Hogsmeade vs Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Better land?

• Total voters

Vegas Disney Fan

I couldn’t decide, I am a much bigger Potter fan so I feel more immersed in the land/story at HP but it feels less grand in scale than GE.

HP creates emotion for ne, GE creates awe… both are amazing in different ways.

wdwfan22

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer Galaxy's Edge over Harry as the land doesn't feel as cramped.

DfromATX

As much as I love Disney World, I can't believe I'm saying this, but definitely Harry Potter! Sorry, Star Wars land is sooo dull and boring looking to me!!

GuyFawkes

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer Galaxy's Edge over Harry as the land doesn't feel as cramped.
Potter's stuff is cramped for a reason, it is part of the theming. None of the Potter places are wide open huge places, they are all tight in real life as well as the movies. How many mobility scooters do you see in Potter movies? How many you see at Disney?

wdwfan22

Potter's stuff is cramped for a reason, it is part of the theming. None of the Potter places are wide open huge places, they are all tight in real life as well as the movies. How many mobility scooters do you see in Potter movies? How many you see at Disney?
That's a cop-out. Universal knew the land would be busy. It was a stupid decision on their part to make the land so cramped. It does nothing to help park operations or the Guest experience.

Skibum1970

That's a cop-out. Universal knew the land would be busy. It was a stupid decision on their part to make the land so cramped. It does nothing to help park operations or the Guest experience.

While I voted Hogsmeade over GE, I agree with the cramped feel of it. On any day that isn't a "1" on TouringPlans, that area is difficult to walk through without having to employ Barry Sanders moves or constantly rubbing shoulders with others. I don't know if they could have done so but a little bit wider walktways would have improved the area and made it a little more enjoyable.

Married5Times

is easy to understand:

Galaxy > Hog
Galaxy > Diagon

Wizard World light years > Galaxy

Rise > Gringot
Rise > Hagrid
Rise > Journey
Rise > Express

Gringot >Falcon
Hagrid > Falcon
Journey > Falcon
Express > Falcon

Grigot + Express + Hagrid + Journey light years > Rise + Falcon

GuyFawkes

The one place I'll agree is on the way to the castle and Universal has a stage there for shows. That area does get to busy when a show is going on. The way the traffic flows through there isn't great. If you get a big line at the butter beer place, people watching a show and the always busy castle area things could be improved there. Part of the problem is that is also an exit from the land. Too many things going on at once in that one area.

Djsfantasi

UNCgolf

A good observation!

For those interested, here is an article describing the many activities in GE.

That's almost as bad a list as the one Disney made for Avengers Campus.

Eat some food! Spend $350 extra dollars building a droid and lightsaber! Ride the attractions!

And by the way, I don't mean that as an attack on what's available at Galaxy's Edge. I just mean telling people that riding the attractions is something they shouldn't miss is so obvious as to be worthless.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

That's almost as bad a list as the one Disney made for Avengers Campus.

Both lists seem to be made to curtail criticism that there isn't enough to do in each of these lands, especially for those who have difficulty getting to experience RotR.

Just off the top of my head, here's 10 things you can do in Hogsmeade, all included in your regular park admission:

1. Ride Forbidden Journey
2. Ride Flight of the Hippogriff
3. Ride Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure
4. Watch the night time show on the castle
5. Watch the Frog Choir
6. Watch the Spirit Rally
7. See the show in Ollivanders
8. Talk with characters like the conductor next to the Hogwart's Express Train
9. Tour Hogwart's Castle, without being in line for the ride
10. Look for animated window/shop displays and Easter Eggs (since that's on the Avengers Campus list)

^ none of which include buying food, merch, wands or paying for a Park2Park ticket to ride the train, or seasonal stuff like when they change the land after dark during Halloween.

doctornick

Both lists seem to be made to curtail criticism that there isn't enough to do in each of these lands, especially for those who have difficulty getting to experience RotR.

Just off the top of my head, here's 10 things you can do in Hogsmeade, all included in your regular park admission:

5. Watch the Frog Choir
10. Look for animated window/shop displays and Easter Eggs (since that's on the Avengers Campus list)

^ none of which include buying food, merch, wands or paying for a Park2Park ticket to ride the train, or seasonal stuff like when they change the land after dark during Halloween.

Yep. I enjoy Galaxy's Edge, but what is clearly missing is "stuff to do" that doesn't involve spending extra money. I've said many times but another ride or show or even a high quality meet & greet would go a long way. They could easily do something like Ollivanders where there is a free show to entertain that also encourages people to make a purchase (maybe someone showing the crowd a droid that gets built).

As an aside, the Hogwarts castle show made me think: could they do a nighttime show in GE? There's parking lot on the back of the land, so they could do some fireworks there. Wouldn't it be cool if they did something like the old Pleasure Island New Years every night show - in this case say it is the people of Batuu are "celebrating the anniversary of the destruction of the Death Star/end of the Empire" but do it every night. Some fireworks and fire effects with a soundtrack featuring Star Wars songs... would be a big hit I think.

Djsfantasi

5. Watch the Frog Choir

Its obvious that you prefer Hogsmeade. So much so that you’ve focused on the extra cost associated with the Disney list. It’s from Disney, so of course they’re going to focus on extra cost items.

But if you also read my earlier post, I list many experiences that cost nothing… nada… zilch!

But you’re going to argue since you like HP better. Ok 👍🏻 Go ahead 👌🏾

UNCgolf

Wouldn't it be cool if they did something like the old Pleasure Island New Years every night show - in this case say it is the people of Batuu are "celebrating the anniversary of the destruction of the Death Star/end of the Empire" but do it every night. Some fireworks and fire effects with a soundtrack featuring Star Wars songs... would be a big hit I think.

That wouldn't work in the context of the land they created, though, because it's under the control of the First Order. They wouldn't be celebrating the destruction of the Death Star.

Fox&Hound

I just experienced GE for the first time this December, and I mostly agree that it is...missing something. The land is pretty dull to look at and the colors are so muted and blah. I understand it fits the theme of the Star Wars movies but it does not make for an entertaining or appealing landscape. What changed GE for me was Rise of the Resistance- it was, without a doubt, one of the best rides/experiences I have ever encountered. And without ruining it (although I am sure most know) the characters and environments you encounter on that ride immeasurably made the land "work" for me. But, for those who have yet to encounter Rise (due to the embarrassing technical problems) I don't think GE would be impressive at all. It wouldn't feel like iconic Star Wars, and that is problematic. When I went, there were characters walking around but the land was very confusing to navigate and I am sure we missed a lot of things to see. Heck, we couldn't find Smuggler's Run without asking a cast member, so there's that.

But, I think the bones are there for something great. I am sure that by adding more characters and maybe a sit down table service restaurant down the road this land can be the hit Disney always intended. I didnt enjoy the new movies, so it is difficult when the characters you love (Darth Vader, Yoda, Luke, Leia, heck even the ewoks) are missing. It is difficult because Harry Potter is the characters and the place (Hogwarts) but Star Wars is the characters. Yes it has iconic locations but it is just so scattered across so many planets and timelines.

Riding Hagrid's motorbike though was just PURE joy. I smiled like an idiot the entire time and it may have emerged as a top favorite in FL. And the queue was amazing too (although a bit deceptive- how many tunnels can you walk through?). Potter rivals what Disney does at its best and I think Mario and Epic Universe will continue that trend.

Sorry for the ramble but I vote goes to Hogsmeade. A bit too cramped and the film for the forbidden journey has not aged well (still makes me sick) but the atmosphere just oozes charm and joy. And when I am on vacation, that is what I want, not a war-torn planet that looks like desolation and sadness.

TrainsOfDisney

Most everything in GE is interactive if you have the Play Disney app. You can find contraband or weapons in the containers. You can discover secret transmissions and let the Resistance know. Or the First Order. The app is to GE like the wand is to DA. And it’s free (how much is a wand?).
The wand is More like the agent P game was in Epcot... lots of fun physical interactions.

In GE it’s just a scavenger hunt with an occasional blinking light or sound effect.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
When did Kylo Ren become the main villain in the Star Wars franchise? When did Rey become the anchor of hero/heroine? Therein lies part of the problem.

Disney spent 4 billion dollars and countless additional millions to capitalize on the inclusion of a movie franchise into their parks. Yet they base their entire “parks” investment on a movie trilogy that dropped a little over 6 years ago.

They’ve spent absolutely no effort on the dynamic that existed that caused them to fork over the initial 4 Billion in the first place. There just isn’t an emotional attachment to SWGE for anybody - the prequel fans, the original trilogy fans, or the Disney trilogy ones. It’s just bad business. No wonder the Star Wars Galactic Cruiser hotel is in chaos right now.

The theme of SWGE is good. Land is immersive. In fact, every time I walk into Batuu my mind harks back to that emotional scene where Luke and Han rescued Leia from Imperial Stormtroopers. Or maybe that time Qui Gon did battle with a Sith Lord. Or perhaps when Rey and Poe save Finn from Captain Phasma....oh wait - that wasn’t Batuu? Okay. Nevermind.

At this point I would be happy if they rethemed the entire land to the garbage disposal scene in “A New Hope”. Because then I’d at least have some type of connection with it.

Last edited:

fryoj

I said from the very beginning Disney screwed up not building the land based on movie locations. They should have started with tatooine at HS, then could have built an Endor at AK. Maybe a Cloud City at DL. Reimagine the Epcot ball as the Death Star, lol. Spread it out to all of their parks. It gives the SW fans what they actually wanted and makes them take longer trips to see everything.

But as to the question at hand, both lands are great lands. Both have their faults. I'd probably lean Hogsmede, but it's not a slam dunk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom