guests. How dare the cast member tell my kids they could not go and sit while I order food, type of thing.

I don't have a problem with holding tables for your family, but it does sound like Universal's solution is more efficient.

What bothers me is what happens during one of the many rainstorms. On our last trip there wasn't even standing room in Pinocchio's Village Haus. Most of the tables were occupied by people without food. Out of desperation, I sat my children ON a table of people who weren't eating, and tried to make the best of it. Not one of my favorite meal experiences, but a memorable one to be sure.

jaklgreen

I don't have a problem with holding tables for your family, but it does sound like Universal's solution is more efficient.

What bothers me is what happens during one of the many rainstorms. On our last trip there wasn't even standing room in Pinocchio's Village Haus. Most of the tables were occupied by people without food. Out of desperation, I sat my children ON a table of people who weren't eating, and tried to make the best of it. Not one of my favorite meal experiences, but a memorable one to be sure.

I can see saving a table if someone is in line getting food. But to take up a table and not even be eating is very rude IMO. Go into a gift shop if it is raining or stand to the side, but don't take a table from someone who is eating.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Anyone complaining about this is completely ignoring the fact that the "solution" would create even more problems.

Scenario 1: Mom, grandma, grandpa, big sister, and little sister sit at a table while dad and auntie order for the group.

Scenario 2: Mom, grandma, grandpa, big sister, little sister, dad, auntie, their backpacks, and their stroller all get in line and order as a group of seven all at the same time. Grandpa changes his mind about what to order seven times, little sister just pooped her diaper, mom and grandma are being passive aggressive at one another, and big sister is screaming because she's not allowed to eat just pickles for lunch.

I'd argue that scenario 2 is far worse. The people who send the bulk of their party to a table are not being rude, they're actually doing a courtesy for the other guests waiting in line.

I can see saving a table if someone is in line getting food. But to take up a table and not even be eating is very rude IMO. Go into a gift shop if it is raining or stand to the side, but don't take a table from someone who is eating.
This.

jaklgreen

Anyone complaining about this is completely ignoring the fact that the "solution" would create even more problems.

Scenario 1: Mom, grandma, grandpa, big sister, and little sister sit at a table while dad and auntie order for the group.

Scenario 2: Mom, grandma, grandpa, big sister, little sister, dad, auntie, their backpacks, and their stroller all get in line and order as a group of seven all at the same time. Grandpa changes his mind about what to order seven times, little sister just pooped her diaper, mom and grandma are being passive aggressive at one another, and big sister is screaming because she's not allowed to eat just pickles for lunch.

I'd argue that scenario 2 is far worse. The people who send the bulk of their party to a table are not being rude, they're actually doing a courtesy for the other guests waiting in line.

This.

I much rather the bulk of the party go and sit down and Mom goes and gets the food. Not dad, from all of my years of working in food, dad's can't seem to remember the orders right. The mom usually comes back up to fix the issue LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom