Hogsmeade vs Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Better land?

• Total voters

doctornick

That wouldn't work in the context of the land they created, though, because it's under the control of the First Order. They wouldn't be celebrating the destruction of the Death Star.
My thought would be to have it be a rebellious celebration going on without permission and, yes, they can even have some First Order reaction as part of the show.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Although I love both franchises equally, I think that Hogsmeade has the advantage if for nothing else than that if I start my day in US I can get to Hogsmeade via the Hogswart Express and be completely immersed in HP world from the minute I walk into Kings Crossing station.
I could probably say that about SGE eventually via the Starcruiser but I gotta have what? $2500 to be able to have that type of immersion. 🙃

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm more of a Star Wars fan than a Harry Potter fan, but the advantage goes to Hogsmeade for me. It just has a lot more recognizable things, whereas Galaxy's Edge tries to be "this is similar to this" everywhere since it's not technically a planet from the movies/shows.

Also, as mentioned, a LOT of Galaxy's Edge is upcharges. I also tried to use the app, but it was too complex IMO for basic use

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
As a land I think Galaxy's Edge is far better. It feels like the difference between a rural drag with one main street with everything on it vs. a small downtown district to weave through. Alternatively, Hogsmeade feels like a nice movie set and GE feels more immersive.

That said, I still prefer visiting Hogsmeade because it's someplace I've wanted to be. Also, I think Diagon Alley over Hogsmeade and think it's a better competitor to GE.

Married5Times

hog has the express.
----- galaxy has no real answer to such a perfectly positioned piece of transportation/attraction

hog has the warts castle sightline -the best themepark sightline in the usa
-----galaxy has no real answer to such visuals

galaxy beats hog on size; its sheer vast acreage pummels hog badly.

erasure fan1

That said, I still prefer visiting Hogsmeade because it's someplace I've wanted to be. Also, I think Diagon Alley over Hogsmeade and think it's a better competitor to GE.
And here is the root of the issue. It's something I've been saying from the start. Not many, if any, star wars fans, really want to go to black spire. Do potter fans want to see Potter land? Of course they do. Is galaxys edge well done? Sure it is. Is there any emotional connection to star wars? Absolutely not.

999th Happy Haunt

Most everything in GE is interactive if you have the Play Disney app. You can find contraband or weapons in the containers. You can discover secret transmissions and let the Resistance know. Or the First Order. The app is to GE like the wand is to DA. And it’s free (how much is a wand?).
Things are interactive in Galaxy’s edge in the sense that your smartphone is telling you that you did something and maybe you hear a sound effect. The only exceptions I can think of are the Falcon blowing some steam when you interact with it or the Dianoga in the water fountain (which in all fairness is pretty cool.) And I think most people don’t want to stare at their phone while they’re on vacation.

Wizarding World does it much better imo, if someone in your party has a wand you can set off some very charming physical special effects. Even seeing other people do it while you’re walking around adds so much to the kinetics of the area.

CinematicFusion

Biggest difference for me is the original Star Wars characters of Luke, Leia, Han, Boba Fett, Darth Vader and new characters like Mando, Grogu are nowhere to be found. The best Star Wars timeline is not allowed in Galaxy’s edge.

Colossal fail for Disney. Spoiler alert…You won’t see Vader on the Galactic Starcruiser.
1. Falcon ride would be 100% cooler with Han and Chewie owning the Falcon. Listening to them bicker at each other while waiting in line, crashing Falcon and Harrison Ford screaming at you for damaging his ship. Would be epic.

2. ROR ride would be 100% better is it was Darth Vader chasing you, he continues to be one of the greatest movie villains of all time in top movie villain rankings.

Hogsmeade gives you the original timeline and characters of the classic movie series. You don’t go there and only see characters from Fantastic Beasts.

Disney knows where the bread and butter is with Star Wars. It’s why they continue to stick with the OT timeline at Disney+. Luke made a cameo, Han will make a cameo, Kenobi and Vader have a series. But… they aren’t allowed in galaxy’s edge.

Epic fail for Disney with Galaxy’s Edge.
* Land itself is laid out great. Add a coaster, another bar, and a themed sit down restaurant and the land is set.

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

hog has the express.
----- galaxy has no real answer to such a perfectly positioned piece of transportation/attraction

hog has the warts castle sightline -the best themepark sightline in the usa
-----galaxy has no real answer to such visuals

galaxy beats hog on size; its sheer vast acreage pummels hog badly.
Disagree, the Falcon reveal is awesome. Perfect area in my opinion. Just wish Han Solo was still flying it. Huge point off for Disney not setting Galaxy’s Edge in OT timeline.

erasure fan1

Most everything in GE is interactive if you have the Play Disney app. You can find contraband or weapons in the containers. You can discover secret transmissions and let the Resistance know. Or the First Order. The app is to GE like the wand is to DA. And it’s free (how much is a wand?).

And I think most people don’t want to stare at their phone while they’re on vacation.
Exactly. I have to look at my phone all day for work and everything else. I don't see people in the star wars movies using cellphone type devices to do stuff. I do see people in the Potter movies using wands all the time. And I want to experience what I see in the movies. Now maybe if they had integrated a magic band type thing to stimulate the force, it would compare to Potter.

Fox&Hound

Side note- you think they would ever theme the front part of DHS (by Echo lake) to the original trilogy? It would be a lot of real estate for Star Wars but it seems like a great way to make more fans happy.

Did I ask this in another thread? Apologies if I did, I can't remember...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom