HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

malice

The new HK castle is featured in the Disney Parks logo for D23Expo 2019. Seems likely we’ll being seeing a model or more definitive art on display at the pavilion.

5E92112E-F23B-4F1B-BE75-2EFB6C29BAA3.jpeg

tirian

A new tower has arrived and the colour of the roof is this weird blueish green?

I'm concerned about the colour scheme... there's the original dark blue, then the new copper red that we saw earlier, and now this bright aquamarine colour!

If it’s anything like the Shanghai castle, it’ll be fugly.

My engineer friend who’s not a Disney fanatic went to Shanghai DL and sent me a text message with a castle pic and three words: “What the heck?”

:D

But I think we can all agree the real mountain range behind the HKDL castle adds a heightened sense of beauty and realism. Come on, WDI. Get that color scheme right.

ParkPeeker

Because of the mountain range in the background, I wish they would have went with a color scheme like tokyo’s, more real castle looking. It’s not looking to be the case, but I’m hoping it turns out well. It looks good on that logo, excited for d23!

IMDREW

And I thought they were trying to distance themselves from that Frozen castle thats coming. Now they’re making the roofs ice blue!

ThemeParkTraveller

And I thought they were trying to distance themselves from that Frozen castle thats coming. Now they’re making the roofs ice blue!

Is Frozen still being classified as its own separate land, or will it be seen as an extension of Fantasyland (which is already a perfect thematic fit for it)?

PymParty

Is Frozen still being classified as its own separate land, or will it be seen as an extension of Fantasyland (which is already a perfect thematic fit for it)?

Frozen is going to be its own land for sure. The name will be called "Arendelle : World of Frozen".
However, locating it behind Fantasyland will still help to create some good transitions between the two lands.

Disneylover152

Hoping it'll just be classified as Fantasyland, but knowing Disney they'll probably want to classify it as it's own land considering it has 2 rides plus it's better marketing for them.

ThemeParkTraveller

Hoping it'll just be classified as Fantasyland, but knowing Disney they'll probably want to classify it as it's own land considering it has 2 rides plus it's better marketing for them.

I think I would prefer that too, if only to make HKDL's Fantasyland feel more fleshed out and complete compared to the other versions worldwide. That said, this matter of distinction doesn't really make any difference in the end to the average guest.

Interestingly, the Marvel attractions still appear to be part of Tomorrowland right now instead of being a separate Marvel/Superhero Land like at DCA and WDSP. Not sure if this will change with the opening of the Avengers E-ticket in 2023.

Disneylover152

I think I would prefer that too, if only to make HKDL's Fantasyland feel more fleshed out and complete compared to the other versions worldwide. That said, this matter of distinction doesn't really make any difference in the end to the average guest.

Interestingly, the Marvel attractions still appear to be part of Tomorrowland right now instead of being a separate Marvel/Superhero Land like at DCA and WDSP. Not sure if this will change with the opening of the Avengers E-ticket in 2023.

I hope it doesn’t happen with Tomorrowland. It’s already the size of a postage stamp with the 2 new Marvel Rides, lol.

BrianLo

My assumption is ultimately Tomorrowland would be renamed as a total package after the final marvel phase. We haven't seen it yet, but I anticipate some retheming/rebranding to Starliner and Comet Cafe.

There is a drive to make the park seemingly different from Shanghai. Dropping the Tomorrowland moniker is just another step in that process.

As for Space Mountain? One would assume an overlay is inevitable.

halbjobri

View attachment 395823
Any guesses on what those dots are? Sparkles, lights, bolts? I was hoping that aqua color was only the primer and the roof tiles would get some more different shades throughout. But with those dots on them it may be the final color after all.

After looking at more pictures and videos I'm starting to think that this roof part might not be for the castle itself, but for the side towers that project the video mapping onto the castle during fireworks. There's a rectangular cutout on the roof that might be a window to a control room of sorts?

SpaceMountainUK

After looking at more pictures and videos I'm starting to think that this roof part might not be for the castle itself, but for the side towers that project the video mapping onto the castle during fireworks. There's a rectangular cutout on the roof that might be a window to a control room of sorts?

That cut out looks like access to the structure within to attach this piece to wherever it will be placed, if you notice the roof shingles stop here so I assume another roof piece may be fixed to it at that point. The other steel structure on top of this roof looks like where a prefabricated tower piece will be attached.

Looking at the dots they look like LED lights which gives that sparkle effect during the nighttime shows.

sedati

I think that's just where another part of the structure will be connected.
I also think the holes are for permanent LED's which would be far more preferable to parking a crane next to the castle for half the year to add/delete lights.

ParkPeeker

Been working on this on and off this week. I compared the sizes of the castles using blueprints I found, and a grid (which I deleted afterwards). The lines are the heights of the different castles, with Paris and Hong Kong having the same height. I compared them from the bottom most part of the blueprints, so presumably from the moat (For Hong Kong, I superimposed Hong Kong's blueprint over Anaheim's, since the former started from the entrance rather than the moat). Tried to be as accurate as possible.
Note: These were the best blueprints I could find.

Below are images comparing the new castle with the existing ones, individually. (click to enlarge pic)

Hong Kong vs. Anaheim

Hong Kong vs. Paris

Hong Kong vs. Orlando/Tokyo

Hong Kong vs. Shanghai

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom