HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

IMDREW

Hong_Kong_Disneyland_Resort_Main_Street_overivew_200705.jpg

Quick photoshop image to see what it's supposedly going to look like :)

Robert.W

Those images look fab!

Like many, I also wasn’t massively keen on the design when it was revealed, and although I did warm to it a little, seeing it all photoshopped together has actually made me really like the design. I read somewhere a while back that the new castle was supposed to take design cues from Hong Kong architecture, and I can definitely see some of those influences in the design, especially with what appears to be a large glass window running right the way up the front the castle, very sleek.

I think the way Disney might choose to describe it would be “authentically Disney and distinctly Hong Kong”...

IMDREW

I really love the top part of the castle. Especially that they made the highest tower on the left side of the center instead of the usual right side. It works to offset the mountains in the background. The bottom part could be better.. less cluttered. But I think what will make or break it are the eventual colors they go with. If they just keep the whole thing in the same color range it can work beautifully.

RandySavage

I read somewhere a while back that the new castle was supposed to take design cues from Hong Kong architecture, and I can definitely see some of those influences in the design, especially with what appears to be a large glass window running right the way up the front the castle, very sleek.

When the first rendering below came out, I thought for a moment it was a futuristic castle rising out of a fairytale castle, ala Voltron. That would have been be very bold, cool and too high-concept for Disney to risk doing. The starry sky, long windows and laser-water helped give that impression.

20161122_hongkong_01.jpg

The above rendering makes the buttresses look flat. We need a physical model or 3-d rendering to see how the five or six flying buttresses spiral up and around the main tower. That will be a cool aspect.

As we've all noted, the make-or-break factor will be if in the end it looks like an awkward giant add-on or a naturally integrated landmark castle: materials, colors and style of the towers will all play into it.

Animaniac93-98

When the first rendering below came out, I thought for a moment it was a futuristic castle rising out of a fairytale castle, ala Voltron. That would have been be very bold, cool and too high-concept for Disney to risk doing. The starry sky, long windows and laser-water helped give that impression.

20161122_hongkong_01.jpg

The above rendering makes the buttresses look flat. We need a physical model or 3-d rendering to see how the five or six flying buttresses spiral up and around the main tower. That will be a cool aspect.

As we've all noted, the make-or-break factor will be if in the end it looks like an awkward giant add-on or a naturally integrated landmark castle: materials, colors and style of the towers will all play into it.

IMO they kept too much of the original castle. They should have removed the upper half completely and then designed taller towers and such to fit on top.

IMDREW

The last few expansions have all opened in the beginning of the year. Can we expect that for the other expansions as well? I know stateside they tend to open new stuff for the summer crowds, but here it looks as if they want things to open in spring. Any thoughts?

BrianLo

The last few expansions have all opened in the beginning of the year. Can we expect that for the other expansions as well? I know stateside they tend to open new stuff for the summer crowds, but here it looks as if they want things to open in spring. Any thoughts?

I think the January openings have more been the result of projects being pushed back and therefore off course. The last wave were all in the more tranditional May through summer timeframe.

The answer is more when it is ready than any clear logic (Iron Man was January, Mystic Manor was May, Grizzly Gulch was July and Toy Story Playland was August).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom