Hint at a Tron presence in the parks

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
This isn't much, but the director of the upcoming Tron Legacy responded to a park-related query at special screening of the films new trailer in Los Angeles. Here's the relevant excerpt from the article at comingsoon.net:

When asked whether or not Disneyland would get a Flynn's Arcade, Kosinski smiled and said, "There are many things in the future. They are coming."

Here's the link for the entire article: The Tron Legacy Teaser Trailer Screened!

And, yes, I know it doesn't specifically mention Walt Disney World, but I believe it does cover the possibility of something happening here.

UPDATES

Even more talk from around the web. First is an article from Ain't It Cool News. Thanks to liverstealer for the find:

Ain't It Cool News said:
Promotion in Disney Parks

A highly trusted source conveyed the following about TL's forthcoming presence in Disney parks. This is, by no means, the only way TRON LEGACY will be evident at Disney Parks - this is just one piece of a larger push.

"RON Legacy checking in with you from Central Florida.
Last week I was having lunch with one of my [[[POSITION OMITTED BY MERRICK]]] in Orlando who filled me in on something cool that is going to be unveiled next week at the Walt Disney World Parks. Something internally they are calling the 'TRON-O-RAIL'.
Apparently the Motion Picture design team out in California have created a vinyl wrap that will encompass one of the Monorails that circle above the park. From what he's seen, it will make the Monorail look like a light-cycle from the upcoming TRON movie is riding the rails above you.
I guess the cab is the cycle and the rest of the cabins are the light trail? Sounds pretty neat. Not sure if there are any lights, sounds or effects that accompany it - but I for one can't wait to see it. Very cool that the parks are allowing this to be done to their transportation system! Hopefully it will run long enough to time out with the film's release. A step beyond the old People Mover that featured TRON in it years ago thats for sure. Too bad they didn't update the ALICE in WONDERLAND ride to make it tie into the new Tim Burton movie. Only a matter of time I bet.
Ron L."

The...TRON-O-RAIL?? Need some pictures of that. How bad-a** would it be if the outline of the TRON-O-RAIL glowed? If anyone out there ends-up in Disney Parks over the next couple of weeks, snap a few shots of this & send 'em in.

Blue Sky Disney chimes in with even more tidbits. ElecTRONic Chatter

Honor Hunter said:
Then there is the merchandise that you're going to see flood the parks come this October/November. Expect Tomorrowland to be filled with all things Tron. And some of the areas are being talked about getting "thematic" makeovers. If you're into Retro-Eighties with the Captain Eo attraction back for a limited run, then prepare for more, albeit fictional nostalgia. Should it get approved, you might get to see the arcade next to Space Mountain turned into a variation of "Flynn's Arcade." We'll cross our fingers and see if the Suits make the call on this one.

Naturally, there's the talk of a Tron attraction at Disneyland and various other theme parks. WDI is working on concepts for a Tron experience, but don't expect a fully immersive Tron Legacy attraction by the time the film opens. Any attraction wouldn't be seen in Tommowland until 2012 at the earliest... but that doesn't mean there won't be surprises between now and then.

I've been told that nothing has been signed off on for an E-Ticket, but Imagineers are working to create an impressive addition to the already talked about elaborate expansion of Disneyland for the sixtieth anniversary. While my Bothans were spare with the details since they are in the embryonic phase, they none-the-less said that the concepts are pure, Disney spectacle and absolute techno-geek magic. There are many things that are being planned in this blue sky phase, but remember that it's early. Just like the Tron universe, these designs/plans are likely to evolve.

More rumors from Screamscape, props to RSoxNo1:

Screamscape said:
(3/5/10) As wild as it sounds, one rumor going around the Disneyland Resort is WDI is in talks with Vekoma on creating a Tron Lightcycle themed version of their Booster Bike coaster. It’s just a Blue Sky idea right now, but I’m told the coaster system may have multiple launch zones to increase the speed of the ride as you approach and enter into a very twisted finale sequence. Sounds great to me.

Be sure to read the full articles for more information about the movie itself and other upcoming promotions, like an ENCOM press conference!

a2grafix

If Flynn's Arcade is a reality at Disneyland, WDW, or both -- where would it go? Tomorrowland for sure. Would Flynn's Arcade fit well inside the gift shop / exit for Space Mountain?

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
If Flynn's Arcade is a reality at Disneyland, WDW, or both -- where would it go? Tomorrowland for sure. Would Flynn's Arcade fit well inside the gift shop / exit for Space Mountain?

I could see it working quite well. It'd be a great excuse to completely redo the Space Mountain exit building. Personally, I'd like to maybe see the TTA plussed by being enveloped somewhere or expanded with the modern equivalent of the Disneyland PeopleMover SuperSpeed Tunnel.

NiarrNDisney

I agree I think it would make a great added addition to Tomorrowland. Lets just hope they dont decide to put in Disney Quest, Innoventions or some random spot in DHS.

wickedfan07

What is Flynn's Arcade existed in a storefront at DHS, maybe in Echo Lake or near the Streets of America?

It would be really neat to have something specifically for Tron in the parks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

hazelrah

A "Tron Arcade" was listed as coming to Communicore back when EPCOT first opened, but it never materialized. Maybe they'll bring it back!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What about opening a arcade in Downtown disney. Or renaming part of Disneyquest Flynn's? that would be cool

If DisneyQuest wasn't a nearly dead afterthought, it would be a good idea, but I don't think Disney wants to risk it there.

I think Future World at Epcot (as the original TRON was going to be in Communicore) or Tomorrowland are the only two realistic places they should have it

Exprcoofto

Like said earlier in this thread, TRON should have it's own attraction. However, I also feel the arcade at SM needs a good themed overlay, as the arcade by itself seems very mis placed in a Disney park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom