Hogsmeade vs Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Better land?

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The better source material is the better long term appeal…just my opinion. The two potter lands are much better for an emotional tug…

and the fact that one is repurposed and then they have still enhanced it since makes it a clear cut winner in my opinion.

the best lands at wdw continue to be at Dak, the showcase pavilions and Frontierland/liberty square at MK

TrainsOfDisney

I think that it also has to do with the fact that Hogsmeade is, obviously, set on Earth and has the connection that people keep mentioning. Galaxy's Edge just doesn't resonate. The droids/actors might have helped but no planet from Star Wars is so iconic that it could have been used and felt "right". Also, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley have the immersive feel buttressed by music and thus is more like stepping into a movie.

It probably is also dependent on the person. Seeing Hogwarts or the outside of Gringotts is pretty inspiring. Seeing the Falcon is fun and maybe the one time that Galaxy's Edge really grabs you. It would also help if Rise was slightly more accessible than Fort Knox (actually this statement applied to when BG's were in use as opposed to now).
The lack of score is a huge problem at Galaxies Edge but not being set on earth is a non-issue. If it was done right it would work.

The view of the falcon is good and quite impressive but there needs to be more kinetic energy even there. Droids and actors “loading” the falcon, mechanics working on it, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The lack of score is a huge problem at Galaxies Edge but not being set on earth is a non-issue. If it was done right it would work.

The view of the falcon is good and quite impressive but there needs to be more kinetic energy even there. Droids and actors “loading” the falcon, mechanics working on it, etc.
It’s bland because they tried to straddle the line between bad source material and “not embracing” the pre-Disney stuff that was beloved…

they should have called it “fence post’s point” instead

Djsfantasi

I don’t know when you were there, but I’ve seen all of the examples you quote. Plus, Rey and Wookie working on a spaceship, Kylo Ren recruiting spies, Wookie getting spare parts, Stormtroopers marching through, creatures appearing in unusual places…
There’s always been a lot going on while I was there.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t know when you were there, but I’ve seen all of the examples you quote. Plus, Rey and Wookie working on a spaceship, Kylo Ren recruiting spies, Wookie getting spare parts, Stormtroopers marching through, creatures appearing in unusual places…
There’s always been a lot going on while I was there.
You’ve seen droids and mechanics loading and working on the falcon?

TrainsOfDisney

I'd still rank New Orleans Square or Liberty Square in their prime above any IP land Disney or Universal has built.
New Orleans Square is hard to beat!! Live Jazz music, 2 of the best theme park attractions ever built (no debate!), counter service, 2 sit down restaurants, mint Julip bar, train station, lots of themed shops. The kinetic energy of the rivers of America and the train.

totodog

Galaxy's Edge is just somewhere I walk through to get to ROTR or Smuggler's Run. Diagon Alley is a place you explore beginning with just stopping at the entrance to wait for the dragon to breath fire. I don't see any kind of 'event' like that at Galaxy's Edge...combine that with being able to run around using interactive wands everywhere in the land, just makes it much for fun to visit. I mean Diagon Alley really only has one ride in it..and people flock to it. Maybe if GE provided a way to go to different places you could use the force (or do they do that...never stayed around in that land long enough to find out.). Anyway, as with everything, all about preferences.

TrainsOfDisney

Galaxy's Edge is just somewhere I walk through to get to ROTR or Smuggler's Run. Diagon Alley is a place you explore beginning with just stopping at the entrance to wait for the dragon to breath fire. I don't see any kind of 'event' like that at Galaxy's Edge...combine that with being able to run around using interactive wands everywhere in the land, just makes it much for fun to visit. I mean Diagon Alley really only has one ride in it..and people flock to it. Maybe if GE provided a way to go to different places you could use the force (or do they do that...never stayed around in that land long enough to find out.). Anyway, as with everything, all about preferences.
There is the game you can play in the app. The Perry the platypus game is more impressive but I mean it’s just Star Wars so why try?

The marketplace area and antique shop are nice to wander... will be interesting how long it takes for generic Disney Parks Merch to appear there. I wish they had more spaces like that throughout the land and less empty space. It seems like they didn’t need to tear down quite as much for what little they actually built.

Club Cooloholic

To be fair it is Hogsmeade vs Galaxy's Edge. Diagon blows both away.

Djsfantasi

Most everything in GE is interactive if you have the Play Disney app. You can find contraband or weapons in the containers. You can discover secret transmissions and let the Resistance know. Or the First Order. The app is to GE like the wand is to DA. And it’s free (how much is a wand?).

The “events” in GE include appearances (and interaction with) Kylo Ren, Rea, Wookie and the Stormtroopers. Plus, one can find aliens and beasts around every corner (e.g., get a drink of water near the rest rooms).

If you have PhotoPass, you can take home pictures of yourself and your family IN THE ACTION.

The marketplace stores also are more than retail shops. You can get green or blue milk (normal OR adult) on the street. The Den of Antiquities, the puzzle shop, the pod racer engine cooking meat for your dinner, and Oga’s Cantina all are experiences you shouldn’t miss.

The latter has music played by a DJ droid, alien cocktails, strange snacks and an overall good time.

So if all you do is walk through it, you’re missing out. Just as if I only walked through DA.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Most everything in GE is interactive if you have the Play Disney app. You can find contraband or weapons in the containers. You can discover secret transmissions and let the Resistance know. Or the First Order. The app is to GE like the wand is to DA. And it’s free (how much is a wand?).

The “events” in GE include appearances (and interaction with) Kylo Ren, Rea, Wookie and the Stormtroopers. Plus, one can find aliens and beasts around every corner (e.g., get a drink of water near the rest rooms).

If you have PhotoPass, you can take home pictures of yourself and your family IN THE ACTION.

The marketplace stores also are more than retail shops. You can get green or blue milk (normal OR adult) on the street. The Den of Antiquities, the puzzle shop, the pod racer engine cooking meat for your dinner, and Oga’s Cantina all are experiences you shouldn’t miss.

The latter has music played by a DJ droid, alien cocktails, strange snacks and an overall good time.

So if all you do is walk through it, you’re missing out. Just as if I only walked through DA.

I actually think the Play Disney app is a significant hindrance to GE as opposed to an HP wand, not a bonus.

Yes, the wands cost money, but they're a physical object that fits the world. It makes sense to wave a wand and create magic in that setting. The Play Disney app is just something you're doing on your phone, and since most kids don't have a phone that's a further problem. It's basically anti-immersive to have to play around on a phone app to make things happen in GE.

GE just feels barren in too many places. There is definitely some neat stuff there, but it's so disappointing compared to what it could have been (and what they were originally planning, for that matter).

Last edited:

Djsfantasi

I actually think the Play Disney app is a significant hindrance to GE as opposed to an HP wand, not a bonus.

Yes, the wands cost money, but they're a physical object that fits the world. It makes sense to wave a wand and create magic in that setting. The Play Disney app is just something you're doing on your phone -- and most kids don't have a phone. It's basically anti-immersive to have to play around on a phone app to make things happen in GE.

GE just feels barren in too many places. There is definitely some neat stuff there, but it's so disappointing compared to what it could have been (and what they were originally planning, for that matter).
I do have a complaint, that might apply to your “barren” complaint.

I think the devotion the theme is problematic in one area.

Signage !!! Most signage is in incomprehensible Star Wars universe characters. Which leads visitors to miss what’s going on. This may sound ridiculous, but sub-titles on the signs would help people exploring the land. Do ge signs in Adventureland appear in middle eastern languages? Are the signs in AK IN African or Asian? I test my case.

sullyinMT

Yes, the wands cost money, but they're a physical object that fits the world. It makes sense to wave a wand and create magic in that setting. The Play Disney app is just something you're doing on your phone -- and most kids don't have a phone. It's basically anti-immersive to have to play around on a phone app to make things happen in GE.

Even for my adolescents, who now have phones, being nose-deep in a screen takes something away from experiencing what should be a beautiful and immersive land all its own. I don't condemn Disney for trying to get into the AR thing with Galaxy's Edge, and I can certainly understand the appeal of "living" with the land during a pitch meeting. But there is something bland and not fully fleshed out about GE.

I agree with other posters. There's a lot to enjoy within Batuu. The marketplace, the Kylo and Stormtrooper appearances, what the Resistance repair shop area could be, and the F&B are all enjoyable. But what makes GE (perhaps) safer than Hogsmeade is also its downfall - too much wide open space. What makes both areas of WWoHP feel alive is their cramped and congestive nature. Although, there's a whole thread dedicated to the dangers of the FotLK exit for this reason, so ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom