Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

DarkMeasures

Well according to the director, the only editing done was parts that weren't in the movie but in the book were added. But expect this movie to be much longer than the book.

Now, if Restaurant at the End of the Universe gets made, that will be a challenge mainly due to the fact that there will be no Douglas Adams involvement. But outside of that, it would most likely be 100 times better than the made for TV movie just because of the fact that most of that book was left out in that movie.

careship

Sneak Preview

Saw a sneak preview of this last night. It was funny. The kids liked it. I don't think it's the greatest thing they've done, that's for sure. Those Douglas Adams fans will possibly be disappointed. We'll see what others say. I think Mos Def was excellent though. And the little robot, well let's just say he ranks right up there with R2-D2/C3PO for funny. It's definately a different kind of funny though. I almost would say that it has a Spaceballs/Star Wars/Monty Python feel to it all.

Number_6

Well, I just got back from seeing it. I don't want to give away too much to people that haven't seen it yet or even are thinking of seeing it having not read the books. What I will say is this: I really liked it, but it could have been better also. Then again, isn't it always the case? They did make a few nods to the BBC production from years ago: 1)The title music to the BBC series is used at one point, 2) The original Marvin the Paranoid Android is seen in a queue on Vogsphere and 3) Simon Jones(Arthur Dent from the BBC series) makes an appearance as the holographic recording on Magrathea. I also felt one thing at the very last instant was a nice tribute to Douglas Adams, so watch for it. Mos Def was great as Ford and Martin Freeman was a really good Arthur. As far as the rest of the cast goes, they also did a good job, but IMO there was far too little of the Guide entries. Stephen Fry provided the voice for The Guide and he sounded perfect for it. There is mention of "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" near the end, so they are probably hoping that they will get to do a sequel, but that will really depend upon the amount this film makes. One last thing, there is a new trailer for another Disney film before the movie starts. It made everyone laugh since it had the exact opening for the first trailer of "Hitchhiker's Guide" up to the point of "Don't Panic." Then the word "Don't" falls over so it just says "PANIC" and Chicken Little comes running through. Everyone in the theater laughed at that one and for the most part seemed to think it was pretty clever. Any specific questions about the movie can be directed to me via PM, so as not to ruin things for anyone else.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I just got back from seeing it as well. I've never read the books so I went into the theater only knowing that the story was about a guy from earth who goes into space after Earth is demolished. :lol: I liked it, but it surely could have been better. It gets a B+ from me.

Dizparks

Just got back and I love it. I thought it was really well done, and stayed pretty close to the book. Sure there were some tangents from the book, but that's expected in any movie made from a book. I hope they do make a sequel.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Friday Estimates from ShowBizData
HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY 8.1 8.1
XXX: STATE OF THE UNION 4.4 4.4
INTERPRETER, THE 4.2 33.5
AMITYVILLE HORROR, THE 2.6 49.5
LOT LIKE LOVE, A 1.7 11.2
SAHARA 1.6 52.8
FEVER PITCH 1.1 33.9
KUNG FU HUSTLE 1.0 10.5
GUESS WHO .7 64.0
SIN CITY .6 71.8

Good, but not good enough....still has chance at $30 million though. Hopefully it will have good legs throughout May.

DarkMeasures

Well of course it would not be a hit. It would be very hard to do so. Especially the year the movie has come out in. I mean look at all the tent-pole movies this year.

But that may be an advantage too. Because the director opted to do things to make the movie cheaper (like zaphod changes and the Vogons being puppets and not CG), it is more likely for the movie to make a profit and prehaps in the end warrent a sequel in which I am pretty sure would do better.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
The weekend estimates are in and the number is $21,707,000. I hope it has strong legs throughout May but with a huge new film coming out every weekend it might not be possible.

Guess we won't be seeing a Hitchhiker's Guide attraction in Tomorrowland now. :(

imagineer99

That's actually not bad, Nemo. Hitchikers met expectations and trumped the craptacular-should-never-have-been-made-mindless-tripe that is XXX2.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it. I found the opening sequence to be my favorite part. It wasn't perfect, but I was definitely entertained. (Mos Def owned, skeptics should step down now)

Hitchiker has never really relied on a strong plot (as it's pretty much non-existent), instead it's always focused on a wry humor style and funny commentary. The movie did this and delivered in spades.

People do not seem to understand that the Hitchiker story has been virtually altered in every one of its incarnations (from radio, to novel, to tv, to film), so there is no type of sacred dogma that has been altered by Hollywood. Even Adams himself has stated that there is no "definitive" version of the story. This film is just yet another interpretation.

Plus, I actually liked the trillian-arthur romance. It felt right. So, sue me. ;)

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
imagineer99 said:
That's actually not bad, Nemo. Hitchikers met expectations and trumped the craptacular-should-never-have-been-made-mindless-tripe that is XXX2.

Even though it met expectations it still isn't a large enough opening for a film like it which most likely had a hefty budget. Right now it's looking at a finish somewhere between $60-75 million. I do hope that it does good business on the home front though.

(and I liked xXx 2 :lookaroun :lol: )

ogryn

Production Budget was apparently $45,000,000... don't know about promotion.

I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

cherrynegra

I just saw the film today. My God, the last time I was in a theater with so many geeks was....um.....er....well I can't remember when, but anyway I thought it was a great film!! Although I have to admit I loved the BBC radio version. And the song in the beginning of the film will be playing in my head for the rest of the week!! I would definitely go back to see it. My favorite line is something like "I'll handle this. I'm English. I know how to queue." :lol:

Number_6

imagineer99 said:
Hitchiker has never really relied on a strong plot (as it's pretty much non-existent), instead it's always focused on a wry humor style and funny commentary.

No kidding. In my Junior year of High School, one of my English classes was made up of mostly Seniors, who of course graduated a month before everyone else was done. As a result, the teacher decided that instead of making a final exam for three people, she would just give us the same options for a final project as the Seniors. I chose to do a book report on HGTTG and ended up with an A+ for practically ignoring anything to do with Arthur and everyone else and focusing three pages on the Guide itself. :lol:

careship

Number_6 said:
No kidding. In my Junior year of High School, one of my English classes was made up of mostly Seniors, who of course graduated a month before everyone else was done. As a result, the teacher decided that instead of making a final exam for three people, she would just give us the same options for a final project as the Seniors. I chose to do a book report on HGTTG and ended up with an A+ for practically ignoring anything to do with Arthur and everyone else and focusing three pages on the Guide itself. :lol:

My 7th grader who is in an AP English/Literature class also had just finished a lengthy report on the HGTTG. Then he figured out there was going to be a movie. He was glad he read it and did his report then saw the movie and got a different perspective on it. (Plus, the teacher took the book off the list for this marking period due to the movies release.) It really is something that spans the ages though and everyone can make their own ideas of what it is all about when never knowing anything other than the book.

catinthehat

Original Poster
I loved it!! Thought the vogosphere scene was a nice addition to the story. The special effects were very cool also. I hope there is a sequel.

MKCP 1985

I saw it Sunday night, and didn't really know what to expect. Coming out, I didn't really know what I'd seen. :lol: Seriously, this movie strikes me as being a future cult classic a la Monte Python and the Holy Grail or Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Not likely to spawn a Tomorrowland attraction, but a movie of funny scenes, peculiar characters and memorizable one liners.

The run across the field where it is not a good idea to have an idea may have been my favorite scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom