Holding seats at QS restaurants

danyoung56

Actually I think solo diners have it remarkable easy unless you want an entire table to yourself. I have no issues when I'm solo as usually folks will have one seat somewhere. it gets devishly hard when you have 5.

Really? You plop down at someone else's table? As a solo park stormer, I just can't imagine joining some other family for lunch!

eliza61nyc

Really? You plop down at someone else's table? As a solo park stormer, I just can't imagine joining some other family for lunch!

lol, sorry no I probably explained it wrong. I have asked could I sit on the end of say a row of seats when there is a family of three. I always ask though.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's easy. You just ask "Is anyone sitting here?" and if the answer is "no," then ask "do you mind if I join you?"

You're just going to eat and leave... it's not like you're crashing a wedding reception.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
come on, that's a bit silly. When you go to a restaurant do you say "let me make sure everyone else here has a seat"?
When I am out with my family, it is all about us, that's not some evil thing. I try to be polite and if I see some one struggle, I like to think I lend a helping hand but if I'm at a food court then yeah, my first priority is to try and get a seat for my family. We're not talking about female roller derby fights, most folks if they see an empty seat somewhere they grab it. I do it at the movies also. I'll get the kids settled in then go to the concession stand.

I didn't know I should start seating random strangers.
Did you not get the memo regarding the proper procedure for sitting at a table in a food court/quick service style establishment? You are required to announce your intention to sit to the entirety of the restaurant's patrons via bullhorn and give up said seat to anyone else that needs it. You are to continue this procedure until no one else in the restaurant needs the table. Then and only then are you permitted to sit at a table.

giphy-downsized.gif

eliza61nyc

Did you not get the memo regarding the proper procedure for sitting at a table in a food court/quick service style establishment? You are required to announce your intention to sit to the entirety of the restaurant's patrons via bullhorn and give up said seat to anyone else that needs it. You are to continue this procedure until no one else in the restaurant needs the table. Then and only then are you permitted to sit at a table.

giphy-downsized.gif

lol, this site does have a habit of turning every day mundane things into a deep psychological and character flaws. :joyfull:;)
letting a kid blow bubbles in line at an amusement park means your a horrible parent and saving seats for your family at a crowded food court turns you into a selfish putz......

danyoung56

It's easy. You just ask "Is anyone sitting here?" and if the answer is "no," then ask "do you mind if I join you?" You're just going to eat and leave... it's not like you're crashing a wedding reception.

The last time I was seated at someone else's table was in the Biergarten, where that's supposed to happen. The family at whose table I was seated proceeded to stare at me the entire meal, as if I was going to jump up and kill them all with an axe. Very uncomfortable!

Ricky Spanish

The last time I was seated at someone else's table was in the Biergarten, where that's supposed to happen. The family at whose table I was seated proceeded to stare at me the entire meal, as if I was going to jump up and kill them all with an axe. Very uncomfortable!
Funny story.
When my wife and I got engaged at WDW, we celebrated by dining at Biergarten.
This was in May of '95.
We were seated with a quiet European family, maybe from Ireland or England-don't really know because they wouldn't talk with us.
We ate, drank, and had a great time.
The other family?
Basically had some potatoes and bread, kept looking at us like we were weird.
So we just got louder....

And we save tables at QS restaurants.:p

blizzbeachbum

Original Poster
I've listened to both sides of this issue and I'm still going to stick to my original statement and say that in this instance Universal does it better. I watched families of different sizes walk through the ordering line and the universal cast members did a great job of getting them to an open register. Families spend the day walking through lines so this shouldn't be any different. I witnessed a family as large as 12 wait approx. 4 minutes while the cast members pulled 2 tables together for them so they could sit together. My family of 3 got the next available table about a minute later. While eating my lunch I witnessed a few people try to sneak in and grab a table and were politely informed of the policy and turned away. I don't understand why someone who hasn't purchased a meal yet should be able to hold a table while they wait for their family. I believe the tables should be available to those that wait in line and purchase a meal. This process also allows tables to turn over faster as the quicker someone can sit down and eat the quicker they can head back out in to the parks and open the tables back up for the next family. Disney needs to make a decision and stick with it. If they decide not to prevent people from holding tables then I'll know the process and will send a family member in to grab a table about 1/2 hour before we're ready to eat. Ya know... just in case. ;)

eliza61nyc

I've listened to both sides of this issue and I'm still going to stick to my original statement and say that in this instance Universal does it better. I watched families of different sizes walk through the ordering line and the universal cast members did a great job of getting them to an open register. Families spend the day walking through lines so this shouldn't be any different. I witnessed a family as large as 12 wait approx. 4 minutes while the cast members pulled 2 tables together for them so they could sit together. My family of 3 got the next available table about a minute later. While eating my lunch I witnessed a few people try to sneak in and grab a table and were politely informed of the policy and turned away. I don't understand why someone who hasn't purchased a meal yet should be able to hold a table while they wait for their family. I believe the tables should be available to those that wait in line and purchase a meal. This process also allows tables to turn over faster as the quicker someone can sit down and eat the quicker they can head back out in to the parks and open the tables back up for the next family. Disney needs to make a decision and stick with it. If they decide not to prevent people from holding tables then I'll know the process and will send a family member in to grab a table about 1/2 hour before we're ready to eat. Ya know... just in case. ;)
Lol. Except in the normal everyday world people don't send others 30 minutes early.
10 minute tops to get my order

Prince-1

lol, this site does have a habit of turning every day mundane things into a deep psychological and character flaws. :joyfull:;)
letting a kid blow bubbles in line at an amusement park means your a horrible parent and saving seats for your family at a crowded food court turns you into a selfish putz......

And god forbid you wear pj’s in the park if you’re over the age of 1.

Last edited:

breesus

I own QSR restaurants and I can tell you it drives me crazy to see customers squat at tables while their family orders. The speed of service model is specifically set up to allow for the proper turmover of tables so that everyone will have a spot to sit once they order, pay, and grab their drinks and condiments. Of course being customer service driven,my lobby ambassador will engage that one person at an 8 seat table to see how many are in their party. If they say 4, we will look for a soon to be vacated smaller table and have them move. They never give us any issues. They aren’t picky just worried they will not find a table.

francism

I was at the MK a couple weeks ago with my niece (6), and we went and got some food at Gaston's Tavern. The place was busy, we ordered the food and once we had it, with no tray since they don't do that at Gaston's, we started looking for a table. The tables were all taken, both inside and out, so I stood there waiting for a table. One opened up and as we were walking towards it, a young woman pushed past us at a hurried speed and sat down. No food, no tray. When I told her that we had been waiting for a table, she turned away from us and refused to acknowledge us.

Another family saw what had happened and invited us to sit with them. So we did. But more than half of the tables had no food or drink while they sat and the girl who pushed around us never had anything the entire time we were in there.

I get that people want to have a place to sit with some air conditioning and shade. It's totally understandable. But it's lousy when you're standing around waiting for people to leave when you already have your food and drink in hand and most of the tables are taken up by people who didn't buy anything or have people in a 15 minute line still waiting to order.

MomofPrincessGrace

But it's lousy when you're standing around waiting for people to leave when you already have your food and drink in hand and most of the tables are taken up by people who didn't buy anything or have people in a 15 minute line still waiting to order.
This is my issue. I honestly don't care about the people who are waiting for family members to come with food and joint them at the table. My issue is the people who occupy the tables with no intention of eating or drinking anything. Last year we ordered food at Casey's, walked around for a few minutes, doubled back and looked again. No empty tables, but tables full of people with no food or drink. We ended up finding a nice little shaded area in the hub on the "grass" and ate there.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This is my issue. I honestly don't care about the people who are waiting for family members to come with food and joint them at the table. My issue is the people who occupy the tables with no intention of eating or drinking anything. Last year we ordered food at Casey's, walked around for a few minutes, doubled back and looked again. No empty tables, but tables full of people with no food or drink. We ended up finding a nice little shaded area in the hub on the "grass" and ate there.
Well, I guess now we can expect to hear about the new "Picnic In The Hub" $$$ experience...

jaklgreen

I own QSR restaurants and I can tell you it drives me crazy to see customers squat at tables while their family orders. The speed of service model is specifically set up to allow for the proper turmover of tables so that everyone will have a spot to sit once they order, pay, and grab their drinks and condiments. Of course being customer service driven,my lobby ambassador will engage that one person at an 8 seat table to see how many are in their party. If they say 4, we will look for a soon to be vacated smaller table and have them move. They never give us any issues. They aren’t picky just worried they will not find a table.

Oh how I wish we could do that where I work. 1 person will come in and sit at a one of our few 6 top tables by themselves and spread their laptop and work stuff all over. They will buy 1 coffee and camp there half the day. But where I live everyone is an entitled Jack@&& and if you say anything they start yelling at you and complain to the owner and you get in trouble or fired. The night crew will close up and clean the back area but still leave the majority of the restaurant open with more then plenty seats in the evening. But there is always someone who goes beyond the "this section is closed" barrier and sit there. If you tell them it is closed they say that they don't care, they want to sit there. Even though there are over 20 other tables available. People are just rude now.

jaklgreen

I was at the MK a couple weeks ago with my niece (6), and we went and got some food at Gaston's Tavern. The place was busy, we ordered the food and once we had it, with no tray since they don't do that at Gaston's, we started looking for a table. The tables were all taken, both inside and out, so I stood there waiting for a table. One opened up and as we were walking towards it, a young woman pushed past us at a hurried speed and sat down. No food, no tray. When I told her that we had been waiting for a table, she turned away from us and refused to acknowledge us.

Another family saw what had happened and invited us to sit with them. So we did. But more than half of the tables had no food or drink while they sat and the girl who pushed around us never had anything the entire time we were in there.

I get that people want to have a place to sit with some air conditioning and shade. It's totally understandable. But it's lousy when you're standing around waiting for people to leave when you already have your food and drink in hand and most of the tables are taken up by people who didn't buy anything or have people in a 15 minute line still waiting to order.

I would have just sat down with that girl and not said a word to her. LOL

jaklgreen

Finding a table at QS restaurants in WDW can be a NIGHTMARE. People get so freaking rude it's unbelievable. There was an empty table at Yak & Yeti Local Foods so I put my tray down and this guy came over and said "I've been holding this table for 10 minutes." I'm not a confrontational person so I gave him the table but obviously if I sat my stuff down first then he wasn't really saving it bc I wouldn't have been able to even do that. Something similar happened in HS except the lady didn't speak English so it was an even more confusing exchange. I don't even like Thinking about finding tables at QS restaurants.

At Yak and Yeti the tables are pretty much a community affair. I am sorry that guy was a jerk to you and I agree people are getting nastier. I have been lucky to sit at tables with very nice people in the past. I love the curry vegetable dish at Yak and Yeti counter service.

Wendy Pleakley

Is this one of those self fulfilling prophecy type scenarios?

People don't want to be walking around with food searching for a table, so they hold a table. If no one held tables, there would be better availability.

The Universal approach was great. They held the food line-up back if tables weren't available. Once I had food I was seated almost immediately.

There is obviously some debate on whether or not people should hold tables, but the Universal approach eliminates that issue perfectly.

It might be harder to implement at Disney due to a higher guest volume, but it's really a no-brainer in my eyes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom