Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

maxairmike

I understood the toll diversions to be pre-calculated lump sum payments prior to lease/ROW usage agreement based on the way the conversation was going in the board meeting. If it were just a basic per-rider fee I doubt that would have been a serious point of contention because that's ongoing, regular revenue for CFX. After reading an article, it sounds like it could possibly be something renegotiated/payed on a longer timetable like annually based on evolving ridership and highway usage, but I'm still leaning towards some kind of lump sum payment in agreement for leasing/ROW access.

lazyboy97o

There is no way that the fee will be based per train, it will be based on the number of passengers and there will be a direct correlation between passenger numbers and fees paid to recoup lost revenue for the tolls.

Also, it can't be pointed out enough, trains aren't any louder then cars on an interstate unless they are honking their horns, which is only required at grade intersections under normal circumstances, and "quiet" zones can be added to areas.
I don’t think there would be a need for a calculation to be determined if it was just a fee per passenger.

I’m one who has said trains are not that much louder than the highway but NIMBYs are not usually concerned with such facts. They way the settlement was discussed my impression was that any expansion in the FL-417 corridor could be grounds for compensation.

But again, even if I am completely wrong about those issues, Brightline very clearly told CFX they are not going to be operating a more frequent service. They would be incredibly stupid to say that if they actually want to run a more frequent service.

TrainsOfDisney

But again, even if I am completely wrong about those issues, Brightline very clearly told CFX they are not going to be operating a more frequent service. They would be incredibly stupid to say that if they actually want to run a more frequent service.
Nobody is suggesting otherwise. Hourly service from MCO to Disney is hourly service. If there is demand for more you can add service. If there is excess service you can have less. That’s how transit works.

UNCgolf

Nobody is suggesting otherwise. Hourly service from MCO to Disney is hourly service. If there is demand for more you can add service. If there is excess service you can have less. That’s how transit works.

They may not be able to add service, though -- or may not want to.

I don't know what the plans are exactly, so this could be wrong, but it didn't sound like they were going to be running trains between MCO and Disney. It sounded like Disney was just going to be a single stop as part of the longer trip between Orlando and Miami (and eventually between Miami and Tampa).

I think that's the disconnect. Some people seem to be implying that Brightline is going to actually run a shuttle between MCO and Disney Springs with no other stops. Just back and forth between the two. And maybe they are, but it sure didn't sound like it. I also don't think that would really fit their business model. You don't need high speed trains to run a 15-20 mile route.

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I don’t think there would be a need for a calculation to be determined if it was just a fee per passenger.

I’m one who has said trains are not that much louder than the highway but NIMBYs are not usually concerned with such facts. They way the settlement was discussed my impression was that any expansion in the FL-417 corridor could be grounds for compensation.

I agree with it not being a fee per passenger because it is linked to the tolls. Every person on the train wouldn't have been driven their own car. It is probably more of a formula than a direct calculation.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't know what the plans are exactly, so this could be wrong, but it didn't sound like they were going to be running trains between MCO and Disney. It sounded like Disney was just going to be a single stop as part of the longer trip between Orlando and Miami (and eventually between Miami and Tampa).
Well sure. Amtrak and NJ transit don’t run dedicated shuttles from Newark international to New York Penn but people use it for just that everyday.

UNCgolf

Well sure. Amtrak and NJ transit don’t run dedicated shuttles from Newark international to New York Penn but people use it for just that everyday.

But nobody said people wouldn't use the train for that -- of course people will, and Brightline will be happy to have their money. They wouldn't have wanted a stop at Disney Springs if they didn't see that as a potential source of income. That's a completely different conversation than thinking Brightline is actually going to run a shuttle service.

UNCgolf

By default they are operating a shuttle service every hour.

That's not what a shuttle service is. Otherwise basically every passenger train in existence around the world is a shuttle service between every stop on their route. Nobody would have called the Orient Express a Paris to Munich shuttle service, for example.

It's also why they can't just suddenly decide to run trains between the two every 30 minutes instead, like you suggested above. That would require overhauling their entire service unless they have plans that are different than what's been announced thus far.

And by the way, I could still be wrong about this. We don't know their actual final plan yet. But nothing they've said so far suggests anything remotely like what some people on this thread have implied.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom