Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

World_Showcase_Lover007

4FBE3A1E-3FA7-448A-8824-1E4D310FC052.jpeg

lazyboy97o

And that was the prepandemic price when MDE was still a thing.

But also consider the problem of the Brightline being a potential direct and convenient link from Disney to USO. People would have an easy way to transfer to USO and split their trips.

On the surface this looked like a win for Disney, turns out not so much.
It wasn’t a direct link between Disney and Universal. It was Disney Springs to the convention center. People think a train and bus from the airport is too much. A bus, train and second bus to Universal wasn’t going to be the thing that really made people consider Universal.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

But also consider the problem of the Brightline being a potential direct and convenient link from Disney to USO. People would have an easy way to transfer to USO and split their trips.

Naturally with hotel prices at Universal, Disney stood to loose significant market share with the train stopping at both campuses.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't think this has anything to do with the logistics of getting people from the proposed Disney springs station to their specific destination within the Walt Disney World resort.

Walt Disney World just does not want all of its guest riding the train from the airport to Disney World to stop at Universal and international drive first.

WDW will not tolerate stop at their competitors station before their guests arrive at their station.

I actually agree with them on this, no reason to invest into a train that will drive right by (advertise) the competition with a large portion of your guests.

A much better plan would be direct transportation to and from the airport and your hotels… if only someone could think of a way to do that 🤦🏼‍♂️

lazyboy97o

I actually agree with them on this, no reason to invest into a train that will drive right by (advertise) the competition with a large portion of your guests.

A much better plan would be direct transportation to and from the airport and your hotels… if only someone could think of a way to do that 🤦🏼‍♂️
What was Disney investing? Brightline wanted the station, why would they not have paid for it?

M:SpilotISTC12

It wouldn't have been a convenient replacement for DME.

Besides, they got Mears, plus the very cool looking Sunshine Flyer busses now too.
My sarcasm didn't come through well enough. In the thread about DME ending, people were saying that the train was going to be the replacement for it. Obviously it never was going to be a legit replacement even when it was still happening. And I had to make fun of those posts.

Disone

The currently proposed Brightline route is dependent on the Orange County Penny Sales Tax for Transportation passing in November. So the odds of this route ever being built are pretty low.

I would love to be wrong, but I think it is very unlikely that Brightline will ever extend on new right of way beyond MCO.
I have not read anything associating the penny tax with the east-west route that Orlando mayor struck with SunRail and the iDrive corridor. He does not mention mayor Deming's penny tax. Which is not a penny tax It is a 1% rise in the sales tax.

I'm not saying you're wrong on that. I'm just saying I haven't read that. Have you specifically read that on any of the articles about this east-west expansion of sun rail to the convention center? And that's a genuine question. If you have, I would enjoy the link. If you haven't, then it's speculation and it still may be true, but I don't know it to be true at this moment.

TrainsOfDisney

I would love to be wrong, but I think it is very unlikely that Brightline will ever extend on new right of way beyond MCO.
It’s very likely. The brightline extension was never planned around that routing, universal, and area businesses want it, so brightline is willing to re-route it. Honestly, at this point brightline May be wishing they had said no to the re-route to keep Disney happy.
Which, outside of the New York to DC area, shows little utility for the majority that finance its operation... The rest of the US because it doesnt make a profit. Non-urban trains in the US move freight.
No form of transportation makes a profit and it’s all financed by the government to some degree.

natatomic

AND when gas was almost $3/gallon LESS.

Sir_Cliff

It’s very likely. The brightline extension was never planned around that routing, universal, and area businesses want it, so brightline is willing to re-route it. Honestly, at this point brightline May be wishing they had said no to the re-route to keep Disney happy.

No form of transportation makes a profit and it’s all financed by the government to some degree.
I know Disney is overall the big destination in the area, but is it possible Brightline makes more sense as transportation from the airport to the Convention Centre and I-Drive area than it does to Disney Springs? I don't know the area where the planned stations would be, but I would think the area is more densely packed with attractions and hotels such that it might serve as a more direct form of transportation to those things than it does delivering people essentially to one corner of WDW far away from almost anything other than Disney Springs.

It always struck me this make the most sense for day trippers from Florida to WDW who didn't want to drive, but Disney doesn't seem all that interested in that market anyway.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It wasn’t a direct link between Disney and Universal. It was Disney Springs to the convention center. People think a train and bus from the airport is too much. A bus, train and second bus to Universal wasn’t going to be the thing that really made people consider Universal.

I wonder what recently happened to change Disneys mind….

Maybe they don’t want a convenient way for people to get to USO so they’ve decided to start posturing and sink the entire thing?

TrainsOfDisney

is it possible Brightline makes more sense as transportation from the airport to the Convention Centre and I-Drive area than it does to Disney Springs?
Brightline doesn’t want to transport people from the airport to local destinations. For them, Epic Universe and Convention Center might be as appealing as Disney, but probably not.

It definitely makes more sense for sunrail, which is why we are here.

lazyboy97o

I know Disney is overall the big destination in the area, but is it possible Brightline makes more sense as transportation from the airport to the Convention Centre and I-Drive area than it does to Disney Springs? I don't know the area where the planned stations would be, but I would think the area is more densely packed with attractions and hotels such that it might serve as a more direct form of transportation to those things than it does delivering people essentially to one corner of WDW far away from almost anything other than Disney Springs.
There is some density around the convention center but it’s all north of the convention center which is itself a good bit north of the long planned station area.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I wonder what recently happened to change Disneys mind….

Maybe they don’t want a convenient way for people to get to USO so they’ve decided to start posturing and sink the entire thing?
classic Disney.

If it benefits anyone else and not just them, they want to sink it.

JoeCamel

Do you all follow Tommy Hawkins? DS station was never practical for anything except excursion traffic to and from MCO. There was never a straight through station the trains would have to back in and we know how backing and WDW works out.
Anyway if you haven't seen this why not and if you have why are you surprised this station is a non starter??

mysto

The impending launch of the UPPPE service (Universal Party Party Party Express) is going to shut this thing down hard and leave you all looking foolish!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom